Help with Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Card? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Card?

ArmoredSaint
01-27-2005, 18:34
I'm looking to install a Hi-speed USB Card 2.0 to take advantage of my iPOD that uses that speed on my Sony VAIO PC running Windows XP, is it just a plug and play controller card? And will my other built-in USB's still work? I assume it is backwards compatible and the cards seem pretty cheap.

Thanks!

fastvfr
01-27-2005, 22:48
Older, slower machines usually need drivers installed, but a P4 class rig with XP SP! or later installed ought to work just fine as is.

And if you can, buy one with 4 ports so you can stop using the 1.1 USB for anything.

There is a 40X speed advantage in USB 2.0's favor, you know!

bobby_w
01-28-2005, 06:28
I would get a Firewire/USB/Combo Card. iPod plays/works better with Firewire for some reason. Most of the iPod MSWindows problems I see at http://www.iPodLounge.com are USB related.

Are you sure your VAIO does not already have a Firewire port? Most Sony's do. Sony calls it i-Link.

ArmoredSaint
01-28-2005, 10:42
Originally posted by bobby_w
I would get a Firewire/USB/Combo Card. iPod plays/works better with Firewire for some reason. Most of the iPod MSWindows problems I see at http://www.iPodLounge.com are USB related.

Are you sure your VAIO does not already have a Firewire port? Most Sony's do. Sony calls it i-Link.

You are the man! I do have a firewire and your right, it's called the i.LINK S400, but why the hell would they do that to confuse me :D, but is the firewire self-powered like USB ports? Also, I'm running out of USB ports too and a 4 or 5 port is a great idea.

Thanks!

bobby_w
01-28-2005, 18:20
Originally posted by ArmoredSaint
You are the man! I do have a firewire and your right, it's called the i.LINK S400, but why the hell would they do that to confuse me :D, but is the firewire self-powered like USB ports? Also, I'm running out of USB ports too and a 4 or 5 port is a great idea.

Thanks!

Sony was one of the first PC Mfg's to implement FireWire. Plus it just sounded better to the marketing slugs.

The FireWire ports are powered. I have my iPod dock plugged into one of my machines to sync iTunes and charge iPod.

I also bought Apples stereo connection kit to connect iPod up to my Home Entertainment Center. It comes with an additional dock, power supply and a Monster Cable. I have all my CD's in iPod (3000 songs). It also charges iPod at the same time. I just hit shuffle and away it goes for days of music.

ArmoredSaint
01-28-2005, 19:38
Originally posted by bobby_w
Sony was one of the first PC Mfg's to implement FireWire. Plus it just sounded better to the marketing slugs.

The FireWire ports are powered. I have my iPod dock plugged into one of my machines to sync iTunes and charge iPod.

I also bought Apples stereo connection kit to connect iPod up to my Home Entertainment Center. It comes with an additional dock, power supply and a Monster Cable. I have all my CD's in iPod (3000 songs). It also charges iPod at the same time. I just hit shuffle and away it goes for days of music.

I just did what you mentioned and switched from USB to firewire too, a big difference in speed updating the iPOD.

Also brought a new USB 2.0 card from newegg.com for $20 with 5 ports! BTW, how can you tell if your stuff (ex. camera, scanner and etc.) does 2.0 or not? Do I need new USB 2.0 cables or will the regular USB cables work just fine?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again!

bobby_w
01-28-2005, 20:24
Originally posted by ArmoredSaint
....Also brought a new USB 2.0 card from newegg.com for $20 with 5 ports! BTW, how can you tell if your stuff (ex. camera, scanner and etc.) does 2.0 or not? Do I need new USB 2.0 cables or will the regular USB cables work just fine?....

Your other equipment will work. USB 2.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB 1.0.

I have not had to change out any cables, to-date. Maybe I have just been lucky.