Planning a camping trip. Need help please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Planning a camping trip. Need help please

E^jwt
01-25-2005, 16:31
Hey guys, myself and a group of friends are planning to get together for a summer camping trip this year. What national forests do you all recomend and is it gun friendly? thanks

mpol777
01-25-2005, 16:47
Can you narrow it down a bit? There's a few hundred million acres of national forest and wilderness out there.

RMTactical
01-25-2005, 19:32
Originally posted by mpol777
Can you narrow it down a bit? There's a few hundred million acres of national forest and wilderness out there.

No kidding.

vafish
01-25-2005, 20:13
Giving us a state would help a lot.

E^jwt
01-25-2005, 21:16
Ooops. sorry folks. We're looking at Tennesse and South Carolina at the moment. However, we are still open to anywhere within a reasonable driving distance from Louisiana. We were thinking along the lines of a 10 day trip in the field with two extra days dedicated to driving there and back. Thanks again.

shrpshtr
01-30-2005, 00:10
i don't know about tennesse but i can speak for SC. you aren't allowed to even possess firearms on public land except for purposes of taking game during respective seasons. there may be exceptions to that rule but i don't know of any. most public land also prohibits camping except in designated camp sites which don't allow firearms.

i would definitely lean towards TN unless you wanted to enjoy coastal marsh/beach camping. i wouldn't consider camping in SC at all after june...it's way too hot.

if you're willing to drive that far, look at NC. they have some great spots up in the mountains that are fair weathered and have great fishing for trout. my favorite spot up there is in brevard, NC at pisgah national forest. they prohibit guns too though. (note, i would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 if you know what i mean.) don't take this as approval by any means but...i have spoken with a couple of different rangers/conservation officers in the pisgah area and explained my safety concerns with the local wildlife (bears, etc.) and my 6 year old child etc. they were more than understanding about safety being the biggest concern and even went as far as implying that there are always justifiable exceptions if the situation called for it.

hth!

E^jwt
02-01-2005, 11:54
Thanks a lot.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-01-2005, 14:30
Gun friendly camping sites?

You could join the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA), they have campgrounds available for members. It costs about $40 to join.

Click on the link in my signature line for more information.

valkyrie182
02-04-2005, 23:21
If you are looking for Tennessee, I would most definitely recommend Big South Fork River and Recreation Area. It is right along the northern Tenn and KY border. It has some incredible trails, anywhere from 5 miles to over 40. Great canoeing. I spent about a week there last summer, and it was absolutely incredible. Cliffs and bluffs run for miles, few hundred feet high. It has everything, hiking, backcountry camping, canoeing, climbing, everything. And, if you just want to see the sites and not really rough it, there is a nice campground in the main area of the rec area. Definitely worth checking out.
Apparently, I am incapable of speaking in complete sentances, but it is still a nice place.

RugerFan58
02-06-2005, 17:49
Originally posted by valkyrie182
If you are looking for Tennessee, I would most definitely recommend Big South Fork River and Recreation Area. It is right along the northern Tenn and KY border. It has some incredible trails, anywhere from 5 miles to over 40. Great canoeing. I spent about a week there last summer, and it was absolutely incredible. Cliffs and bluffs run for miles, few hundred feet high. It has everything, hiking, backcountry camping, canoeing, climbing, everything. And, if you just want to see the sites and not really rough it, there is a nice campground in the main area of the rec area. Definitely worth checking out.
Apparently, I am incapable of speaking in complete sentances, but it is still a nice place. Alot of waterfalls there at Big South Fork River. Not sure about firearms being allowed? My wife and I were there last Febuary. Nobody was there. Had pretty much the place to ourselves. We wanted to check out The Great Smokey Mts. but the parkway was closed because of snow covered roads. Beautiful country around there. We're going to The Grand Canyon this September. Whenever we go camping at places like this we're careful that no one knows whether or not a gun is at out site. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Be careful but be safe. Bring you camera too !!;c