Help Me Find A New Bike [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find A New Bike

ateamer
01-29-2005, 19:34
I currently have an '86 Gold Wing that I bought brand new in '89. Well, I am tired of fixing little stuff and being nickel and dimed by it. It's time for something new.

That said, I want something I can use for both riding to work every day and for longer trips. I pretty much have it narrowed down to the following:
-GL1500 - Pro: Costs less than an 1800, doesn't have the potential for frame cracks (there was a big recall for that) and has hydraulic valve lifters, unlike the 1800. There are plenty of low-mileage 1500s out there, and accessories and parts are still widely available.
- Con: Out of production. In years to come, parts availability will become an issue. Has carbs which need synchronizing.

-GL1800 - Pro: New bike, will be in production for at least a few more years, parts will be easily available for many years to come. Fuel injected, has all the bells and whistle. Nearly maintenance-free.
- Con: Potential for frame cracks, but that should have been addressed by Honda by now. I am not completely up to speed on the latest on this issue. Expensive.

BMW R1150RT: - Pro: BMW reliability, handling, ABS, heated grips and adjustable windshield. Minimal maintenance required.
- Con: Luggage has less room than a Wing.

Harley Road King or Electra Glide: - Pro: Image, comfort on the highway, resale value, unlimited customizing options.
- Con: Vibration at idle and low speeds, cost of parts, higher maintenance needs than the other bikes on the list, higher potential for failures.

I am pretty much down to either the BMW or one of the Wings. New or used, doesn't matter much if the used bike has less than 20 grand on it. The BMW is kind of getting the edge because I don't really take cross-country rides anymore, but it will do just fine if I do. The bags and trunk probably have enough room for 80-90% of my needs.

Comments? Help me make a decision. All I know is I want a new bike that isn't going to need any more work so I can get out and ride. If I can find a way to keep payments under $300 a month, that would be huge, so I can continue to fly as well. If it came down to one or the other, I would have to quit riding.

norton
01-29-2005, 20:11
Kawaski Concours
Big fairing, bags, which are easily removeable.
Nice cross between touring and a sport type bike.
Its been made for many years. If you look around you can probably find one with low miles for not many $.

beemerphile
01-29-2005, 20:31
The BMW is a better LD tourer than the Honda. I've owned both. The BMW side bags with deep lids hold much more than the GW bags. You can get a trunk for the BMW but I don't like trunks. Flat racks are better for carrying camping gear and such. The small gas tank and poor mileage on the wing will have you stopping at every gas pump when you are in an area with limited fuel services. Also, with the R1200RT coming out in March or so, there will be some excellent deals on the R1150RT. You can find good late-model used ones at www.ibmwr.org The Concours would be a good one to consider (especially on limited funds) and the ST1300 Honda or FJR1300 Yammie for deeper pockets.

Clydeglide
01-29-2005, 20:38
Originally posted by ateamer
Harley Road King or Electra Glide: - Pro: Image, comfort on the highway, resale value, unlimited customizing options.
- Con: Vibration at idle and low speeds, cost of parts, higher maintenance needs than the other bikes on the list, higher potential for failures.

Comments?

Oh yeah.......I've ridden FLH Harley's for over 15 years and I have no idea where you got your negative comments from. All of the HD's I've had were fine. I've run up some high miles on a couple of them. Maybe some small vibes at idle only and that's it.

I am not an HD diehard. In fact I no longer own one.

You have all good choices. Just decide which you like best.

:cool:

ateamer
01-29-2005, 20:50
Thanks for the tip on the Concours. I had completely forgotten about them. I looked at a few sites, and that is up at the top of the list now. $8300 for a brand new one. I will have to get to a dealer and take a test ride.

AirCav
01-30-2005, 00:16
Someone already mentioned the Honda ST1300. Don't overlook the used market for ST1100s. Great bike.

Texas T
01-30-2005, 00:30
Thanks for the tip on the Concours. I had completely forgotten about them. I looked at a few sites, and that is up at the top of the list now. $8300 for a brand new one. I will have to get to a dealer and take a test ride. It will be closer to $7500 for a new 2004 model if you can find one. Check the ads on Cycletrader.

20 year old technology; carbs to sync; not snazzy like the ST1300 or FJR, but it has a HUGE loyalty base. Hang out at www.concours.org for a while and then drink the kool-aid. :)

fnfalman
01-30-2005, 04:46
Go whole hog and get the BMW K1200LT, unless you really have a hankering for boxer twin.

H.I.M
01-30-2005, 06:15
Ride them all, evaluate your riding style, do you do mostly long distance? short? both? then buy what fits. I currently own an HD Ultra and an ST1100. The Ultra is on the road ALL the time, The ST sits because it's boring. If I were to look for just one bike it would be an Ultra or the new FJR....what a bike!

Good luck and ride safe
Dan

p.s. My experience with the Concours is that it's buzzy

Texas T
01-30-2005, 11:49
Originally posted by H.I.M
The ST sits because it's boring. I wouldn't want you to be bored so let me know when it's convenient for me to swing by and take the ST off your hands. ;)

H.I.M
01-30-2005, 13:09
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Texas T
I wouldn't want you to be bored so let me know when it's convenient for me to swing by and take the ST off your hands. ;)

lol...1994 with 3500 miles....yep that's right three thousand five hundred miles. The only problem with this bike is does everything right. Smooth...quiet...corners like it's on rails..but has no character, boring.

Texas T
01-30-2005, 13:35
Originally posted by H.I.M
lol...1994 with 3500 miles....yep that's right three thousand five hundred miles. The only problem with this bike is does everything right. Smooth...quiet...corners like it's on rails..but has no character, boring.
Where you at and how much you want for it? I'm really looking for a Concours but I could be swayed to the Dark Side for a low enough price.
;f

AirCav
01-30-2005, 13:49
problem with this bike is does everything right. Smooth...quiet...corners like it's on rails
Gotta love problems like that ;)

I was interested in the Concours, too. At that price, it's hard not to consider it. Ultimately, I passed due to it's "vibration" reputation, old technology, and the clunky looks of the hard bags. I chose the ST (over several bikes, not just the Connie) and have never regretted it.

As far as the Harley.....you either get it or you don't. I don't. My loss, I guess.

ateamer
01-30-2005, 14:23
All I need to do now is take a Concours on a test ride. The "old" technology doesn't bother me, since I have been riding a 1986 model for almost 16 years. I know there is a reputation for buzziness at higher speeds, but my Wing gets a little buzzy at about 70-75 MPH, so I doubt it'll be a problem. I really like the price, the removable luggage and the lack of chrome. I have always hated polishing chrome. I suspect I may have a new ride within a couple weeks.

norton
01-30-2005, 20:04
All I need to do now is take a Concours on a test ride. The "old" technology doesn't bother me, since I have been riding a 1986 model for almost 16 years. I know there is a reputation for buzziness at higher speeds, but my Wing gets a little buzzy at about 70-75 MPH, so I doubt it'll be a problem. I really like the price, the removable luggage and the lack of chrome. I have always hated polishing chrome. I suspect I may have a new ride within a couple weeks.

the ugly saddlebags pop right off when you don't need them. I have never seen a set of saddlebags on anything that didn't look like hell, but they are nice when travelling.
It can be a bit of a buzzer, but then its been my experience that most inline 4's have some buzz band. Softer grips sometimes help.
It has a nice big gas tank, and at least the one I owned had a long relatively flat saddle.
When you do ride one, make sure you wind it up. It makes alot of its power high in the rev band.
If you like it, you might want to check around for a good used one. If you live in a cold weather state like I do, there are still bargains to be had in the winter months.