My computer CLOCK has gone nutz... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My computer CLOCK has gone nutz...

Zoolander
01-29-2005, 18:21
For the last week it's always off. I keep resetting it but it still loses the correct time. Is my puter infected with something that might be causing this? I'm using MS Windows XP Home Edition. Is it my settings?

NetNinja
01-29-2005, 18:42
Sure looks lke it. read the sticky on the top of this forum.
There are all sorts of free tools to download to get rid of that pesky Trojan.

Zoolander
01-29-2005, 19:52
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.misc/browse_thread/thread/16464853478f503c?tvc=2&q=clock+trojan

Someone in that thread blames "Norton AntiVirus."

My virus definitions are current and I run scans daily.

Besides NAV, I use SpywareBlaster, Spybot and Ad-Aware... all updated.

I have my ISP firewall and my windows XP firewall turned on.

http://img147.exs.cx/img147/70/scan3uw.png

fastvfr
01-29-2005, 20:23
Mostly it is the fact that you took Internet Exploiter out onto the Internet with default settings. Sorry, guy, but that is the PC equivalent of sleeping around with no protection...IN HAITI.

And THEN you use Norton...gaaah. Try going to Trend's Housecall page and running an online scan once. Your AV may have missed quite a few nasties. Eliminate that possibility first.

Are those tiles all actually for Web pages or are they mostly popup windows?

Just run Mozilla Suite or Firefox exclusively from now on and that silliness will cease - once you get it cleaned up, that is. Check Google for an app called HiJack This!, then put it directly into your C: directory...NOT in a folder under C:.

Once that's done, run it, and it'll give you a log file of all the BHO's and other cretinous crap that IE decided you needed to have. Post it here and I will help you keep what you need and toss what is making your rig ill.

BTW, how old is your PC? If it's more than a couple years old, you may need a fresh CMOS battery...it is the big flat battery on the motherboard that keeps the BIOS alive when the machine isn't on. That's where the system clock is stored.

Bring yourself to the PC's potential first, by firmly touching the power supply inside the case. Unplug the power supply's cord, then just pop the battery out gently with a small screwdriver or a knifetip. You will see a place on the bracket where it has a retention clip...just push that clip away from the battery and it will hop right out for you when it is free of the edge of the battery.

Take it to any camera counter or PC shop and get a suitable replacement for it. Costs less than $5.00 most places.

DON'T try to lever it out under any circumstances, as that will probably break the retention bracket - and THAT will cost you the price of a new MOBO.

So go scan it up at Trend, and find out what you need to do next.

Good luck.

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 20:44
I remember when XP first came out there was a patch either for cetain motherboards or just for XP in general that fixed a lost time in the system clock.This wasn't a problem with all systems and XP installs but they came out with a general patch for all systems anyway.

Zoolander
01-29-2005, 20:59
First part: A

Zoolander
01-29-2005, 21:03
Second part : B

01-29-2005, 21:07
Is it a Dell? There was a batch of Dell Dimensions that had an issue with not being able to keep time. Might want to check with them.

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 21:16
Sounds like a memory battery.

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 21:20
Here is a page about the XP problem http://216.221.118.20/~method/notes/XP-NTP-fix.html

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 21:21
Another http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,76744,00.asp

Zoolander
01-29-2005, 21:22
Mostly it is the fact that you took Internet Exploiter out onto the Internet with default settings. Sorry, guy, but that is the PC equivalent of sleeping around with no protection...IN HAITI.

What should my defaults be then?

And THEN you use Norton...gaaah. Try going to Trend's Housecall page and running an online scan once. Your AV may have missed quite a few nasties. Eliminate that possibility first.

I will sometime in the next 20 hours.

Are those tiles all actually for Web pages or are they mostly popup windows?

No pop-up's. They are all web pages. I use the Google bar pop up blocker. I surf the net with 15 to 20 websites open.

Just run Mozilla Suite or Firefox exclusively from now on and that silliness will cease - once you get it cleaned up, that is.

I have Firefox and I don't use it because of slow speeds.

Check Google for an app called HiJack This!, then put it directly into your C: directory...NOT in a folder under C:

I have HiJack This!. See above post for results.

Once that's done, run it, and it'll give you a log file of all the BHO's and other cretinous crap that IE decided you needed to have. Post it here and I will help you keep what you need and toss what is making your rig ill.

Thanks, take a look.

BTW, how old is your PC? If it's more than a couple years old, you may need a fresh CMOS battery...it is the big flat battery on the motherboard that keeps the BIOS alive when the machine isn't on. That's where the system clock is stored.

Comp is two years old, I have seen the CMOS battery.

How long do they last?

Bring yourself to the PC's potential first, by firmly touching the power supply inside the case. Unplug the power supply's cord, then just pop the battery out gently with a small screwdriver or a knifetip. You will see a place on the bracket where it has a retention clip...just push that clip away from the battery and it will hop right out for you when it is free of the edge of the battery.

Take it to any camera counter or PC shop and get a suitable replacement for it. Costs less than $5.00 most places.

DON'T try to lever it out under any circumstances, as that will probably break the retention bracket - and THAT will cost you the price of a new MOBO.

K, thanks.

So go scan it up at Trend, and find out what you need to do next.

I will in the next 20 hours or so.

I remember when XP first came out there was a patch either for cetain motherboards or just for XP in general that fixed a lost time in the system clock.This wasn't a problem with all systems and XP installs but they came out with a general patch for all systems anyway.

I will see if I can find the patch, thanks.

Is it a Dell? There was a batch of Dell Dimensions that had an issue with not being able to keep time. Might want to check with them.

Not a Dell. Ibuypower built this one.

Zoolander
01-29-2005, 21:31
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.

Sounds like a memory battery.

Thanks. I hope that is it.

What else does the CMOS battery run???

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 21:34
Dell published the fix but it's for all XP systems not just Dells. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8200&category=0&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2859&devlib=7 and http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8200&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2859&devlib=7&category=0&releaseid=R40111

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 21:36
If the problem just showed up I'd try the battery first.How old is it?

Washington,D.C.
01-29-2005, 21:38
Oh 2 years old I saw it now.

Zoolander
01-30-2005, 01:41
The battery on the motherboard, what is it's function?

Incase of power failure?

Washington,D.C.
01-30-2005, 04:30
It holds the CMOS memory,this includes the system clock.It doesn't have much to do with system power.

SamBuca
01-30-2005, 15:13
The clock would NOT be affected by a dead CMOS battery unless you shut the system off. If you leave the system on all the time and experience clock drift, then it's another cause.

Zoolander
02-03-2005, 02:27
fastvfr??