How much protein do you get per day? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How much protein do you get per day?

Glock13
02-01-2005, 11:11
A couple people at work have told me how bad it was to take protein powder in the last couple days. I have been taking it for 7-8 years now and have had no problems. I usually take 6 servings per day. Two servings in the morning, two in the afternoon, and two before bed.

This alone gets me to about 175g. I try to get to around 300g for the entire day counting food. I weigh about 215lbs.

How much are you taking and how much do you get from powder?

ateamer
02-01-2005, 22:35
On a good day, I get about a gram per pound of bodyweight. Haven't had any problems putting on mass or recovering from workouts.

Only a complete boob would really believe that protein powder is bad for you. It has been used for at least 50 years with no adverse effects.

BCR
02-02-2005, 05:28
I only can squeez in about 180 grams, and I weigh about 185.

I only get 50 from protein powders, the rest from small meals of chicken and milk primarily.

Everyone says too much protein in general can be bad for you, and tax your digestive tract and kidneys. There may be a slight truth to this, as I have had kidney problems in the past few years (never done steroids).

Everyone is a little different and their bodies can tolerate things at different levels.

But it's not like I'm running around preaching protein is bad for you, not even close.

younggenious
02-02-2005, 19:13
What kind of protein powder are you talking about?

Glock13
02-02-2005, 20:15
whey, or whatever kind you use.

El Duderino
02-02-2005, 20:53
It depends on need. If you're seriously lifting, 1.5 to 2 grams per pound of bodyweight is just right. I wouldn't count on getting it all from powder though. It's much better to get all your nutrients from clean whole foods and SUPPLEMENT with powders. And if you're taking in enough water throughout the day you shouldn't have any kidney problems.

Coldstone
02-03-2005, 14:12
protein powder is not bad for you!...now...is it the best?...no...whole food is alot better...but i drink a few shakes everyday.

If your drinking them as a meal i would suggest getting a whey like optinums 100% whey, with low carb, and low sugar, and add a table spoon of olive or flax oil to the drink...this will slow down the digestion process and add a some good healthy EFA;s into your diet.

personally for me it depends on what im doing...in the offseason and winter when i bulk i get 400+ grams per day, but now in the summer when i diet i shoot for about 250-300, and reduce my cals...

1-1.5 grams per lb like the above person said would be suffeciant to be healthy, but if you want more size you gotta eat big!

testosterone
02-03-2005, 16:12
im trying to put in about 1.5-2g per lb...Im close to 240lbs at 5-8 im taking 3 scoops 3x a day....and with the whole foods some times i come close to 480g a day...its tough and its alot of work but you cant build muscle w/o taking in alot of quality protein....
as for it being bad for you, I laugh my ass off everytime i hear somebody tell me that. just make sure you drink alot of water.

Coldstone
02-03-2005, 16:19
Originally posted by testosterone
im trying to put in about 1.5-2g per lb...Im close to 240lbs at 5-8 im taking 3 scoops 3x a day....and with the whole foods some times i come close to 480g a day...its tough and its alot of work but you cant build muscle w/o taking in alot of quality protein....
as for it being bad for you, I laugh my ass off everytime i hear somebody tell me that. just make sure you drink alot of water.
nice size bro...wish i had your heigth

testosterone
02-03-2005, 16:28
Originally posted by Coldstone
nice size bro...wish i had your heigth

I was born short and skinny.....cant grow taller but i can get alot wider....

Coldstone
02-03-2005, 16:30
Originally posted by testosterone
I was born short and skinny.....cant grow taller but i can get alot wider....
lol...hell yeah...i was born tall and fat...got skinny, now im getting thick