license renewal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : license renewal?

Clay1
01-31-2005, 22:17
I believe that my license is up for renewal this year. Does the FCC send out renewal cards or am I suppose to contact them? Haven't been hamming much these days but don't want my license to expire either.

uhlawpup
01-31-2005, 22:34
Go to www.fcc.gov and renew on line. It's fast and simple. If you haven't registered in the ULS system, you'll have to do that first. Once you do, it's a piece of cake.

Clay1
02-01-2005, 07:54
Thanks for the info, appreciate the direction.

EUPHER49
02-01-2005, 20:49
...with the FCC, QRZ.com, will keep your FRN on its website under your callsign listing's "detailed listing." Also you can access your ULS data directly from there. That is really handy come renewal time...check out your callsign at:

http://www.QRZ.com/ ...

...if you haven't already.

Clay1
02-02-2005, 02:25
I haven't been doing much hamming these days the computer has taken over. I forgot about the vanity call sign I took back in 96 so I am good until 2006. Thanks for the link.

beachside39
02-03-2005, 19:25
That's one of the beauties of ham radio is that, once licensed, it's there whenever you're ready to pick it up again. I was originally licensed in 1959 and decided to become active again in 1999 after years of relative inactivity.

Now I'm operating HF & VHF for a couple hours every weekday during my two-hour round-trip to work. I upgraded to Amateur Extra, became a VE and participate in ARES on a regular basis. What a wonderful way to pass the time and make new friends.

Clay1
02-04-2005, 02:42
Beach side - cool, glad that you are having fun. A simple "how did you get started story". I bought a handheld CB for communicating on road trips with other members of my family. I was researching mobile CB rigs when one person said if you are going to spend that much on a CB buy a "real" radio. I had no idea what they were talking about.

I live in the 9 area. Some of the old timers had to go to Chicago and build a radio and other electronic componets to pass their test. My testing was quit as hard but more stringent than todays classifications. I still passed the 20 wpm to get my extra. I chased DX on voice. Have an old Drake DR4 linear(memory is gone on the model numbers these days - sorry) and a Cushcraft X9 up 60'and loved to chase countries. Not much of a guy to listen to people belching and farting on 80 meters. I was a salesman at the time and the mobile Kenwood really helped all of that windshield time. Sad but I haven't had an HF contact in 3 or 4 years now. Neither of my vehicles, which both have ham plates even have a radio in them. The ham shack just isn't the same room it use to be, but like you said I don't want to loose my license - you just never know.