Ice Racing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ice Racing

Caboose
01-31-2005, 09:59
Anyone into ice racing? Here's a pic of me on a local lake. I've been riding for close to 30 years, and this is some of the most fun you can have on two wheels.

Caboose
01-31-2005, 10:01
lets try that again.....

norton
01-31-2005, 20:41
Never raced myself, but in Ft. Wayne In. at the coliseum, every year the AMA raced indoors on the ice. It was fun to watch and a great diversion for us biker lovers in the winter. I remember seeing Bart Markel race there. They ran 4 stroke bikes, about 250cc as I recall.
Its been probably 15 years since the last time they raced there.

Texas T
01-31-2005, 21:12
This is intended to be a serious question but will probably not come across that way...

What happens when you fall and a fellow rider runs over you? How long are the spikes?

;P

fnfalman
02-01-2005, 10:38
I've often wondered whether or not the spiked tires would crack the ice and you fall in?;P

Caboose
02-01-2005, 10:51
If you fall, you usually slide off the racing line quickly. When racing the bike is fitted with wheel guards but its still gonna hurt if you get run over. I wear one piece leathers for protection.There are many different types of screws...even spikes, but these are the most popular. The head is 3\8th tall and sharp. The threads are 1-1/2 long so a tire liner is necessary. Here are some pics:

Traction on the ice is surprisingly better than on the dirt. The key is to nail the gas just as you tip the bike into the corner. This goes against any street riding technique that I know of and takes a little getting used to. We've got a 6 hour endurance race coming up on Balsam Lake. The track is about ten miles long, with over 100 turns. Loads of fun with a group of 3-4 guys.

Caboose
02-01-2005, 10:54
Originally posted by fnfalman
I've often wondered whether or not the spiked tires would crack the ice and you fall in?;P

Joked about that myself. After going round and round for a couple hours, a grove forms in the ice making it thinner. We're on 18" of ice so there is no worries about going through.