Opinions on this as a possible new ML purchase [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this as a possible new ML purchase

StockGlock23
02-09-2005, 22:44
I am in the market for a new muzzleloader. I have toyed with the idea of going traditional and I still my go that route but I have found a rifle that has both the look I am leaning towards and the functionality I want. It is a rolling block .50 cal with a 26" barrel and blued/walnut finish.
www.cabelas.com
Search "Rolling Block" and it is the $299.99 rifle on the right. I think it is a great looking gun. It has scope capabilities but since I already have a .54 with a scope I think I want to iron sight this. In fact I am tinkering with taking off the fiber optic sights and trying a sight system similar to what is on a Ruger 10/22. Basically I would like to have a modern rifle with classic looks and a more traditional sighting system. Well I have rambled enough. Your thoughts?

Sixgun I know you will read this and I admire your will to stay "old school". In fact you are partly responsible for me wanting something besides my inline.

StockGlock23
02-09-2005, 22:47
The attachment is of the gun I figured I would link Cabela's if you wanted to see the stats. Also with a 1:24" R.O.T. what would be the best to shoot in this rifle sabots or round ball? I imagine sabots since I have heard round ball takes a slower twist. I have a whole slew of questions about round ball but that is a different ball of wax.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-10-2005, 00:11
I was thinking "blackpowder cartridge" when I saw "Remmington Rolling Block", it is a new one on me that they produced one as a muzzleloading rifle. Looks good.

1/24" twist rifling? Probably for sabots, but you may want to try the heavy conical bullets too. A rifle barrel for ball will have a much slower rifling twist, like 1/66" or so.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-10-2005, 00:14
Whoa!

I missed that part about "functionality". What questions do you have about the functionality of the traditional guns?

StockGlock23
02-10-2005, 06:16
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
Whoa!

"functionality"

Weatherproof I think is a more appropriate term. I know that cap and ball or even flintlocks are more than sufficent to hunt with. They are a proven design that have been around for hundreds of years.

Thanks for the info about the sabots/conicals.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-10-2005, 13:09
Bad weather can be overcome with some knowledge and attention to detail when using traditional guns.

Always use a quality flintlock, Siler is the best. Be sure to grease the edge of the closed flash pan when going out into incliment weather. Just a little bit will do ya.

On caplocks, use a tight fitting cap on the nipple. Then apply a wee bit of hot wax to seal it.