Ever been on the other side of the call? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever been on the other side of the call?

emt1581
02-09-2005, 00:50
Man did I get an eye opener a few nights ago at the ER!

I had to take a kid in that I work with because he busted his face up playing football.

Forgetting that I wasn't in uniform I walked in and asked for help that I had a kid who lost consciousness on the way and had lost a good amount of blood.

Instead of being taken right in, I was told to take a seat and they would be with me shortly. I asked if the woman was kidding...she wasn't.

Within ten minutes we were taken in and vitals were assessed. The kid could barely answer the questions, that's how out of it he was.

Then we got to sit for a while after that in a bed (him not me), until they decided to send us for a CT. Took a few HOURS to get the results.

In the mean time I observed several EMS calls on the radio in which the nurses walked away while the EMS was giving their report.

I didn't identify myself as an EMT until I was about to leave (following an ambulance to another hospital transporting the kid), and I was talking to a fellow EMT and a Medic.

The nurses all kinda looked at me with a deer in the headlights gaze.

Anyone ever go through any EMS situations involving a hospital off duty?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

emt1581
02-09-2005, 23:37
Guess not.

-Emt1581

Rob72
02-10-2005, 10:24
Yes, as a parent, and personally, as a diabetic. You're right, if you don't "authoritatively" state your problem, with some professional jargon, you will often be shunted aside. If it's me, I usually keep a low profile, and roll with it, until I talk with the doc. With my kids, I'm not above paging an attending, or department director, if it's truly serious. I work as a research coordinator now, so my face isn't as known in this ED, as where I used to live.;a

Glkster19
02-13-2005, 17:03
Fortunately, I've had good luck in that respect. My MIL has been in several times. The hospital she used to go to I had worked PT at for a few years. The 1 she goes to now, I know most and the rest I recognize at least and they recognize me. Been in and out of them for about 15yrs now. Other than the newer people, know most of them by name.

Squid.HM2
02-13-2005, 17:36
I have done it many times and the trick is to walk to walk and talk the talk. walk into the ER and say"he hit his face and is bleeding" you get to take a seat, paint them a grim picture in terms that only a medical person knows and your going in. LOC?, GCS?, as a medic i have standing orders and if i want a med order just tell them what they want and you get it ;Q

hotpig
02-14-2005, 10:59
I work part time as a ER Tech/Medic for a Hospital based County funded Ambulance Service. We work in the ER between Ambulance calls.

One of the first things that I learned is the RN only wants to hear the complaint and eta on a BLS call. The EMT can spend five minutes rambling on about history and meds but the RN is already moved on or is catching up on her charts. If it sounds like the BLS unit needs a ALS Intercept or it is a ALS Unit calling with a ALS Patient. The RN's have to pay more attention in case orders are needed.

Several years ago EMS pushed changes thru much to the dismay of some Nurses. They now have to fill out a form using the incoming Ambulances report. The write down the patient complaint, HX, meds, vitals,allergies,Ambulance number,the EMT's EMS number and treatments given. They also have to document if orders were given or not and it must be signed by the Nurse or Doctor. The form is put in a log and QA is done monthly to make sure everything is done correctly.