$475 too much browning A- Bolt 7mm, too much gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $475 too much browning A- Bolt 7mm, too much gun?

hippiew/aglock
01-31-2005, 20:01
used
Browning a bolt 7mm mag
blued finish
laquered wood

Is it to much gun for whitetail?

StockGlock23
01-31-2005, 20:30
Originally posted by hippiew/aglock
Is it to much gun for whitetail?

I think that that is a decent price.

I also think it is too much gun for whitetail. That is my opinion but there are thousands upon thousands of hunters who go afield every year with one. If you plan to ever elk hunt than it would be a good multi-use gun.

liv2hunt
01-31-2005, 22:53
Depending on its condition it sounds like a good price. I personally think the 7 mag is a great gun for deer. Depending on where you hunt and the right bullet weight you will have a good long range rifle. It also will be a great gun for mullies and elk.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-01-2005, 10:20
Often, there is no such thing as "too much gun".

The real issue is, are YOU comfortable shooting your gun? If that is the gun you want to target shoot, sight in, and hunt with, then get it.

Use a .50 BMG on deer if you want. Ever shoot a deer up close with a 12 gauge slug? It will punch a big round hole right through both sides of a set of ribcage. Bigger hole than the .50 would make. You can control excessive expansion and meat loss with the right bullet selection.

RonC
02-01-2005, 10:37
I hope it is scoped at that price.

A new one at Walmart's special order catalog is not much more (sans sights and scope)

02-01-2005, 10:58
Its not too much gun for deer, but the real question is - how much range time are you going to be spending with a 7mm mag gun pounding on your shoulder?

hippiew/aglock
02-01-2005, 12:41
Have only hunted deer with 12 ga slugs in the past. Thanks for the input everyone.

357glocker
02-01-2005, 13:21
Originally posted by hippiew/aglock
Have only hunted deer with 12 ga slugs in the past. Thanks for the input everyone.

If you can handle the recoil of slugs, a 7mag will feel like shooting a bolt action .223;) Don't be intimidated by the claims of excessive recoil and blast from a 7mag, generally speaking it is no different than a .30-06 in terms of recoil, blast, meat damage (which is largely dependant on bullet used)

A_Swede_17_1911
02-02-2005, 04:33
I just sold a browning a bolt like your looking at a great rifle only reason i sold it cause i was deyploying and well i wanted some extra money for goodies to take with me. I have mixed emotions on it far as being to much for whitetail. I used to live in Oregon, (im currently stationed in North Carolina), well i used it for blacktails, elk, and mule deer, and bear. Its a great mutipurpose hunting rifle. If its just going to be used for whitetails, depends, long range its great, up close or in brushy country i would opt for something else. I liked mine and will probably get another one but probably in a .338 win mag, and one in a .280 remington, just cause I want those two rifles. If your going to have one rifle to hunt with the 7mm is a great rifle.

I just didnt like taking it to the range and shooting it off the bench, and the ammo cost was kinda prohibitive of just shooting it for fun Since it was running around a dollar a round.

I really like the browing a bolt and will buy two of em when i get back like a said a .338 and a .280 rem.

is the rifle scoped for that price?, if its not i would try to get it for less, unless its in perfect shape.