Browser Showdown: Firefox vs. IE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Browser Showdown: Firefox vs. IE

gamegod86
01-26-2005, 22:31
link (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/firefox_vs_internet_explorer.html)

Browser Showdown
Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
By Brian Briggs

Other tech sites will bore you with in-depth "technical details" and performance specs in their product analysis. At BBspot we pull back from the boring benchmarks to compare the superficialities, and we do it all on a single page. Now that Firefox is gaining ground on Internet Explorer it is time to compare the two face to face.
Names

FirefoxInternet Explorer - Microsoft leaves no doubt what their products are. If they made toilet paper it would be called Butt Wiper. Internet Explorer isn't a bad name, but it's not spectacular.

Firefox - On the other end of the spectrum, the name Firefox gives no clue to what it is. Could be a car? 80s video game? Lame comic book superhero? Flaming dish at a wild game restaurant? A browser would probably be your last guess. No matter, it is a much cooler name than the utilitarian Internet Explorer.

Advantage - Firefox

Domain Names

FirefoxFirefox - firefox.com Some kind soul donated the domain to the Mozilla Foundation. At least they own their own domain name.

Internet Explorer - internetexplorer.com Microsoft doesn't even own this one. It's one of those generic search portals masquerading as an IE site.

Advantage - Firefox

Mascots

Internet ExplorerInternet Explorer - The big blue e with a swirly around it. A nice simple graphic, but not necessarily a mascot. However, with Microsoft's history of mascots (Clippy, Bob), maybe it's better they just stick with a letter.

FirefoxFirefox - A giant fox with his tail on fire attacking the earth. That's the stuff of nightmares. Not as scary as a communist Godzilla but close. It's a cool graphic but Internet Explorer has to win something doesn't it?

Advantage - Internet Explorer

Google Fights

Why does Internet Explorer crash all the time? - 2.57 million results

Vs.

Why does Firefox crash all the time? - 218,000 results

Next...

Internet Explorer - 22.8 million results

Vs.

Firefox - 23 million results

That one is definitely a surprise.

Next...

Internet Explorer will help me get laid - 1.34 million results

Vs.

Firefox will help me get laid - 75,700 results

A much better chance of getting lucky with IE.

Next...

Internet Explorer came with my computer - 6.9 million results

Vs.

Firefox came with my computer - 659,000 results

Tie breaker...

Internet ExplorerInternet Explorer is the best browser ever - 2,110,000 results

Vs.

Firefox is the best browser ever - 474,000 results

Advantage: Internet Explorer

Coin Flip - Best of 7

The coin flip was conducted using a 2000 Sacajawea dollar.

FirefoxInternet Explorer - Heads

Firefox - Tails

Results: H-T-T-T-T-H-T

Advantage - Firefox

Stereotypical User

Internet Explorer - Brain dead newbie. Loves pop-ups, viruses, and spyware. Just wants to "surf the Internet and check my email." Oblivious to alternative lifestyles. Seeks help from "computer smart" nephew.

Firefox - Proselytizing ubergeek. Loves freedom, choice, and tabbed browsing. Just wants to "improve mankind with Open Source Software." Oblivious to market forces and the power of money. Seeks other geeks to join in on the evangelism.

Both are equally annoying.

Advantage - Even

Conclusions

It was a close battle, but Firefox edges out a victory against the Internet Explorer by a score of 3-2 with 1 tie and wins our Technical Award of Excellence.

fastvfr
01-27-2005, 00:03
Well, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that this result came as no surprise to the proselytizing ubergeeks I know.

Cryptoboy
01-27-2005, 09:59
I'll stick to Crazy Browser, thanks! :) Best of both worlds!

RaiderRodney
01-27-2005, 19:33
Originally posted by fastvfr
Well, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that this result came as no surprise to the proselytizing ubergeeks I know.

Hmm...so I am a proselytizing ubergeek. Oh well...I like it ;f

gamegod86
01-27-2005, 20:52
Maybe this one is sillier. This stuff probably belongs in the OAF...

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool
Removes Internet Explorer
By Brian Briggs

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

AntiSpywareMicrosoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

"It shows how powerful our AntiSpyware program is," said Weatherbee. "Not only is it able to remove spyware from the system, but also the source of most spyware. Our competitors can't match that."

A representative from Lavasoft, which sells Ad-Aware another spyware removal program, complained that Microsoft was using its monopoly and knowledge of the operating system to "offer features that others can't match."

"Tough (toenails)," said Weatherbee.

Many computer users did not view this new "feature" positively. "I tried to check the weather this morning and all my little blue 'e' icons were missing. I couldn't get to the Internet at all. I guess I'll have to get a new computer," said Windows XP user Graham Newton.
Related News

Users of alternative browsers were happy to see Internet Explorer gone. Thad Freeman of the Mozilla Users Group said, "I've been trying for years to get rid of Internet Explorer. I never imagined that Microsoft would do it for me. I'm ecstatic."

Microsoft technical support was advising customers to reinstall Windows to regain Internet access and to disable automatic updates.

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by 95% this morning.

AJE
01-27-2005, 21:52
I love Firefox.

NightWolfe
01-27-2005, 22:52
While I like and usually use IE .. Opera is still the best and easily kicks FireFoxes ass anyday .. Mouse Gestures Rock !!!

gamegod86
01-28-2005, 06:23
;f ;f ;f ;g

If you trust the news, check out what they are reporting as genuine.

So much for fact checking in the Pakistani press...;Q

(Just in case you didn't "get it," both stories in this thread are totally fiction.)

http://www.inp.net.pk/engdetail.asp?nid=17686

Microsoft's anti-spyware tool removes Internet Explorer
NEW YORK, Jan 19 (inp) Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic update, were taken aback as the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

Microsoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

"It shows how powerful our AntiSpyware program is," said Weatherbee. "Not only is it able to remove spyware from the system, but also the source of most spyware. Our competitors can't match that."

A representative from Lavasoft, which sells Ad-Aware another spyware removal program, complained that Microsoft was using its monopoly and knowledge of the operating system to "offer features that others can't match."

Many computer users did not view this new "feature" positively. "I tried to check the weather this morning and all my little blue "e" icons were missing. I couldn't get to the Internet at all. I guess I'll have to get a new computer," said Windows XP user Graham Newton.

Users of alternative browsers were happy to see Internet Explorer gone. Thad Freeman of the Mozilla Users Group said, "I've been trying for years to get rid of Internet Explorer. I never imagined that Microsoft would do it for me. I'm ecstatic."

Microsoft technical support was advising customers to reinstall Windows to regain Internet access and to disable automatic updates.

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by 95% this morning.

inp/mt/sa