Muzzleloaders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloaders

youngtacshooter
01-23-2005, 17:42
What is the best muzzle loader around 350.00? Is the Tompson Center omega good???

StockGlock23
01-23-2005, 18:55
Originally posted by youngtacshooter
What is the best muzzle loader around 350.00? Is the Tompson Center omega good???

Omegas are great guns. I personally don't own one but one of my hunting buddies does and he loves it. He has a .45 cal with the stainless barrel and it is a shooter.

youngtacshooter
01-23-2005, 20:45
Thanks for the reply. Would you recomend a 45 or a 50 caliber? I think most people use the 50.

nyredneck
01-23-2005, 21:27
50's are the most popular right now, but 45's are gaining in popularity, both will be lethal on deer sized animal and smaller, whatcha huntin'? I shoot a thompson fire hawk in 50 caliber, took the "10" right out of the bullseye at 100 yards with it (with scope)
I also have a thompson renegade in 50 cal. iron sights. shoots 3" groups at 100, but I've seen people do better!

nyredneck
01-23-2005, 21:29
BTW you CANNOT beat Thompson's customer service! Just recently I needed a new bolt handle for my fire hawk and because the part was under $3, they sent it to me free of charge!!;f

youngtacshooter
01-23-2005, 21:34
I will be hunting deer with it and maybe a hog if he comes by when im hunting. I dont know if i will be getting a scope for it or not.I shoot preaty good with iron sights and i feel more steady.

StockGlock23
01-23-2005, 22:08
The 50 cal bullets have a little more energy than than the 45 cal bullets but the 45s have a flatter trajectory. I suppose if you are planning the 100-150 range go with the 45. If under 100 go with the 50. But don't think for a second that a 50 cal will not be able to reach out to 150 yards. I have a 54 cal and I don't shoot over 75 yards simply because if I go past 100 yards it drops like a stone in water. Also don't believe all the hype about using 150 grains of powder. It is not really necessary. One hundred grains will drop a deer and you will not have to deal with that extra recoil. This is all my opinion so if anybody disagrees feel free to put in your two cents. ^c

noway
01-23-2005, 22:50
CVA makes some great affordable muzzleloaders so does knight. I still think the 50cal is superior as far as bullets ( conicals or sabot ) and the trajectory is not to be worry about. The 45cal are okay but if you are looking at havin clean killing power, the 50cal is the way to go.If you are like most ( shooting under 100yrds ) get the 50cal. I've shot a deer at 40yrds with 50cal CVA, and it fold up very nicely. the 50cal hands down, offer more and is more felxible in bullet or bullet/sabot combinations. Combine this with a percussion cap or 209 primer and you will have a good muzzleloader.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-23-2005, 23:29
$375 will get you a Thompson/Center Hawken rifle.

*click here* (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=9157&osCsid=905234a12ca3085b45ea886805035fff)

Edge
01-24-2005, 17:56
I have heard very good things about the TC Omega and the Savage. I will likely buy one of these two in .50 cal later this year. FWIW www.huntamerica.com has a forum for muzzleloaders with lots of ML shooters over there.

nyredneck
01-24-2005, 23:17
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony

*click here* (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=9157&osCsid=905234a12ca3085b45ea886805035fff)
I knew it was only a matter of time before Sixgun sniffed out this thread!;f

MDT
01-25-2005, 20:28
;f ;f ;f Yeah, Sixgun is really a closet "inline" guy!!!;f ;f ;f

MDT

WunderDog
01-26-2005, 11:14
I have had the Savage 10MLII muzzleloader for a year now and love it. You have to check if shooting smokeless powder is legal in your state for hunting but that is all I have used. It is a tackdriver out to 200 yds and can be loaded hot enough to get energies near .458 Win Mag. With the Accu-trigger it is truly an awesome gun. I hunt with that instead of a shotgun in NY because of the better range and accuracy.

