Got an interview a paid fire dept...need some suggestions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got an interview a paid fire dept...need some suggestions

ClydeG19
01-30-2005, 18:09
I took the Anne Arundel Co Fire Dept written test yesterday. I did well on it according to the person who graded my test and have an interview on Feb 10th. They mail you your exact score later. I'm guessing about 300 people passed the test and were scheduled for an interview. AA Co is going from 24 on/48 off with kelly days to a 24 on/72 off rotation, so they've got to put on a whole other shift. A source my volly cheif has a source in the dept says they are hiring about 200 in the next few years. The first academy they plan to put ~60 through to do FF II/EMT I. I want to be one of those 60.

I haven't been through a FF interview before. Are there typical questions they ask? Any tips? Is a suit too dressy for this interview or is a shirt and tie too informal?

AA Co might be a bit of a change for me...they've got a reputation of not being very aggressive according to my cheif. That would have to be taken with a grain of salt however, because my dept would probably fall under the more aggressive category. A few other depts in our mutual aid response area have been known to wait for interior ops until we get there.;f Have any of you heard anything regarding the AA Co FD?

obxprnstar
01-31-2005, 11:16
I have talked with a guy in the past who worked up there, and had looked at moving down here to the OBX to work. But going from 57 to 31 was not viable for him. I am originally from that area and heared they were hiring ALOT of folks. I guess all of those lawsuits finally paid off.

N2DFire
01-31-2005, 11:41
One word (er URL) for you.
www.eatstress.com

Capt. Bob Smith has been prepping candidates for initial & promotional interviews for years.

Even if you don't buy his materials or contact him directly for help - you owe it to yourself to at least read the free information he post on his web site.

Having been through a few review boards myself (prior to seeing this info.) I can look back & see where I could have done better.

Once I get things settled down in my life and can afford to go back on the job hunt again - you can bet I'm going to use the Tips Bob provides.

Standard Endorsement Disclaimer:
I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with Capt. Smith, his program, nor his web site. Furthermore I do not stand to profit in any way, shape, or form if you decide to use any of the "for a fee" portions of his program.
No animals were harmed during the posting of this message.
No portion of this post may be rebroadcast (in whole or in part) without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.
Use only as directed.
Do not use while operating heavy machinery.
Always use all prescribed medications unless otherwise directed by a physician.
;e

Oh - and Good Luck on the interview !!! Got my fingers crossed for ya.

FlaFF
02-01-2005, 08:38
Definitely go with the suit.

FlaFF

Squadman
02-05-2005, 00:56
Go with the suit and tie. Being in the military previously, as you come in greet the person with a sir/maam and the name if you know it. Wait till you are told to sit. When asked what is the worsed thing about yourself, give them a positive, for example; the most negative thing about me is that I am impatient sometimes because I want to do a good job. Make the negative a positive. Never put yourself down. Questions can vary, from work, experience, getting along with people, what can you give the organization, and situational, like what would you do if you see a co-worker take a bagel from a store. Sit straight and be confident. Good luck. squadman

FireGuy
02-05-2005, 13:48
Good luck on the interview.
As someone who's sat on the other side of the table, remember -
Short positive answers are good. Long confusing answers are bad.
They see a lot of people - be one that they remember - your positive attitude, good people skills, and sharp appearance.
Look Sharp. That first impression is important here.
More interviews are blown in the first 2 minutes than than the last 8.
Twenty years from now you will look back on this a laugh. So relax now and concentrate on being one of the ones chosen.

FG

PS - Don't mention Glock Talk...;f

obxemt
02-05-2005, 17:04
I reccommend wearing some sort of costume, perhaps Peter Pan or a bear. Bring a rubber chicken along with you, and when you enter the room, begin singing the theme music from THE MUPPET SHOW.

Let us know how that works out for ya.

ClydeG19
02-06-2005, 02:02
Ma-nam-a-na!:joker:

oldstyle
02-08-2005, 20:16
Better to overdress than underdress. Subscribe to a trade related magazine that runs stories on current equipment, tactics, safety, etc... I lost points in my interview for not keeping informed. Also, if they offer refreshments, take a little to show you can fit in socially. Remember too you are a "firefighter", not "fireman".