Cannot block sender? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cannot block sender?

Generalcarry
01-29-2005, 07:39
I cannot “block sender” on spam mail. I’m getting ~200 spams a day. I go to messages, block sender and check yes. If I then go directly to tools, message rules and “senders blocked” they are listed. Once I click out of Outlook Express and return, all the “senders blocked” are gone. It worked for a few weeks and I must have had 250 blocked addressess there. One day they were all gone. I have also diverted all spam to a seperate folder so I can delete it all at once, but a few messages still get through. I installed the latest OE again yesterday and still no luck. Any ideas are appreciated. Two other variables:
1. I have Comcast Cable and they will only support OE.
2. I have NOT downloaded XP Service Pack P2
Comcast support hasn't a clue to this problem. I've called 3 seperate people.

Sgt. Schultz
01-29-2005, 08:46
The first thing you need to do is get rid of Outhouse Express and get a "true" e-mail program. There are several e-mail programs that will do a better job. Some are free (ad support) and some you have to buy ;-). I use Eudora in the paid mode. This program can be setup for multiple accounts, when I launch the program it checks 11 different e-mail accounts (business, personal and web based). I use filters to deliver the mail to separate "in-boxes" and the spam to the trash.

Jtemple
01-29-2005, 08:56
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

G. Gunman
01-29-2005, 09:19
;Q Go to: Tools, Message Rules, Mail, New. Review each of the settings. Under the, 'Blocked Senders' list, check the, 'Modify' box to determine any exclusion rules.

Finally use a program like: Adaware, or Spybot, (both free) or one of the really good prophylactic programs such as Spysweeper or PestPatrol to search your hard drive for Trojans.

Sounds to me like you've got a Trojan running on your machine.

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=183318&SID=35715&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=693159&API1=65&API2=GOOGLE&API3=pestpatrol_exa&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=183318

http://www.webroot.com/land/spysweeper-aff-trial-oct04.php?rc=266&ac=635

Good luck!

fastvfr
01-30-2005, 09:16
Originally posted by Generalcarry
I cannot “block sender” on spam mail. I’m getting ~200 spams a day. I go to messages, block sender and check yes. If I then go directly to tools, message rules and “senders blocked” they are listed. Once I click out of Outlook Express and return, all the “senders blocked” are gone. It worked for a few weeks and I must have had 250 blocked addressess there. One day they were all gone. I have also diverted all spam to a seperate folder so I can delete it all at once, but a few messages still get through. I installed the latest OE again yesterday and still no luck. Any ideas are appreciated. Two other variables:
1. I have Comcast Cable and they will only support OE.
2. I have NOT downloaded XP Service Pack P2
Comcast support hasn't a clue to this problem. I've called 3 seperate people.

General, do you mean to say that a huge ISP like ComCast cannot train their phonemonkeys to read from a Thunderbird or Eudora script?! How repulsive is THAT!!

Your OE is Who-hashed. A Repair of IE will probably fix it - well, until it decides to break itself again. So why bother with it?

I suggest you simply read one of the hundreds of online tutorials on Mozilla Suite/Firefox/T-Bird, since by becoming more knowledgeable than those fools at ComCast, you will become immune to this sort of crap. Then stop using any M$ product to access the Web!

BTW, for registering at a forum or ordering stuff online

This may sound strange coming from a tech, but I recommend that you do NOT install SP1 OR SP2...I recommend using only SP1a, without the M$ Virtual POS installed. You should then DL the Criticals manually, since that's the only way you'll get control over their installation.

In about 75% of the cases I have seen, SP2 either just screwed up a few things, or it screwed up a WHOLE LOT of things. Sometimes it just flat kills the OS, and you are left hoping that it didn't break the Restore Point - because if it did, you'll either get to rebuild it one file at a time, or poke-and-hope with the XP CD and sfc /scannow...but it is usually best to reinstall at that point.

Do you have a router with a firewall installed between the modem and the PC('s)? If not, that should be your next investment.

Good luck.

Generalcarry
01-31-2005, 12:23
Well, I took the advice of many and changed to Ffox and Tbird. So far most of my problems seem to have faded away. I’m still playing around and trying to get acclimated with the programs and so far it looks promising. The last 2 times I called Comcast Cable (they only service OE and IE.) with problems that I as well as they couldn’t solve, I’d mentioned to them I just installed Firefox . One tech said he uses it at home, and the other said “oh, then just go to ----- and do -----.

Thanks!