Skyhook
01-26-2005, 11:31
Originally posted by nyredneck
50's are the most popular right now, but 45's are gaining in popularity, both will be lethal on deer sized animal and smaller, whatcha huntin'? I shoot a thompson fire hawk in 50 caliber, took the "10" right out of the bullseye at 100 yards with it (with scope)
I also have a thompson renegade in 50 cal. iron sights. shoots 3" groups at 100, but I've seen people do better!
Would ya care to share info on your fav loads??
My brother and I have been hunting with the TC Encores for a couple of years and hittin' that 'X' is still but a goal. In order to group around 3", we both need to clean between shots. Maybe we're just in need of a little more practice?;)

MrMurphy
01-26-2005, 12:21
Don't overlook the sidelock guns.

I don't like inlines, I'm a traditionalist.

youngtacshooter
01-26-2005, 16:18
WunderDog,how much is that savage 10MLII muzzleloader?

nyredneck
01-27-2005, 00:00
With the renegade I use 100 grains of pyrodex powder and conicals, nothing special, just real comfortable with the gun. I run a copper brush down it after 3 rounds or so.

With the firehawk I use 2 pyrodex pellets (100 grains) and power belt sabots. I have a weaver 3x9 on it with #11 cap ignition (although I will be going to 209 primers before next season) I run a patch through every 3 round out of necesitty, i can't run the sabot down the barrel without "cleaning " it! Here's a pic from this past hunting season. We got back to camp and I wanted to make sure my gun was still on (just wanted to hear a "boom" after an uneventful day!:) ) it's at 100 yards off a rest. The other "less than perfect" shot was my Father-in-law, also at 100 yards off a rest. (he's shooting an Omega, not the gun's fault, he never sights them in well!);f

noway
01-27-2005, 08:53
If that target was a deer, it would be dead. Nice shooing ;)

WunderDog
01-27-2005, 09:13
The Savage is a little more than the 350 you mentioned in your first post. The best prices I have seen lately are 400-450 for the black synthetic/blued modelThe nice thing is that you can shop around and order one online without having to worry about the FFL pain in the neck. If you decide to get one, I would be glad to point you in the direction of some good websites for info and share some starting load data with you.

youngtacshooter
01-27-2005, 17:12
Ok thanks Im still not sure about what gun I want. What about the Traditons Evolution It only cost 230.00 and has a fluted barrel on It. Here are some picture's of the gun. http://www.traditionsmuzzle.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Muzzleloaders%3A+Evolution+Long+Distance+%28In+Lines%29. The only thing I dont like about It Is It's a bolt action. Do you like the break-open or bolt for a muzzleloader? Thanks for all the replies.

youngtacshooter
01-27-2005, 17:16
Sorry that link didn't come out right just go to muzzleloaders at the top then go to Evolution long distance.

noway
01-27-2005, 17:32
technically they are neither, since you load them from the muzzle. nothing is insert in to a "action" per se.

But I perfer the simple percussion cap ignition with easy to reach access and you can get at the nipple.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-27-2005, 19:03
Originally posted by youngtacshooter
The only thing I dont like about It Is It's a bolt action.

I really recommend getting a traditional rifle. They are reliable when you have studied and practiced enough to become proficient with the old style firearms. The round ball is deadly on game.

Really, the hunting experience will be much more satisfying if you take your game the old way.

The T/C Hawken rifle is a great weapon for a newbie. After a few years you will want to move on to a custom flintlock rifle.

Sixgun_Symphony
01-27-2005, 19:04
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421555920/5.jpg

My 50 caliber Hawken rifle. It was made by Traditions, my advise is that you go for the Thompson Center Hawken instead. T/C produces quality guns, while Traditions is not so good.

Still, it is accurate enough for minute of deer. I will be getting in more practice this summer. Not bad for a used gun that I bought for $100. I call it my "canoe gun" because I won't fret too much if the canoe should tip over.

nyredneck
01-27-2005, 20:06
Originally posted by noway
If that target was a deer, it would be dead. Nice shooing ;)
Thanks, too bad I never saw a deer while muzzleloading this year! :( I tend to only see deer muzzleloading when it's pouring buckets out, I have my renegade side hammer and my powder is soaked!:( Oh well, that's why we do it, for the challege!;f

Sixgun_Symphony
01-28-2005, 01:23
Thanks, too bad I never saw a deer while muzzleloading this year! :( I tend to only see deer muzzleloading when it's pouring buckets out, I have my renegade side hammer and my powder is soaked!:( Oh well, that's why we do it, for the challege!;f

Make sure the cap is tight on the nipple, then drip a bit of hot wax on the cap to waterproof it. Don't use too much though, just a little bit.

