computer woes... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : computer woes...

MDT
01-25-2005, 21:53
Hopefully someone can give me some pointers on what is happening to my laptop. Let me give some history....

I have a pretty juicy Dell Inspiron, not overly souped up, but decent. I have been kind of paraniod about all the viruses and such out there, so upon the advice of my father-in-law, I have installed several anti-spyware programs. These are: Spybot S&D, Spywareblaster, Ad-aware and Spyguard (overkill?). Also, Win-patrol, Norton Antivirus subsription. I am on wireless broadband, and was told that there is a firewall at our router we had installed in our house.

Alright, I am probably over doing it. If so, please tell me.

So, I recently downloaded the MS service pack II, as instructed by the little update messages that you get. It seesm that ever since I installed SP II, my computer is doing very strange things.

I am locking up almost every session, requiring a restart of the system. Also, web pages will load fragmented and "hang up" before fully loading. It seems my system is running much slower now. Just lots of llittle things that make me think that SP II did this.

Do you all have any suggestions on troubleshooting? I tried to do a System Restore, and I haven't created any restore points lately, I couldn't find one to successfully restore the system.

I am very frustrated. I have run vurus checks, bot checks, adware checks, and nothing identified.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....

MDT

vastdavidson
01-25-2005, 21:58
Add/Remove programs...remove SP2 for XP. Reboot...Test
Make sure you have the latest Ad-aware. Go to download.com and type ad-aware SE. Download and run it again.
You can also go to www.trendmiro.com and do a free scan.
If everything checks out then install SP2 again and see how it goes.

Good luck!

Washington,D.C.
01-25-2005, 21:58
Microsoft recommends setting a system restore point before installing SP2.Also recommended is installing SP2 in safe mode.You could try a system rescue with the Windows XP CD.That would lose the windows updates then you could start again.

fastvfr
01-26-2005, 12:54
I downloaded the offline version of SP2.

The nearly-270MB standalone installer is not only handier but it gives the user a lot more control over the process, as you can be sure that it won't install anything besides the SP.

Plus, you can burn it to disk and have it in case a reformat (or a new PC) comes into the picture.

Good luck.

Sgt. Schultz
01-26-2005, 20:39
My IT department installed Windows XP Service pack 2 on several different test computers we found it to cause more problems then it solves. It has cause system slowdowns, network outages, and in some cases boot failures, and lets not forget software conflicts. Microsoft has a LONG list of programs and games that will not function properly after installing SP2, including several of its own products like Visual Studio.Net, Operations Manager, SQL Server and Systems Management Server software. Also among the most high-profile products listed by Microsoft are antivirus applications from Symantec, network management software made by Computer Associates International, and multimedia tools from Macromedia.

SP2 also includes a built in firewall that may prevent computers from properly connecting to outside networks, limiting systems' abilities to effectively receive data. Some of the problems caused by the update include issues with remote desktops, file sharing, e-mail notifications and online multiplayer games.

Microsoft has also identified incompatibilities between SP2 and AMD 64-bit processors and certain Intel Pentium 4 and Celeron D processors that prevent Windows XP from booting normally.

The list goes on and on and on and on … you get the idea.

Microsoft has a big checklist/suggestions of "what to do before installing sp2", like backing up your hard disk and eliminating spyware and adware (which tend to lock up IE after you install SP2), Microsoft also recommends that you update your hardware drivers before installing SP2

Removing service pack 2 is a major pain because it removes/replaces a good portion of SP1, the easiest thing to do is wipe the system and install a fresh copy of XP with SP1 only.

At the present time you can still download any new security update at the Microsoft web site without SP 2, by the time this option becomes unavailable and MS requires SP2 all of the "fixes" should be corrected.

RaiderRodney
01-27-2005, 19:38
I had hell poured upon me when I put SP2 on my pc :(

If you do a fresh install and immediately put SP2 on it will work fine though. I tried going back and un-installing SP2 to no evail. Good luck.

Sgt. Schultz
01-27-2005, 20:13
We are a global corporation and the IT departments at four different locations ran several scenarios installing service pack 2 on test machines and the results convinced us that it caused more problems then it solved. Service Pack 2 was installed on computers with and without SP1, on computers the OS only and computers with all of the applications installed. The Computers we use differ depending upon location; we use Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, Toshiba and even a few eMachine’s.

At the present time you can still download any new security update at the Microsoft web site without Service Pack 2 installed on your computer. I suggest that you wait for Service Pack 2A ... and then wait a few months after its release to let others find the issues with it.

gamegod86
01-27-2005, 21:10
ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances...

I installed SP2 several weeks ago on my HP laptop, and have not had a single anomaly.

go figure...

Sgt. Schultz
01-27-2005, 21:26
Originally posted by gamegod86
ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances...

I installed SP2 several weeks ago on my HP laptop, and have not had a single anomaly.

go figure...

I have two identical (and I mean identical) computers in my home office, one works perfectly with SP2 and the other worked fine for about 10 days and then all hell broke loose and I had to wipe out the system ... go figure!

fastvfr
01-27-2005, 23:01
My experience has shown that about 50% of the XP machines go ****-up upon installing SP2, 25% are able to limp along, and 25% have no issues.

When installed in Safe Mode or into a brand-new installation (or when slipstreamed) then 75% or so work fine and 25% die a horrible death until the SP2 is removed...or the HDD is formatted again and the SP1a version is installed.

YMMV, but I doubt it will by much...

Bronson7
01-28-2005, 07:51
The only way I could load SP2 with any reliability was to slip stream it. Appeared to work fine on all my apps except video conferencing through msn messenger. As I keep in touch with my Kids/grandkids/fiance this way, I opted to do a fresh install of my original XP Sp1a cd. No more problems and no more updates for the time being and it's staying that way. I've been running ZoneAlarm and Avast with Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D. SP2 was just not worth it for me.
Reformatting and a fresh load are far less frustrating for me than trying to get a botched OS to work.
Bronson7

Washington,D.C.
01-28-2005, 13:06
On the PC I have XP,I installed SP2 from CD.Found iso image of cd at a university.Nero cd burning software gave me a message that it needs an update for SP2.I have other cd burning software on that machine.I don't really use Nero but it came with the cd writer.It does take much longer for that PC to boot now.But everything seems to work fine.I got a message to switch off one of the firewalls,XP or Norton.I tried them together and no problems there.XP needs to have the prefetch cleaned.Use http://www.ccleaner.com cleans a bunch of junk quickly.