Advanced Class license holders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Class license holders

MAGAZAGU
02-05-2005, 13:10
The Advance Class license is not offered anymore. Existing Advanced Class license holders will, at some future date, be rolled into the Extra Class bands.

I want to remain an Advanced Class just because there won't be any more of us. Kind of like Dodo birds and Whooping cranes.

k2ue
02-05-2005, 13:47
Does have a certain "old-timer" cache' to it, the Advanced Class ticket. I spend a few days a week in a university research lab and the students regularly make me feel like a dinosaur. But there is a renewed interest in Ham Radio, often because they want to some transmission experiment that can be done legally in a ham band, but not otherwise.

MAGAZAGU
02-05-2005, 15:11
Originally posted by k2ue
Does have a certain "old-timer" cache' to it, the Advanced Class ticket. I spend a few days a week in a university research lab and the students regularly make me feel like a dinosaur. But there is a renewed interest in Ham Radio, often because they want to some transmission experiment that can be done legally in a ham band, but not otherwise.

That is interesting. The hobby has experienced several peaks and declines in popularity since it began. There is inevidibly an area which will make it interesting to young people again.

You know that after WWII (I am told) following several years of NO amateur radio the hobby took off on the strength of surplus equipment that was cheap and familiar to vets.

Tom B
02-06-2005, 14:55
I won't be "rolling" anywhere for at least another 10 years. I just got my Advanced Class ticket renewed.

MAGAZAGU
02-06-2005, 20:46
Originally posted by Tom B
I won't be "rolling" anywhere for at least another 10 years. I just got my Advanced Class ticket renewed.

As I understand it, at present the Advanced Class license holders will be renewed as "Advanced". Next you will be extended Extra Class sub bands as an Advanced. Probably they will next simply make you an Extra which will bring your extinction to full circle.

I think all Advance license holders should chip in five bucks and the last existing "Advanced" gets to keep it.