BlackBelt
01-28-2005, 08:31
For your price range, check into CVA's Optima Pro Break-Action Muzzleloader. You should be able to get the gun, and maybe a low-powered scope for about $350 from Cabelas.
I bought one this past year, and it is accurate. Mine came in Mossy Oak camo finish with a a blued barrel, and a scope and mounts for $330 shipped.
That break-open action is great for everything from cleaning to putting the shotgun primer in, and needs no de-capping tool.
Great bargain, and a gun that will last you for the rest of your life.

noway
01-28-2005, 08:46
{Thanks, too bad I never saw a deer while muzzleloading this year! I tend to only see deer muzzleloading when it's pouring buckets out}

ain't that the truth.Down here it more like you see all the deer that you can see before and after the deer season. They seems to go in stealth mode when arrows & bullets starts to fly. ;f

Skyhook
01-28-2005, 09:06
One other consideration of mine in selecting the TC Encore (besides the break-open characteristic)was the easy change-out to another caliber, giving me the possibility to have several rifles on one system. I have done so with the SS heavy BBL .223 w/Leupold scope, and that thing is a fantastic rodent gun. TC has a large selection of shotgun and rifle bbls for the Encore, and that helped me decide on the 209X.50. I would also recommend TC's excellent customer care dept.

muddydog
01-28-2005, 23:50
i have tons of experience with alot of BP rifles..

i like caplocks...and i like inlines..

my favorite of all is my Renegade i made from a kit...
alot of deer...have been mutated into sausage with that beast.

50 caliber round ball...will take them clean. a very efficient killer.

i have several inlines ....currently..have gotten rid of many others.

i like Knights...pure and simple in these now.

you can get a knight disc...from sportsmans guide..or natchez for under 350.

fantastic guns..
get SS if you can.

f1b32oPTic
01-30-2005, 13:33
i am looking at the lyman plains rifles for hunting this upcoming muzzleloader season.

i believe i will be getting the 1-60 twist barrel for the patched round balls and a cap side lock.

midwayusa has them on their website

RugerFan58
01-30-2005, 14:58
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony

*click here* (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=9157&osCsid=905234a12ca3085b45ea886805035fff) That one looks to be a used T/C. Check out Nanchess on-line. They used to sell the Renegade brand new for $389. Only difference from the Hawken is it doesn't have the brass on it. You also have the option of .54 or .58 . You should be able to check out a picture of one at Fox Ridge Outfitters or Nanchess. ;c

RugerFan58
01-30-2005, 15:05
Thanks, too bad I never saw a deer while muzzleloading this year! :( I tend to only see deer muzzleloading when it's pouring buckets out, I have my renegade side hammer and my powder is soaked!:( Oh well, that's why we do it, for the challege!;f After I put my musket cap on I spread a thin layer of Natural Lube 1000 on my nipple and cap. Never had a FTF since I was taught to do this by a old timer. It repels all moisture. ;c

nyredneck
01-30-2005, 21:39
Originally posted by RugerFan58
After I put my musket cap on I spread a thin layer of Natural Lube 1000 on my nipple and cap. Never had a FTF since I was taught to do this by a old timer. It repels all moisture. ;c

Man, there are a bunch of pervs in here! Sixgun told Me to pour hot wax on my nipple, you're telling me to lube my nipple up!;f Seriously though, thanks for the advice, I always put tape over my barell, but really didn't think about my nipple!

Sixgun_Symphony
02-01-2005, 15:38
:joker: ;z ;e

youngtacshooter
02-03-2005, 19:07
I think if i can get the money I'll go with the omega.