Problem With Reloading WinXP Pro [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Reloading WinXP Pro

saber41
01-28-2005, 22:56
I'm trying to help a friend of mine who downloaded and installed some updates from MS, rebooted her PC and presto!!
It was fubared !! The PC would not boot.

No problem, I reformatted the HDD and reinstalled WinXP Pro.
Being curious as to what she did, I redownloaded the updates from Windows Update, rebooted, and to no suprise, the PC would not boot (an error message said that it was missing a file, I dont recall which one at the moment). This PC had service pack 1a on it, she was not trying to install SP2.

Anyway, again no problem, I once again booted from the WinXP CD and formatted the drive, the PC went to restart, as part of the installation, as it was booting up I expected to see the PC boot into WinXP Pro to finish the install, instead, I was back at the blue screen like I was starting the install from the beginning again. Now the PC will not boot into windows to finish the install. I've gone through this process several times (including reformatting the HDD) and I also tried using the utilities disc that came with the (Seagate) HDD to set up the HDD, all with the same result.

I'de like to dole out a little G17 justice on that PC but I guess I'll have to save that for another day... :)
Any and all suggestions as to remedies on how to get WinXP Pro installed again are appreciated.

TIA

NetNinja
01-28-2005, 23:23
Update the bios on the laptop if you can.

saber41
01-29-2005, 00:04
Originally posted by NetNinja
Update the bios on the laptop if you can.

Thanks NetNinja, I'll check into that (btw...its not a laptop :) )

fastvfr
01-29-2005, 05:01
Er..you DID remove the CD until the installer asked for it?

saber41
01-29-2005, 05:23
Originally posted by fastvfr
Er..you DID remove the CD until the installer asked for it?

Yep...tried it both ways as a matter of fact.
If I left the cd in the drive after the reboot, the install started from the beginning again, if I removed the cd, I get an error message saying that the boot media cannot be found (or something to that effect).

Any ideas ??

SamBuca
01-29-2005, 05:37
Is it behind some type of firewall? I forget the actual number, but isn't it like 9 mins to infection on a new system?

saber41
01-29-2005, 05:52
Right now its just a stand alone PC,
not connected to the internet or a LAN.

TheGrip
01-29-2005, 06:24
Had the same problem when SP2 was released.
Completely locked-out.
For some reason, running Ad-Aware before the upgrade solves the lock-out problem.
Maybe some missed spyware removal hampers SP2's security.
Save much time and energy by downloading XP setup and booting off the floppys. You'll need 6 fresh floppys.

WinXPpro Boot Floppys (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F)

David_G17
01-29-2005, 09:23
i had the same problem and had to fdisk (delete partition before formatting) to fix it.

if you can, get into recovery console and "chkdsk -r"

Sgt. Schultz
01-29-2005, 09:47
I recently had the same problem on a friends computer. The problem could be cause by a card/device that XP does not recognize. My problem was an ATI Radeon X800 Pro card that was to "new" for XP. When I originally replaced the card on the computer with the OS already installed XP requested the drivers and all was fine, however when I did a clean install the OS hung up trying to determine what drivers to use. I used the old card until XP was installed then put in the new card and everything work okay.

I suggest that try installing XP with a generic/older video card and as few cards/devices as possible, then install them (one at a time) after XP completes the installation process.

Most factory computers are configured to user's specifications after they are ordered and the cards/devices are added to systems that already have a XP image installed. Windows XP was released in October 2001, long before some of the devices installed on today’s computers.

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 10:45
I've had that problem when Windows update offers a new driver.Normally the video driver but can be audio or another.Had to reinstall Windows and NOT take the driver from Windows update.I've had that happen with Windows 2000 and XP.

saber41
01-29-2005, 22:15
Originally posted by David_G17
i had the same problem and had to fdisk (delete partition before formatting) to fix it.

if you can, get into recovery console and "chkdsk -r"

OK...I tried to run fdisk, I cant recall the exact message but it said something like the drive/partition/sector could not be read (not sure of the exact message). It looks like there are no partitions set up or defined. I still have to try the chkdsk -r command from the recovery console.

So, I did a low level format to try and zero out the drive.
Then I tried reinstalling WinXP again, it went through the format section then gave me a message that the drive was unable to be formatted...WTF is up with that?!?

I'm going to poke around in the utilities disk that came with the drive to see if there is some type of default restore setting ( I doubt there will be :( )

Any more suggestions/ideas ??

Tom34
01-30-2005, 02:18
I assume you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot from the XP CD to install. Then changed the boot sequence back to boot from the Hard Drive. Just a shot !!

Soujurn
01-30-2005, 05:32
Can you try to do an install on a different hard drive?

Also, I thought you shouldn't try to do low level formats on IDE drives? Is this an IDE drive? Did you get a low level utility from the drives manufacturer?

Sgt. Schultz
01-30-2005, 15:00
If you did a real "Low level format" odds are you destroyed all of the factory preset tracks and sectors information for the disk. If you did you should go to the disk manufactures web site and look their disk utility software such as Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools or Seagate's SeaTools, to repair any damage.

saber41
01-31-2005, 16:46
Well... after a lot of testing/troubleshooting it was determined that the HDD had failed.

It is being RMA'd to Seagate as we speak, at least my friend wont have to pay for a replacement HDD. :)

Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions...

Much Appreciated.

SamBuca
01-31-2005, 18:34
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
If you did a real "Low level format" odds are you destroyed all of the factory preset tracks and sectors information for the disk. If you did you should go to the disk manufactures web site and look their disk utility software such as Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Tools or Seagate's SeaTools, to repair any damage.
This makes no sense at all. How else would he have done a low level format without the proper util?

Sgt. Schultz
02-01-2005, 07:17
Originally posted by SamBuca
This makes no sense at all. How else would he have done a low level format without the proper util?

Wow you really should pull your head out of the sand ... there are dozens of utilities that are not designed for his specific hard drive he could have used to do a low level format. If he did use anything other then a utility provided by the drive manufacture odds are that it would not repair the damage correctly, especially on today's "newer" drives.

saber41
02-01-2005, 09:02
Just to help clarify, I used the Seagate Utility that came with the drive to zero it out.

Washington,D.C.
02-01-2005, 09:16
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_llfmt_what.html