Commentary On Life [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Commentary On Life

ewert
02-10-2005, 03:21
I wrote this a few years back when I worked in a "cube farm." Any comments?

Commentary on Life: 1999

As I sit here gazing out upon the canyon of concrete and steel before me, I wonder which raindrop will win the race to the bottom of the glass. The cars and trucks in the distance resemble ants, although it is doubtful that they work even nearly as hard. Even with the hustle and bustle of the city, people have this air of wandering aimlessly. Yes, they know their physical destination, but they really don't seem to know where they are going. Every moring the same routine, somehow it seems like a sick lab experiment...and we are the rats. In these conglomerates called companies, there are clusters of people, which are broken down into individuals. it has been my experience that people are stupid, but individuals are intelligent. Individuals have stories to tell, real lives with pain, sorrow, gladness, and even whimsical giddiness. She just bought a house, his child has LD. He just became a new daddy, that guy is sicker than a dog, and she is always happy. Is she really always happy, or is she paid to be that way? Being the bosses secretary requires someone to smile and say, "Why sure! I would be happy to help you." Most are collecting a paycheck. They trade dollars for hours. Othes are constantly walking against the flow going upstream, trying to make it a better place to be. There are here, more than anywhere else, for most of their lives. Work becomes their identity. It isn't "Hi, I'm John Doe and I'm a dreamer, a father, a husband, and idealist," it is usually, "I'm John Doe and I work for ACME Inc." Say John, how is that family of yours? He doesn't know, he is too busy building some explosives for that Wyl E. Coyote character that is trying to catch some bird. Well, enough about life, the raindrop on the right won the race to the bottom.