What to bring along on clinical?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to bring along on clinical??

KD5MSY
02-06-2005, 14:54
Ok, now that I have the stethoscope issue taken care of. What are some things that would be considered basic needs for some one to bring along with them for their clinical? You know the stuff that gets old real quick, when some one doesn’t have it with them and they have to borrow it all the time from you. Remember I am only doing the basic EMT right now. So I’m not bringing the whole dam hospital with me or the life flight chopper… lol.
Just the small stuff, Sheers, forceps, penlights, seat belt cutter, small note book? Also is there any brands of tools (sheers, and forceps) better than others or is all the stuff the same? I will be doing time at the hospital and on the med units, so if there is any thing specific to either of these please let me know. You know what they say take care of the small stuff and the big stuff will fall in to place.

Thanks again for all the help.

Robert

Joey
02-06-2005, 15:22
Only thing you will need are sheers & a pen or two. Ifin ya want you can take you're scope but otherwise that's it.

No need to look like batman now is there;f ;f

KD5MSY
02-06-2005, 15:31
That is why im asking, I would hate to show up with a "utility belt" full of stuff and not need it. But I would hate to show up with nothing and look like a idiot. And I hate to have to keep asking "can i borrow this, can i borrow that", get real old real quick. My neck of the woods we have three good size highways that run through the city, and the city fd provides all ems service to the county, lots of logging truck, and mva, old people. I just hate needing something when some one else needs it to.

Squid.HM2
02-06-2005, 15:42
not sure what you will be doing so hard to say what will be needed. scope,shears,light and pen are basic items from there what could you need? when i did my clinical they didn't let me do crap which really was wrong IMO

Joey
02-06-2005, 15:46
Have you ever checked out the forums over on http://www.firehouse.com/ http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/ They have several EMS forums that are chock full of great info.

We cover parts of 2 major interstates and have more than our share f MVA's requiring extracation. Since I'm on a VFD & a EMT depending on the call I end up in the back of the bus more offen than not after cutting out the PT.

When doing you're clinicals, just kick back & watch/learn. To many people are jabber jaws & won't shut up, but if you have good medics you can learn by watching & then doing.

N2DFire
02-06-2005, 18:03
Pens (2)
Shears
'scope
gloves (2 pair)
Gum/Mints for that "Lunch on the run - Death Breath"

Other than that - lots of eyes & ears open & mouth closed (unless you have questions).

pizzaaguy
02-07-2005, 07:57
When we did our EMT rotations at the E.R. we had to wear blue pants,
shined black shoes, shirt and tie. We were also issued (had to purchase) short white labcoats and "EMT INTERN" name tags.

Bring your stethoscope, pocket-sized notebook and a pen.
Throw some latex gloves and eye protection in your pocket.
Do you have a watch with a second hand so you can take a pulse?

It'd probably also be a good idea to pack a cooler with your dinner or lunch(depending on shift), so you can grab a quick bight in your car.

TerraMedicX
02-07-2005, 10:58
Bring shears (make sure they're sharp 'cause I can tell you from experience that it's embarrasing if they arn't!), possibly your stethascope, and as many pens as you can fit in your pockets...us medics never have shears or pens so we NEED our EMTs to have them for us! ;f

Nate.

hotpig
02-07-2005, 12:49
N2DFire Covers about all that you need. I do love to make fun of my Students when they show up with their 100 piece pouches of stuff that they never will use.

I have been doing this since 1985. All that is needed is.

Sunglasses
Stethoscope
Black ink Pen

Everything else is on the unit or can be borrowed from my Basic.

KD5MSY
02-07-2005, 13:47
Allright this is what i was looking for. thanks everyone.
so i will take my scope, 2 black pens, sheers, small notebook, and my dinner.

thanks again.

FlaFF
02-09-2005, 09:17
Originally posted by KD5MSY
Allright this is what i was looking for. thanks everyone.
so i will take my scope, 2 black pens, sheers, small notebook, and my dinner.

thanks again.

Cookies man, dont forget some cookies.

Instant "in" with the crew.

Have fun.

FlaFF

KD5MSY
02-10-2005, 15:35
good idea, chipsahoy!!!! I will really be in when they chow down then find out I got all the milk in MY cooler....lol...

"Got milk"

Ram Medic
02-11-2005, 08:45
The other posts just about covered it. However, bring a good attitude and desire to learn. Nothing is more irritating than a student that doesn't give a rip. Bring lots of questions, you are there to learn. Always have a little cash on hand for lunch or dinner on the run. Last but not least, leave your pager/radio from another service at the house. Nothing like being on a call, in a house, and a students pager is going off about some crash/fire which is 2 counties away. Just a little food for thought. My .02

lomfs24
02-12-2005, 22:45
I just did my clinical ride along. I have yet to do a clinical at the ER.
I did not take anything with me on the clinical and I certainly didn't feel out of place. It was pretty clear that I would not be doing the lions share of the work. But rather simply observing and doing some light work like taking vitals and such. There was no shortage of tools for what I needed to complete my ride. I pretty much took pulse (I have a watch), took BP (you couldn't move in the rig without tripping over a scope and one BP cuff went on and it stayed on until we got to the hospital). So I didn't feel out of place or useless and I certainly learned alot that night.

lomfs24
02-12-2005, 22:47
BTW, it was pretty slow the night I took my ride along so the crew that I was with took me up to see the city/county dispatch center. That was pretty interesting and gave me a good idea of how the whole police/fire/EMS system works together.

Glkster19
02-13-2005, 16:45
As others have said: pen or 2, notepad and a watch. Oh yeah, the cookies were a wonderful idea.

Also, as others have said. Don't be a big mouth, if you ever want a job with this service they will remember how you acted. Nothing worse than a newbie telling 15yr veterans what they're doing wrong. Playing EMT in the class vs. playing EMT on the street are 2 different tasks.