Creatine...effective? side-effects? dosage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Creatine...effective? side-effects? dosage?

CaliforniaGuy
02-08-2005, 20:50
Any here have experience with creatine?

1.) Is it effective?
2.) Any side effects?
3.) Is there any difference in quality between brands (and is it good to have mixed with other things?)
4.) Is the loading/maintenance dosage schedule recommended by manufacturers the way to go?

Thanks

El Duderino
02-08-2005, 21:00
1- yes, in general
2- no, again in general
3- choose a brand that uses the "Creapure" process, mix with grape juice, don't waste money on the preblended stuff
4- the loading phase isn't needed, and you don't need to cycle it.

Creatine has been around for a long time now and any Google search will turn up a literal ton of info. One of the best boards out there if you have any other questions is SuperiorMuscle.com

testosterone
02-09-2005, 23:06
works only for about 5-6 weeks. it 'infuses' water into the muscle to make it bigger. No real strength increase. no side effects . once you go off you loose your gains via urine. I usually suggest the origional phosphagen made by EAS. mix it with grape juice and drink away. there is a better creatine out now thats highly utilized by the body but its pricey. Creatine Ethyl Ester....u dont need to use as much and you get better results but in the end you still loose your gains

ateamer
02-10-2005, 03:50
I've been using creatine continuously for eight years with no ill effects. Currently, I'm getting it from Max Muscle because their price is pretty good.

sy2k
02-10-2005, 12:53
Creatine is proven effective and there are studies to back it up, unlike many other supplements. Yes, it 'volumizes' the cell, meaning the water uptake is higher into your muscle cells. But, it increases the potential energy production capability of your muscle cells. This often translates into strength gains and better recovery time. That is why it is taken - creatine is not anabolic.

Gastrointestinal upset and cramping is usually the major reported side effect. It also seems to be somewhat more effective when mixed with easily absorbed carbos - like the EAS phosphagen products. I really can't comment much on products.

I tried it but stopped as I couldn't take the cramping any longer. I did add 15 lbs to my bench that month, though.

Steve7
02-10-2005, 13:16
I took part in some of the intial studies of Creatine sponsored by EAS at the University of Memphis. It was a double blind study. The results were that the creatine group increased size and strenght. I made no real gains during the study and turned out to be in the placebo group. After the study I got a case of the real thing. Within several weeks I set a new PR on the bench press.

I think it is the only supplement I took that made a signifigant difference. I am partial to EAS brand.

BCR
02-13-2005, 02:19
Good info from everybody.

I'll add that you should drink plenty of extra water while on creatine. Your muscles are absorbing so much water that you need to drink extra for normal body function and general health.

greaneyk
02-25-2005, 21:38
Just started using it again. One side effect you should be aware of is the ease at which you can get a hangover... I suffered through one this morning after a long island and a beer last night.

I have found it to make a difference, I take about half of what the labels tell me to take.

You won't be able to drink enough water.

I believe it is a natural "ingredient" in meat so it isn't like a purely chemical/synthesized boost.

45acp4me
03-03-2005, 12:55
Originally posted by greaneyk
Just started using it again. One side effect you should be aware of is the ease at which you can get a hangover... I suffered through one this morning after a long island and a beer last night.

I have found it to make a difference, I take about half of what the labels tell me to take.

You won't be able to drink enough water.

I believe it is a natural "ingredient" in meat so it isn't like a purely chemical/synthesized boost.

Strange, if I use creatine when I drink the hang over is a lot less to non existant. Perhaps you didn't have enough water?

Regards,
Glen

Willard
03-03-2005, 18:04
I've used it for years, on and off. Studied alot about it, too.

Here are my tips:

1) Yes, it really works. It DOES cause a lasting strength gain, IF you train properly. The volumization that it causes IS temporary. But, while using creatine, it increases the amount of weight you can lift, and the number of reps you can perform. This leads to muscle growth. The act of "volumizing" the muscle cell also increases the cell's uptake of amino acids, and other nutrients, which causes muscle growth. When you stop taking it, you will lose a little strength (5-10%). But, if you have increased your strength by 30% during that time, you're still WAY ahead.

2) DON'T use Phosphagen! It is loaded with NutraSweet (aspartame).

3) Buy creatine powder. Dissolve it in hot water. Then, mix with ice to make your protein shake. The reported gastric distress from creatine is caused by undissolved crystals. So, dissolve them with hot water. Don't buy the liquid creatine, it's very expensive, and creatine is unstable in liquid form. So, you aren't getting your money's worth. The powder is very stable, long shelf-life.

4) Be sure to have whey protein and simple carbs with your creatine - they all help to increase the absorption of each other.

5) Drink lots of water.

Lift. Eat. Sleep. Grow.

Good luck!

MeanMike
03-14-2005, 18:30
Originally posted by Willard

2) DON'T use Phosphagen! It is loaded with NutraSweet (aspartame).

