Notification arrow here today gone tomorrow. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Notification arrow here today gone tomorrow.

Gadgetman
01-31-2005, 18:57
I just updated windows ME to XP home edition a couple days ago. I'm starting to get used to it but there are a few things i don't understand.

1) There is an area down in the lower right hand side of the Taskbar called the notification area, just to the left of it there is supposed to be a little arrow like button that you can click which will then show you all the hidden inactive icons. The problem is sometimes the arrow is there and sometimes it's not. I'm sure the arrow is supposed to be there all the time.

2) When I start up the computer it takes about 3 minutes to load everything, thats along time, much longer than Windows ME took.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix these two minor problems?

Thanks,

Freedom1955

DeadMansLife
01-31-2005, 19:06
Right-click on the task bar slect properties. Deselect Hide Inactive Icons at the botom.

As far as start-up time, that's another story. Buy this book, Click here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764569295/qid=1107219101/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/103-0054295-0410257).

Nyper
01-31-2005, 19:17
Why waste your money on a book when you can simply find every bit of that information on the internet? Goooooogle :)

DeadMansLife
01-31-2005, 22:14
Books are nice to have when your PC goes **** up and you have no way to access the net to get info. :)

fastvfr
02-01-2005, 04:27
An 'upgrade' install of XP onto a FAT32 partition never seems to work half as well as a reformat install using NTFS does.

There are many reasons for this, but mainly you need to give XP a better environment and the proper file system to work with.

Otherwise it takes forever to boot, runs slowly, and can cause all sorts of random errors to occur.

Besides, ME is the Daikatana of OSes. Even M$ admits that.I am glad you got rid of it.

Now, make some backup disks, archive all your vital data, then reinsert that XP disk and reboot - IF you still have the WinME disk to get the installation started, that is...

GL!

Gadgetman
02-01-2005, 08:48
Originally posted by fastvfr
An 'upgrade' install of XP onto a FAT32 partition never seems to work half as well as a reformat install using NTFS does.

There are many reasons for this, but mainly you need to give XP a better environment and the proper file system to work with.

Otherwise it takes forever to boot, runs slowly, and can cause all sorts of random errors to occur.

Besides, ME is the Daikatana of OSes. Even M$ admits that.I am glad you got rid of it.

Now, make some backup disks, archive all your vital data, then reinsert that XP disk and reboot - IF you still have the WinME disk to get the installation started, that is...

GL!

I'm tempted to do this but it's not as easy as it sounds.
How would I save my cable modem settings and my email account connection settings?

nickg
02-01-2005, 14:21
Originally posted by fastvfr

i just upgraded from ME to XP myself this past weekend.

of course i did have some problems (not ACPI compliant crap). so i visited some different forums and got opinions and info, like hit the F7 NOT the F6 key, and do NOT press the enter key when it asks if you want to boot from disk.

after that i FINALLY got XP to load. i did have to reload my printer driver for XP, and re-download a few programs, but nothing major. everything seems to be working fine....thank goodness!!

but last night i did notice when running Diskeeper defrag that my file table was STILL set at FAT32.

so after a little searching on some forums again i did figure out how to find my Volume Level and Serial Number so i could convert everything to NTFS. once again, everything seems to be running fine.

today though i did get a copy of Norton Ghost 9.0 to image my system. if anything WOULD go wrong it would be a real pain in the butt because i would have to restore using my original disks (re-loading ME) and THEN have to re-install XP.

i figured a good imaging program would save a LOT of time swearing, throwing things, and be PO'd if i had to restall the system the way it is now.

i still have a few things to figure out on XP but i'm sure it's much more stable and better than any Windows prior.

Sgt. Schultz
02-01-2005, 22:21
Originally posted by nickg
i would have to restore using my original disks (re-loading ME) and THEN have to re-install XP.

If you have both the XP upgrade disk and a full ME disk you can do a clean install without installing one over the other. Start the setup process by booting to the XP disk. When the previous version of Windows is not on the hard disk drive, it will ask you to insert a CD from qualifying version of Windows to verify before continuing the installation.

I don’t believe that this will work if all you have is the system cd that some computer manufactures provide instead of a Windows CD.

Sgt. Schultz
02-01-2005, 22:42
Originally posted by Freedom1955
I'm tempted to do this but it's not as easy as it sounds.
How would I save my cable modem settings and my email account connection settings?
You shouldn’t have to do anything with your cable; XP will find you it for you.

For your e-mail account settings you have a couple of options: The easiest is to go to your cable provider’s website; they will have all the information you need … roadrunner has a tutorial showing you how to setup your e-mail account. If you are using Outhouse Express you can find the info by going to Tools – Accounts – Mail – Properties

Gadgetman
02-01-2005, 23:27
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz
You shouldn’t have to do anything with your cable; XP will find you it for you.

If you are using Outhouse Express you can find the info by going to Tools – Accounts – Mail – Properties

I should have known all of this! Thanks Sgt. Schultz ;)

nickg
02-02-2005, 12:56
Originally posted by Sgt. Schultz

I don’t believe that this will work if all you have is the system cd that some computer manufactures provide instead of a Windows CD.

unfortunately that is exactly what i have - the "systems" disk for the HP Pavillion and NOT just a Windows ME disk.

i might possibly be able to do an install with Disk 3 without having to do a "full system" from scratch install. but i'd rather not.

that's why i'd just rather "image" my drive as is now and be done with it for one of those "just in case" scenarios.

Gadgetman
02-02-2005, 21:46
Let me see if I've got this correct. I have a HP computer that came with Windows ME. I bought XP update ,if I want to do a clean and install of XP I can't because ME came with my computer and is not a separate XP cd?

Sgt. Schultz
02-02-2005, 22:23
What I was referring to is the way most computer manufactures package the OS onto a system restore CD. While this CD contains the OS it may not be recognized by the XP upgrade as a qualifying product. When you boot to system restore CD you get a menu from the computer manufacture with several options, you can restore it to the original configuration, reinstall software, etc… If you took that CD to a different computer more then likely it wouldn’t work. The XP upgrade CD will ask you to insert a qualifying Micro$oft product CD and while the system restore CD does contain the ME OS it may not be able to locate what it needs.

nickg
02-03-2005, 13:45
i ran Ghost 9.0 last night. took about 2-1/2 hours to image and 5 CD-RWs. hopefully i'll never has to use it.

one nice thing though about Ghost is you can backup incrementally since your last backup WITHOUT having to do a full imaging. that will definitely same a lot of time.

Sgt. Schultz
02-03-2005, 14:43
Originally posted by nickg
i ran Ghost 9.0 last night. took about 2-1/2 hours to image and 5 CD-RWs. hopefully i'll never has to use it.

Be sure to run an integrity Check on the image ... better safe then sorry!