Now what is wrong with my computer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Now what is wrong with my computer?

harlenm
01-25-2005, 09:25
So my old computer died(previous thread). All my data was on my hard drive, so that became by slave drive so I can transfer my files.

Now this computer doesn't work good, and I'm wondering if it is the drive that is causing it.

The computer starts up fine, and will run good for a little while. But eventually the cpu starts running at 100% even when nothing is running, and the computer is impossible to move.

I'm trying to transfer important files off of the slave to my external drive as a backup, and then I plan on formatting the slave and use it as a drive for data storage.

However, I'm wondering if the drive is bad, or this is something on that drive that is corrupting my machine, and I'm thinking about disconnecting it. But I need the space.

What's the problem?!?!

HerrGlock
01-25-2005, 10:27
You're running Microsoft software. What do you expect?

`l `l `l
(I crack myself up)

DanH

harlenm
01-25-2005, 10:29
Thanks for the helpful response.

fastvfr
01-25-2005, 11:15
Harlen, all you can do is try different configurations. Experiment a little...does it still pooch out on you when the second drive is unplugged?

And check that you have no viruses or spyware. Also check the Task Manager's Processes box before and after the slowdown...you may have something running you didn't know about. If you see something running after the slowdown that wasn't there before, try Ending it. Ignore the popup and click End Now.

If it speeds up again, there's your gremlin!

Good luck.

harlenm
01-25-2005, 11:35
No spyware, and not aware of any viruses, but I'll run a virus check again.

I haven't tried running it without the second drive.

How about his one, if I go to the task manager processes list, the other day I had like 88 processes running, this morning I had 66 running. But, there are only about 20-25 that show up in the box.

I will try unplugging the second drive tonight and try it out. I think all the stuff on that drive has been copied, so I think I'm ready to format it anyway.

PS, it's a P4 2.66ghz with 512 megs of ram(256 x 2). I have a 512meg stick that I'm going to put in so I can have 768 megs(only two slots on this mobo)

CranialCrusader
01-25-2005, 19:38
Originally posted by harlenm
No spyware, and not aware of any viruses, but I'll run a virus check again.\

Just because your virus and spyware checks come up clean, does not mean you do not have any viruses or spyware... sure sounds like you do!

CranialCrusader

SamBuca
01-25-2005, 20:01
Originally posted by HerrGlock
You're running Microsoft software. What do you expect?

Oh boy ;Q

harlen..go to this thread:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329414

Follow the instructions. After the MS Anti-Spyware scan, you'll want to be absolutely sure you have the current spyware signature files (File -> Check for updates) and then rescan by doing a full system scan. Click "more scan options" and then choose the full system scan...make sure all 3 full scan options are chosen.

I just did that 5 mins ago on a customer's machine...the quick scan didn't pick up the embedded crap.

Furant
01-25-2005, 21:52
Originally posted by harlenm
How about his one, if I go to the task manager processes list, the other day I had like 88 processes running, this morning I had 66 running. But, there are only about 20-25 that show up in the box.Not sure what you mean only 20-25 show up in the box, but I am surfing several sites on the web, burning a DVD and editing a Word doc right now and I only have 29 processes (326 threads) running, including my Anti-virus and multimedia TSRs (is that even a term anymore?).

Start right-clicking some of the icons in your task tray and disabling the non-critical ones. You may also want to clean out the Startup directory in your Start Menu and run MSCONFIG to make sure only things that you want to run are actually running.

Finally, start looking through your Windows Services and disabling or switching to Manual startup anything that isn't critical (do Google searches on the Service names if you're not sure what it does).

Joey

SamBuca
01-25-2005, 22:27
Start right-clicking some of the icons in your task tray and disabling the non-critical ones. You may also want to clean out the Startup directory in your Start Menu and run MSCONFIG to make sure only things that you want to run are actually running.

Finally, start looking through your Windows Services and disabling or switching to Manual startup anything that isn't critical (do Google searches on the Service names if you're not sure what it does).

This advice will most likely render your system inoperable, as well as leave it in a half-diagnostic mode state. Unless you can clearly explain what each and every little thing does, DO NOT touch it. Windows doesn't like when you play with things.

Soujurn
01-26-2005, 01:54
Install Zonealarm if you haven't already and don't let anything connect to the internet you don't want connecting.

Recently I had a computer that I was working on and installed ZA. When I connected it to the network, ZA informed me of about a half dozen programs that wanted to connect to the internet.
All were spyware programs that Symantec and Adaware did not detect or delete.

So use multiple tools to scan and clean your hardrives.

And by the way, one of the complaints of this computers owner was that his computer kept slowing down and often crashing during games.
It was all those programs trying to communicate with their HTTP homes that was doing it.

Furant
01-26-2005, 08:23
Originally posted by SamBuca
This advice will most likely render your system inoperable, as well as leave it in a half-diagnostic mode state. Unless you can clearly explain what each and every little thing does, DO NOT touch it. Windows doesn't like when you play with things. Good point Sam. I actually was recommending MSCONFIG just to view what was running. I never make the changes in there directly. I did mention to only disable the taskbar and services that were non-critical, but obviously there's a lot of legwork that goes into determining whether something is critical or not.

Sorry for any confusion or system corruption caused.;a

Sgt. Schultz
01-26-2005, 21:59
I found this site a few years ago http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php it's very helpful in identifying the applications that are running on your computer. You can use this list along with MSCONFIG and disable any unnecessary programs.

Here is another site: http://www.what-process.com/lists.aspx