USN torpedos [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USN torpedos

noway
01-29-2005, 18:24
Any squids out their that can tell me just how our older and newer torpedos , work?

1> whats actually happening when you set the torpedo depth?

2> could a torpedo be launch when the outer doors are closed or even the inner door is open ?

3> are their any safety mechanisms for the firing and detonation ?

4> just how does a torpedo fire ? ( compress air, turbines driven, etc....)

Just curious into how these things actually works.

Squid.HM2
01-30-2005, 13:12
Squid? well my typing sucks so here http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-48.htm

noway
01-31-2005, 08:08
good information but how about the other questions ( 2 & 3 )? Have a torpedo ever prematurely exploded in the bay or can they be fired but the door isn't open?

I was really surprise that they are initally wire guided.

Hunterjbb
01-31-2005, 18:01
If i remember correctly answers are # 2 NO.. not that i've ever heard of. No you can't fire the torpedo without the outer door being open. And you can't flood the tube with the inner door open.. unless a whole bunch of things are fubared.

and if you start taking water in through the torpedo tube you and your shipmates are in big doo doo..

#3 Yes there are safety mechanisms.

Hope that helps..

Deep Blue
01-31-2005, 20:15
1) A MK-48's depth is set when you enter weapons presets in the fire control system (ask me how I know). Its all software dependent, there isn't anything physically set on the torpedo.
2) No, mechanical and electrical interlocks are a beautiful thing.
3) Yes, quite a few. The warhead doesn't even arm until the weapon has gone a set distance from ownship (called "run to enable").
4)A Los Angeles class uses an air-ram torpedo ejection system, a long cylinder with a piston that uses high pressure air to push water into the torpedo tube and eject the weapon. The Ohio, Seawolf, and Virginia class all use a turbine ejection pump, think of it as two turbines on a common shaft. High pressure air spins one side of the pump up, and the other side pumps sea water into the torpedo tube.

noway
02-01-2005, 14:17
Thanks for the information. You couldn't pay me to get on a submarine and go submerge ;f

i been on a sub ( not sure of the name ) but it was tender out of Yokuska JA ( sp?) and found it very tight for space or working and the living quarters where unbelievable. I'm glad I was on land an did not serve at sea.

Squid.HM2
02-01-2005, 17:55
Deep Blue...ST or TM ?

Hunterjbb
02-01-2005, 18:34
FT ? ST ? TM ... spent a wonderful 2 years as an FT on the SSN 698, does banging a warshot of the side of the tender count for anything when your running the Crane on the tender ??.. ;P

Trying to fix the dang mk66 torpedo console in the dark.. Hey does anyone know if the Bremerton got upgraded to the 117 fire control, heck for that matter what's the latest system they are using ?.

and NOWAY.. normally your pretty busy so worrying about the "size" of the boat you don't get to think about it.. Except when they make you use a Darkened out EAB to go fore to aft for qualifications.. :) THEN THE THING IS FRIGGIN HUGE !..

LOL ah the memories...

Jeff.

PS: EAB - Emergency Air Breathing device.. like a scott pack the firemen wear without a tank, just a hose that plugs into recepticles placed strategically throughout the boat.

Deep Blue
02-01-2005, 20:53
FT, USS Pennsylvania (SSBN-735, 1998-2002).

heck for that matter what's the latest system they are using ?
Last I heard its BYG-1 (spoken "Big-1"). 6 months before I left the Penn upgraded to Mk2 Block 1C, it would do all kinds of cool things, if you could keep it from crashing every 30 minutes. Ain't technology grand!

henryj
02-03-2005, 09:02
Technology is nice.

Back in the day (WWII), Sea Lion II (SS-315) did shoot a Mk. 14 through a closed outer door. No explosion, just a fair amount of damage to the door. Source: My dad, BM1(ss) for 6 war patrols on the 315 boat.

IIRC, a hot run in the tube, and warhead detonation is the most likely cause of the loss of Scorpion in 1968.

It can be a dangerous way to make a living.

Henry (fmr. MM1(SS))

noway
02-03-2005, 15:36
So is it fair to say that modern subs are more safety cautious vrs the early diesel/battery subs?

I wonder how many accidents the former USSR had in their naval fleet ;0

Deep Blue
02-03-2005, 17:04
Originally posted by noway
So is it fair to say that modern subs are more safety cautious vrs the early diesel/battery subs?

Modern subs (at least ours) are alot safer than earlier subs. After the Thresher went down in 1961, the Navy instituted a program called "SubSafe", that improved safety. Every pipe, hatch, door, or valve thats inside the pressure hull and sees sea pressure is tested on installation, service, and repair to make sure it doesn't leak. The Navy takes quality assurance seriously when it comes to sea water systems.

Squid.HM2
02-03-2005, 18:50
I had lots of fun at sea, ever take a electric razor and put it up to the underwater microphone? ;Q

Deep Blue
02-03-2005, 20:55
Originally posted by Squid.HM2
I had lots of fun at sea, ever take a electric razor and put it up to the underwater microphone? ;Q

BWAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!
;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

henryj
02-04-2005, 09:39
We had a manual valve that, when spun just right, squealed at exactly the same freq. as a Soviet torpedo's active sonar. Tons o' fun leak checking the sonar and Conn.

Henry

MNGLOCK
02-04-2005, 18:26
Alot of good info. When I was there (60s) Mk 14 and 37, we worried about the hot runners. Whether in the tube or in the room. One of these will ruin your day. The anti circular run feature also minimized one from coming around and getting you. The 45s (nukes) always had the minimum run distance before it would arm. Great feature as not much room for mistakes with a nuke. And hello to all the fellow bubbleheads. 625 and 657.