V-Max is GONE, Say 'Hello' to my Tiger... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : V-Max is GONE, Say 'Hello' to my Tiger...

Road Weazel
02-03-2005, 10:57
I've been eyeballin' these for a long time and was finally fed up with the poor handling of the V-Max, so... Sold the V-Max at 10pm and bought the Tiger at 3am off ebay. And my girlfriend calls me 'impulsive' ;Q
The Tiger is an ideal bike for riding here in Arizona, go down the hi-way and then... turn right. Go wherever the heck you want to. Kinda kewl.
Cheers!
Colin

Dandapani
02-03-2005, 11:11
There might be a Tiger in MY future when Zuke drops the V-Strom line...

fnfalman
02-03-2005, 13:20
That's an interesting switch of motorcycle. The Triumph Tiger does look pretty funky! How come yours doesn't have the "tiger stripe" graphic?

MatGlock
02-03-2005, 16:09
I've got a 98 tiger (Green) with over 61,000miles. Great bike. Very reliable. I have ridden mine all over the country. Enjoy.

Road Weazel
02-04-2005, 00:50
I like the V-Strom a lot, I got to test ride one in Germany at the Intermot. That was up high on my list, especially since I'm in the Suzuki dept at work now. I got the Tiger for a couple of reasons... The V-Strom is priced (used) about the same as my Max and a ten year old Tiger was a couple grand less, the Tiger is a little more 'off-road capable' in stock trim and looks a little more like a 'motorcycle' in my opinion. Lemmie say again, I like the Strom. In fact, if my boss gives me grief about having the Triumph in the Suzuki dept I'm gonna tell him that it's an older model called the 'Three-Strom'. (I slay me...)
The Tiger Stripe is on the newer Tigers and I actually like the style of the older ones better. They are kinda funky, but so am I.
I'm glad to hear that you have over 60K on yours, since I'm starting out with 40k on mine. A friend of mine was the Triumph dealer here for several years and has great things to say about how stout these engines are. I need to go through the carbs on mine as they seem to be buggered up. The idle jets are drilled and it won't pass emissions right now. I'll put new o-rings in while I'm at it. The D&D exhaust should be here Monday, I can hardly wait for that. Ohlins makes springs for the front end, those may be next.
Cheers!
Colin

MatGlock
02-04-2005, 10:58
The motor seems to be pretty bulletproof, I have only had to change the oil. Outside of replacing rear wheel bearings and steeringhead bearings I haven't had to do much to mine. I had a 95 tiger for a couple of years and the 98 had much better fork springs. The new spring will probably help out a lot. I have had the 98 since 98 when I bought it with 3600 miles on it. Love it, but probably going to trade it for something in the next couple of years. Maybe a BMW R1200GS. I think you will find the quality of the paint and plastic to be supearior to the Japanese bikes. You made a great choice IMHO. Not many of them around (Triumph imported about 150/yr to the US) so not too many know what it is.

The only downfall to the bike is the tube tires which cannot be plugged and the rear cannot be removed with hand tools. I have had 3 rear tire flats which left me SOL that could have been plugged if it had tube type tires. One time I was about 2600 miles from home.

norton
02-04-2005, 12:53
Originally posted by MatGlock
The motor seems to be pretty bulletproof, I have only had to change the oil. Outside of replacing rear wheel bearings and steeringhead bearings I haven't had to do much to mine. I had a 95 tiger for a couple of years and the 98 had much better fork springs. The new spring will probably help out a lot. I have had the 98 since 98 when I bought it with 3600 miles on it. Love it, but probably going to trade it for something in the next couple of years. Maybe a BMW R1200GS. I think you will find the quality of the paint and plastic to be supearior to the Japanese bikes. You made a great choice IMHO. Not many of them around (Triumph imported about 150/yr to the US) so not too many know what it is.

The only downfall to the bike is the tube tires which cannot be plugged and the rear cannot be removed with hand tools. I have had 3 rear tire flats which left me SOL that could have been plugged if it had tube type tires. One time I was about 2600 miles from home.

GS bikes from BMW, at least at one time, had spoke wheels with tubeless tires. They ran the spokes on the outside of the rim.
I really like the look of spoked wheels, but I agree that flat tires on tube tired bikes are a PIA for sure. Not to mention the possiblity of a blowout causing an accident.

norton
02-04-2005, 12:56
Originally posted by Road Weazel
I've been eyeballin' these for a long time and was finally fed up with the poor handling of the V-Max, so... Sold the V-Max at 10pm and bought the Tiger at 3am off ebay. And my girlfriend calls me 'impulsive' ;Q
The Tiger is an ideal bike for riding here in Arizona, go down the hi-way and then... turn right. Go wherever the heck you want to. Kinda kewl.
Cheers!
Colin

Mad Max was one of the few bikes I ever wanted that I didn't buy. What always put me off was the small gas tank, and the fact that that engine deserved a re designed and updated chassis and bodywork.
Good luck with your Tiger. My nephew and BIL both own triumphs.

hercules
02-05-2005, 17:02
Damn thats an ugly bike.....

quinch
02-19-2005, 01:06
I like it! Neat bike.

Hines57
02-21-2005, 20:25
Mind if I ask how much you got for your V-max? I am thinking about selling mine.

Cool bike BTW.