Personal rescue rope [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Personal rescue rope

nsb22
01-28-2005, 23:23
I am planning on picking up me a bag and some rope for my bunker gear to be used as self rescue rope. I have seen what Thefirestore.com has, but I am wondering what else is there and what are you guys using?

Thanks,
Ryan

ClydeG19
01-30-2005, 19:25
I don't personally have a PERS, but several of the guys at my dept run the same rope from thefirestore.com. I have never taken any FF Survival classes (yet), so I don't know what characteristics would be desirable in a personal escape rope.

N2DFire
01-31-2005, 12:15
Stick with the purpose made bail out ropes. These are made of kevlar (or nomex/kevlar blend) to stand up to the extremes that it will be used in (i.e. high heat & lot's of sharp edges). The combined fibers in the nomex/kevlar rope give much better heat tolerance & cut resistance than standard synthetic and "natural fiber" ropes. Make no mistake these ropes will still cut or burn through however they will last longer than other ropes (hopefully long enough for you to get out)

I don't know what characteristics would be desirable in a personal escape rope
heat & cut resistance
light weight
small diameter

IMO - in that order. I know that firefighters don't care to carry heavy bulky stuff but what's the point of carrying small, light weight stuff if it's not going to do the job when it counts?

FWIW I'm no self rescue / bail out expert but I am a rope junkie and have had to trust my life to ropes several times and there is no way I'd use regular "life rope" in a fire bail out environment unless I had no other choice. When the SHTF you use what ya got - but in this case you have time to pre-plan and be better equipped.