How do I get rid of love handles? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of love handles?

PhiKappaTauOx
02-09-2005, 21:49
ok, so i've been working out for a while (pushups, situps, lifting weights, running) but i still have love handles.

do you all, being the fitness gurus you are, know of a way to get rid of love handles? preferably not using any type of expensive equipment.

thank you for all your help!

modgun
02-09-2005, 21:55
Cardio and less fat in the diet.
Seriously, jogging was the only way I got rid of mine. No matter what I tried. Absolutely no fast food in 4 months has helped also.

(im very proud to have lost mine. Ive never, repeat never, had a flat stomach or no spare tire in my life. Ive lost about 45 pounds in the last 6 months. No handles anymore and stomach is getting real close. Just keep it up!)

El Duderino
02-09-2005, 21:58
You cannot spot reduce. The cold hard truth of the matter is you must drop your bodyfat percentage overall to see results in those stubborn areas. With men it's most often the stomach and oblique area, for women it's the hips and thighs. As a general rule, the first place you notice your body naturally gains weight will be the last place you will lose it. Don't waste your money and time on pills, creams or belly bands. Eat clean, drink lots of water, lift regularly and keep aerobic activity up. You'll see results. Just remember that you didn't gain all that weight overnite and you won't lose it all overnite either.

PhiKappaTauOx
02-09-2005, 22:21
Originally posted by modgun
Cardio and less fat in the diet.
Seriously, jogging was the only way I got rid of mine. No matter what I tried. Absolutely no fast food in 4 months has helped also.

(im very proud to have lost mine. Ive never, repeat never, had a flat stomach or no spare tire in my life. Ive lost about 45 pounds in the last 6 months. No handles anymore and stomach is getting real close. Just keep it up!)

i have already stopped eating at fast food places. in fact, now i get sick whenever i try (because of the grease)!

as i have said, i have been running regularly (starting recently). but, i was just wondering if there was anything specific i could do to tone this area.

if not, then i'll just suck it up and keep on truckin'. patience is a virtue

testosterone
02-09-2005, 23:02
actually you can spot reduce specific areas but that would include using special drugs...not something you want to involve yourself with. just burn more cals then you take in. that area is always last to go but trust me, it does go eventually. are you taking any thermogenic supplements to help induce fat loss? Redline by VPX is an excellent product.

PhiKappaTauOx
02-10-2005, 10:01
no, i'm not taking anything (other than vitamins) and i do not plan to. mainly because i prefer to do things the natural way (i avoid drugs of any kind at all costs), and also because of cost. i don't have much money to be spending it on those kind of things.

mhill
02-10-2005, 15:02
Originally posted by PhiKappaTauOx
no, i'm not taking anything (other than vitamins) and i do not plan to. mainly because i prefer to do things the natural way (i avoid drugs of any kind at all costs), and also because of cost. i don't have much money to be spending it on those kind of things.

Good Post. What was said earlier is the answer. Just keep on keepin on.

When running remember it's not the amount of time or speed, it's the distance. As long as you are actually running say at least 6 mph you are doing the best exercise possible. Start slow and work your way up. You can actually get a decent workout in 30 minutes running. Nothing else compares.

How far are you running? I'm running 3 miles a day 4 days a week. It's not much but it really makes a difference.

Oh yeah and buy some decent shoes.

mhill

PhiKappaTauOx
02-10-2005, 16:02
Originally posted by mhill
Good Post. What was said earlier is the answer. Just keep on keepin on.

When running remember it's not the amount of time or speed, it's the distance. As long as you are actually running say at least 6 mph you are doing the best exercise possible. Start slow and work your way up. You can actually get a decent workout in 30 minutes running. Nothing else compares.

How far are you running? I'm running 3 miles a day 4 days a week. It's not much but it really makes a difference.

Oh yeah and buy some decent shoes.

mhill

right now i'm running, more or less, to get in shape for the minimum requirements to join the local police department. so, i'm concentrating on the 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes. so, i'm trying to run 2 miles in 20 minutes.

i run this everyday (90% of the time). when i'm accustomed to this, i'll start moving it up more to longer distances. but right now i'm just zeroed in on trying to accomplish this.

1995GMC
02-10-2005, 16:37
While any exercise is certainly better than no exercise, I think you're gonna have to keep your heart rate elevated for more than 15-20 minutes to really start seeing results.

I really noticed a change in my body when I kicked my mileage up from 3 miles to somewhere between 4 and 6 miles. Usually takes me the first mile or so to get warmed up and my heart pumping good and I'm by no means in excellent shape or a good runner.

modgun
02-10-2005, 19:35
Yes longer cardio is necessary. 20 minutes isnt going to do it. I do a combo of 3mph, 6mph and 9 mph for 1-1.5 hours. I do this 5-6 times a week, and end up going anywhere from 4-7 miles.

6 months ago when I started jogging (hadnt in 8 years!) I started walking about .75 mi a day. I hvae worked up from there.

tyger006
02-11-2005, 14:16
This is the most frusterating part of my body. I really hate how my handles effect the angle of my guns that I carry concealed. losing this would really help me keep a smoother profile...arrggg...--ty

beachside39
02-11-2005, 14:44
Since Christmas, I almost never eat lunches or snacks during the day and the weight is steadily coming off after being obese my entire life. I say almost never because I've gone out for lunch with coworkes twice since Christmas.

I eat oatmeal with Equal, banana & almonds plus grapefruit from my trees almost every morning and leave the house at 8am. Then I don't eat anything until after 6pm so there is a 10-hour period without eating anything and drinking only water and black coffee. I wasn't sure this would help because I tend to eat too much evenings but, by fasting, I'm not able to eat as much as I used to at night any more.

I'm sure that I was healthier with daily exercising and intend to get back to it but my weight wasn't affected. It did help my endurance, HDL & triglicerides though. Diets are too difficult to stick with all the rules and measuring, etc. This is so simple, it's silly. I'm not advocating this and I'm not trained in nutrition or exercise. I'm just relaying my current success with this radical approach.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I reach my target weight which is 100# less than the 286# I was last year. I'm hoping that the weight loss will negate some of my health problems which may reduce or elimiate my need for $300+ co-pays for RX drugs each month. I still have a way to go but it's looking good so far.

The weight is coming off at last. I hope I'm not causing other problems for myself but I've given up on other methods.

modgun
02-11-2005, 22:05
I didnt want to really get into this because people always yell at me...

Yes!
Fasting is the answer!

As I said, I have never been skinny in my life. Even with regular exercise. So I started to change my caloric intake drastically. I eat nothing until dinner. Only water and a 50-50 water juice mix. Then if I get hungry after dinner but before bed I eat as much fruit as I can to fill up.

Once every week or so, I fast for an entire day, only water and the 50-50 mix.

Once every month or two I fast for about 2-3 days. Again only water and 50-50. Basically until I fully clear out the system. (in other words until I "pass" no more solids.)

It has been the only way Ive found to really reduce. And I can eat what ever I want when I do eat! Two birds w/one stone.

People always say it is unhealthy but I am in better health then I ever have been. AND I actually FEEL better. When I talk exercise people say, "oh dont you feel so much better with regular exercise?" I never did. It was nice but I felt no better "in general" than before. Since fasting I actually feel better for a change!

Mycroft
02-13-2005, 23:36
Liposuction

GirlWithGlock
02-18-2005, 16:18
If you're willing to spend a little bit of money (I think it was like $60) you should try a program called "Slim In 6". I bought it for myself, tried it a few times, then joined the gym so I didn't do it anymore. But my husband has been using it and his middle area is melting away. I'm serious...his stomach, love handles, that whole area is shrinking in an amazing way after only 6 weeks. He wasn't fat by any means to begin with, but had a couple of areas that are "problem areas" for men. That workout DVD has been amazing for him. He's never looked so good. It's even building muscle in other areas as well. It comes with a whole bunch of stuff like information on eating healthy, diet plans, etc. but that workout DVD alone is worth the money.

(He does also run on the treadmill or elliptical trainer, too. But the Slim In 6 is what seems to be making a huge difference for him.)

You can find it here if you're interested:

http://www.beachbody.com/jump.jsp?itemID=23&itemType=GATEWAY

GirlWithGlock
02-18-2005, 16:19
Oh, and yeah...the liposuction works, too. Just costs way more. ;)

PhiKappaTauOx
02-18-2005, 18:09
i guess there is always the "Se7en" way of losing weight:

"One pound of flesh, no more, no less.
No cartilage, no bone, but only flesh."

but, i don't think i could stomache that ;g