Im looking at an EAS phosphagen container right now and "aspartame" is not listed as an ingredients... Is it an ingredient which they dont list?

Willard
03-14-2005, 18:48
Originally posted by MeanMike
Im looking at an EAS phosphagen container right now and "aspartame" is not listed as an ingredients... Is it an ingredient which they dont list?

They used aspartame in the past. Looking around on the internet, it looks like they are using Splenda now. It's bad, too.

When you are training, and trying to grow, you need protein, carbs, etc - not artificial sweeteners. The sugars trigger an insulin reponse, which works to increase the uptake of creatine, amino acids and carbs.

Glock9mmFan
03-21-2005, 11:19
Originally posted by Willard
They used aspartame in the past. Looking around on the internet, it looks like they are using Splenda now. It's bad, too.

When you are training, and trying to grow, you need protein, carbs, etc - not artificial sweeteners. The sugars trigger an insulin reponse, which works to increase the uptake of creatine, amino acids and carbs.

That is completely untrue, and numerous studies have held up that neither aspartame nor splenda trigger any sort of insulin response whatsoever. Don't believe the stupid artifical sweetener conspiracy theories on the internet.

Anyway, aspartame is actually beneficial for you. It's comprised of two amino acids, one of which is phenylalanine, an essential amino acid used to make dopamine, noradrenaline, and adrenaline, all of which your body most certainly does need contarary to what the aspartame conspiracy whackjobs want to believe.

"In contrast, aspartame (1.0-10.0 mM), which is devoid of bitter taste, failed to affect insulin secretion."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9884024

"In conclusion: (1) variation in sweet-taste induced by aspartame or by sucrose does not seem to have a major effect on DIT in healthy humans"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10888287

There was a correlation between the increase in plasma phenylalanine and decrease in desire to eat after the liquid meal following the constituent amino acids (r=-.9774, P=.004). In conclusion, it is unlikely that aspartame increases satiety via CCK- or GLP-1-mediated mechanisms, but small changes in circulating phenylalanine concentrations may influence appetite.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12782208

That's right... phenylalanine decreases appetite... what do your Geocities conspiracy pages say about that? ;f

Willard
03-21-2005, 14:56
Originally posted by Glock9mmFan
That is completely untrue, and numerous studies have held up that neither aspartame nor splenda trigger any sort of insulin response whatsoever. Don't believe the stupid artifical sweetener conspiracy theories on the internet.

Anyway, aspartame is actually beneficial for you. It's comprised of two amino acids, one of which is phenylalanine, an essential amino acid used to make dopamine, noradrenaline, and adrenaline, all of which your body most certainly does need contarary to what the aspartame conspiracy whackjobs want to believe.

"In contrast, aspartame (1.0-10.0 mM), which is devoid of bitter taste, failed to affect insulin secretion."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9884024

"In conclusion: (1) variation in sweet-taste induced by aspartame or by sucrose does not seem to have a major effect on DIT in healthy humans"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10888287

There was a correlation between the increase in plasma phenylalanine and decrease in desire to eat after the liquid meal following the constituent amino acids (r=-.9774, P=.004). In conclusion, it is unlikely that aspartame increases satiety via CCK- or GLP-1-mediated mechanisms, but small changes in circulating phenylalanine concentrations may influence appetite.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12782208

That's right... phenylalanine decreases appetite... what do your Geocities conspiracy pages say about that? ;f

OK even though your information on the safety aspartame is incorrect, your own references back up the point I was trying to make: It doesn't make sense to take creatine with aspartame, or any other artificial sweetener. You WANT an insulin response! The insulin spike does several things:

1) increases the uptake of carbs (naturally);
2) increases the uptake of creatine;
3) increases the uptake of amino acids.

This refers to the increased uptake of these substances by the muscle cells! This is exactly the type of anabolic environment one desires if one is taking creatine! So, AT THE VERY LEAST you would compromise the benefits of creatine if you use an artificial sweetener.

Glock9mmFan
03-21-2005, 16:00
The aspartame is just there to make it taste better without adding calories. If you want an insulin spike, just add sugar or dissolve the creatine in a protein shake, juice, etc.

testosterone
03-22-2005, 00:17
hell just bypass the whole glucose trasport method and pop 10iu of humalin-r about 30mins before you take your creatine...

Glock9mmFan
03-22-2005, 09:55
Heh, if there's one problem that American society doesn't have today, it's spiking our insulin levels :)

Mud
03-22-2005, 10:18
Whats your Fav brand/Flavor?

Glock9mmFan
03-22-2005, 10:43
Right now I have a kilo of Twin Labs plain creatine, I mix it in my protein shake. From what I understand though, Pro Labs is just as pure and is cheaper, so I probably should've bought that instead... but whatever. It's cheap enough and lasts a long time.