DVD Burner Advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burner Advice

wrenrj1
01-30-2005, 11:38
I wanna purchase a DVD burner for my Dell 1.6G PC. I already have a DVD player and a CD RW. I want to go internal, and looking at my available space I'd probably have to replace the DVD player with the burner.

I don't know much about these, can anyone give me some practical advice on what to look for etc??

Thanks.

podwich
01-30-2005, 12:20
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=1

NEC ND-3520: 16X DVD-R/+R, 48X CD-R, etc. Use this to replace your CD-RW and you'll be able to burn both CDs and DVDs on the fly (read in one drive, write in the other-saves time).

chevrofreak
01-30-2005, 13:14
Originally posted by podwich
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=1

NEC ND-3520: 16X DVD-R/+R, 48X CD-R, etc. Use this to replace your CD-RW and you'll be able to burn both CDs and DVDs on the fly (read in one drive, write in the other-saves time).

This would be an excellent choice.

Washington,D.C.
01-30-2005, 14:07
Some of those newer,faster DVD burners require/recomend faster PC's.check the minimum requirements and it might be best to get one a speed or two slower sometimes.

pyblood
01-31-2005, 22:45
Another vote for the NEC burner. The only downside would be that it doesn't come with any software, but if you already have software, it'll be great.

Medievaltech
02-01-2005, 02:33
here is a good one (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-961&depa=1) plus it comes with power dvd and nero

Washington,D.C.
02-01-2005, 07:01
You must check the Plextor PX-716A /SW.It has the largest cache,8 MB.It's 16x and includes Nero software.

troyboy30
02-01-2005, 07:58
I'd go with dual layer if you can support it.

Washington,D.C.
02-01-2005, 08:11
There are two new formats of recordable DVD's coming out.They are both called HD something.Dual layer disks are right now 5 times the price of single layer disks.There is no one standard with DVD like CD.DVD-RAM,DVD-,DVD+ and the two new ones.The HD might become more popular than dual layer DVD+.Right now you vcan make five single layer DVD's for the price of one dual layer DVD.The software is as important as the hardware.Check the requirements of the burners and make sure your PC is fast enough to do what you want to do with it.

troyboy30
02-01-2005, 08:57
I get dvd+r's for $6. Besides who wants to change dvd's and have to use dvd shrink and lose all the extras. i like having everything on one disk.

chevrofreak
02-01-2005, 09:46
Originally posted by troyboy30
I get dvd+r's for $6. Besides who wants to change dvd's and have to use dvd shrink and lose all the extras. i like having everything on one disk.

I hope you meant DVD+R DL rather than just DVD+R. Many many DVD players have problems with DL discs unfortunately, but your computer should read them fine.

podwich
02-01-2005, 20:01
Originally posted by troyboy30

The best part about shrinking it is removing the stupid unskippable previews, legal warnings in English and French (and sometimes more), the distribution and production company crap, the sometimes long menu screens, and various studio disclaimers (also in English and French). Ugh. It takes like 5 minutes just to start the movie. After it's shrunk, you remove that crap (often without sacrificing movie quality if you can bear removing extras) and start your movie by just putting it in the player.

Besides, I don't like buying $6 DVD+R DL discs in addition to the $19 movie. I'll just stick the original in if I want to watch that stuff.

troyboy30
02-02-2005, 11:04
yes dvd+r dl.

and lol @ + $19 for the movie!

wrenrj1
02-02-2005, 18:37
Thanks for the input everyone. Another question, I should then replace my current DVD with the new DVD burner? or should I replace my CD/RW since it appears the DVD burners discussed also burn CD's.

Someone mentioned that I could burn DVD's faster if I kept the DVD player... Recommendations? Thanks.

Maxthemutt
02-02-2005, 20:31
I have a Plextor 712 and love it. Today I'd get a Plextor 716, a friend did and he loves it. I read alot of Newegg comments before I bought mine and waited for a rebate. Got mine for $79.

I would replace the CD burner.

Good luck with your decision, Max ;c

podwich
02-02-2005, 23:09
Yup, replace the CD burner. Assuming you get a DVD burner that will burn CDs at speeds equivalent to (or better than) your current CD burner, you lose nothing there and gain the ability to copy DVDs on the fly. The NEC I referred to earlier will do that for you.

Washington,D.C.
02-02-2005, 23:39
Some systems get confused when there is more than one "burner" CD and/pr DVD.The older systems are bad at this ,the newer systems are better at handling more than one burner.A CD burner and a separte DVD/CD can cufuse the software too.Best to have only one burner.Some older systems work best with only drive ROM and/or burner.This is not too much a problem with the newer PC's though.With some older systems the hardware will not allow more than one burner.The burning is best when there is only one drive total.Yours doesn't sound that old.

wrenrj1
02-03-2005, 18:45
Sounds like I'll be replacing the CD burner. Time to go shopping. Thanks all for your input!