Would you eat commercial Elk or Deer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat commercial Elk or Deer?

Quake Guy
02-02-2005, 00:18
Hello,

Got some elk and deer sausage and beef sticks for Christmas in one of those sampler packs. Its all mixed with beef.

Anyway, with all the issues with CWD on game farms, would you eat this stuff? Am I being paranoid?

Personally I would feel better if I was the one harvesting the animals and I think they would likely be healthier than game farms.

f1b32oPTic
02-02-2005, 05:11
id probably eat it but personally i prefer self harvested game meat.

atleast the woodland deer would not have any antibiotics or the vacinations that is common with farmed animals.

noway
02-02-2005, 07:35
Commercialize vension, ostrich and bison has been around for ages. They get the same nutritions as regular bovine does, so CWD is not a bug concern on domestic animals with me.

Price is not cheap tho. Every year I buy about 50# of bison in various cuts and the delivery charges are ridiculously high. But the meat is so nice with almost a sweet like taste. Also it along with the others mention are better in chloestrol and fats etc........

btw: i also have a few stores close by that sells pre-cut and package exotic meats. Prices are what you pay for a choice cut angus steak on avg.

lomfs24
02-02-2005, 23:18
If it was given to me I would eat it. CWD would not be a concern for me. I would not buy it though and it has to do with political issues of farmed game animals. Just me though.

noway
02-03-2005, 07:57
{I would not buy it though and it has to do with political issues of farmed game animals}

So what are the politics involing farmed game animals?

lomfs24
02-03-2005, 09:34
Originally posted by noway
{I would not buy it though and it has to do with political issues of farmed game animals}

So what are the politics involing farmed game animals?

I knew someone would ask that. There are a lot, agricultural, ethical, whether it's right or wrong to let some rich @#$@$@# come out and pay you $30,000 to shoot and elk in a pen and be able to tell all his rich @#$%^ friends that he hunted for it.

There are a lot of political and ethical issues with it. If you don't know what they are this is not the place to educate you about it.

noway
02-03-2005, 09:49
So how does that factor into persons ( farms and ranch ) that raise these game animals under commercial harvesting?

Also, no problem with hunters using the service of an exotic ranch that bring abroad axis and water buffalo for hunting.If the hunter has the money by all means let them hunt and paid for what they hunt. I would love to to take axis or red stag deer on an exotic ranch ( only if I could aford it ) same for a water buffalo.

BTW: nothing wrong or unethical with this.

lomfs24
02-03-2005, 13:50
What I believe to be right or wrong may or may not reflect what you believe to be right and wrong. Ethical and Unethical can also be substituted. Difference of opinion is what makes the world go 'round.

I am not here to convince you one way or the other. I was simply responding to the question as to whether or not I would eat it. If it was given to me, yes, by all mean, I would eat it. However, I would not purchase such a product.

noway
02-03-2005, 14:17
So pruchasing a product like domestic raise beef,pork,turkey or chicken is okay but purchasing domestic raised bison,venision(deer/elk.etc...),ostrich is bad or unethical ;Q And you have no problem with accepting it if given to you free. ;Q

Guess what they are all raised the same way. I can take you to numerous ranches in Central TX that has herds of ostrich/emu raised just like you do a bunch of cow or North Panhandle of Tx and West OK where herds of domestic buffalo are herded & slaughter the same as you typical angus. This is what commericalize game is.

( I'm also assuming the orginal poster post was dealing with farm raised game animals vrs hunting exotic ranches)

lomfs24
02-03-2005, 14:23
I am fully aware of what commercial game farming is all about. I can take you to the same type farms here in Montana. If you don't have a problem with it, fine.

duncan
02-14-2005, 16:35
In Norway and other Scnadanavian countries they regularly raise deer just like cattle.

Minuteman
02-14-2005, 16:44
Some high end resturants in the US have been getting New Zeland farm raised Elk.

T-Bone steaks and tenderloin.

By far, the finest meat I have ever had! Nothing else comes close, and I've tasted just about everything for sale, or that can be shot or raised, in this country.

It is usually not allowed to be raised in a state where there is a wild heard of a similar species. They say they fear cross disease issues. B.S., they are just protecting the cattle industry.

;f

Kilgor
02-14-2005, 23:25
Farm raised elk and deer have a MUCH higher rate of infection with CWD than their wild counterparts.

noway
02-15-2005, 07:37
The state argriculture depts does alot of testing on farm raise deer &elk to check for this on slaugther animals, same for our regular bovine herds.

I heard of farms in wisconsin that find one deer with CWD and the whole assembly is shut down, all deer are quarantine and then killed and brains tissue collected to inspect for prions (sp?).

My hunch ( only a hunch) that when the state ban feeed with cow parts for the cattle industries, this excess feed was delivered to to other sports/industries ( your deer feed, farm raised game & exotics , etc...) and that was how the CWD started to begin with.

If you think about it for a second, it kinda make since. Deer & Elk have been roaming these parts for 100s of year and all of sudden they start coming out with a certain nervous problem. Mankind and all of it's wisedom and interaction is probably the root cause to CWD, mad cow/goat/sheep/etc.........

if we leave nature alone and let nature live by the rules it was naturally setup with, half of these problems would have not develop.

Minuteman
02-15-2005, 11:17
cwd,cjd, bse, etc are all variants of the same prion wasting syndrome.
It is basically canabailism disease.
Cows are vegetarians, feeding them any meat is non-standard for them. Feeding them other cows is canabalism. Feeding it to farmed deer is just as stupid. They are cows too.

BSE will stop when we stop feeding cows to cows. Or we're all dead, which ever comes first.

It is not more common in deer that beef. They are using more rigorous testing methods in deer. If they did the same testing to cows, we would find even more diseased animals.

Please don't let the propoganda on this issue confuse deer vs beef.
It is the feed that is the problem. It is not infeceted feed. It is canabalism feed. It will eventually infect any cow/deer that eats it.

Elk is good. Farming deer/elk is natural and superiour to cows. We should be concernd with what they are being fed, cow or deer.

;?

noway
02-15-2005, 11:43
agreed ^6

man should stay out this and let the animals be natural.

okie
02-17-2005, 22:11
I would eat it for sure;) :cool: