Paramedic civilian Ride along [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Paramedic civilian Ride along

Jaron
02-12-2005, 12:09
I'm going on a ride along tonight just to see what it's all about and was hoping to get some advice. I have no medical training. I was really just wondering if I should be paying attention to anything in particular, if there are any important questions I should be asking and what I should expect in general. As always any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ram Medic
02-12-2005, 16:11
Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Have a good time and hope you get a good call or two.

lomfs24
02-12-2005, 21:41
I will respond even though by now you are probably well on your way to learning what it's like.

I just did my clinical a couple weeks ago for an EMT-B class. What I was most interested in was learning about procedures and how it happens in the real world vs. how it happens in the book.

For instance in the book and testing sheets you are supposed to do a SAMPLE report before you do a rapid trauma assessment. However, all the paramedics I talked to said that the most critical thing with a trauma pt. is to get them moving in the direction of the hospital. With that being said they all agreed that you would probably package the pt. and load and go and get a SAMPLE report enroute to the hospital.

So I paid attention to the differences between what the book said to do and what happens in the real world.

One of the reasons, perhaps, that we do things a tad differently here is that we are so far from medical centers. On some of our highways that are typical accident prone highways it would not be uncommon for a pt. to beat the paramedics to an accident scene by 30 minutes or so. Then you have a 30 minute ride back to the hospital.

So you don't have what the book calls "The Golden Hour". "The Golden Hour" here is just getting them to the hospital.

obxprnstar
02-18-2005, 15:48
So, how was the ride along?

Jaron
02-19-2005, 08:34
The Ride along went well. I learned a lot, I went one another one a couple of days ago and am hoping to get on one tonight. I have decided to pursue EMS as a career. I think that it is an honorable profession and a pretty good way to spend your time on this planet. Class starts May 10/05 and is being taught by the private ambulance service that I have been riding with. Anyone have any advice on EMT-B school? Anyway thanks for the info.

DepChief
02-19-2005, 09:09
Originally posted by Jaron
The Ride along went well. I learned a lot, I went one another one a couple of days ago and am hoping to get on one tonight. I have decided to pursue EMS as a career. I think that it is an honorable profession and a pretty good way to spend your time on this planet. Class starts May 10/05 and is being taught by the private ambulance service that I have been riding with. Anyone have any advice on EMT-B school? Anyway thanks for the info.

Study, study, study, and if you have some free time, you might want to study.

Tol
02-19-2005, 10:15
Just out of curiousity, what area are you in?

Don't be shy about asking questions in class.

Clinicals are what you make of them. Don't just do the bare minimum. Lot so folks figure that they're there for 500 hours so they might as well make it easy. But you can really learn a lot in that down time. If you are consistently working hard, you'll get invited in for the good stuff.

Drink with your instructors.

Tol

Jaron
02-19-2005, 13:32
Tol,

I'm in Colorado on the Front Range. Class starts May 10 and I go in and finish the paper work and pay all the fees on Monday. I plan on buying all the texts on Monday and to start reading ASAP, so please forgive me if I start posting a lot of not so intelligent questions. I know I won't understand all of it but I figure the more I hear/read the things I need to know the better off I'll be. I'm all about getting to know the instructors in a social environment (read bar) thanks for the advice.

Firefighter631
02-19-2005, 20:50
As they say the only "non intelligent" questions are the ones you dont ask. Just remember, study hard and if you have a question ask.

lomfs24
02-19-2005, 23:52
Preface: I am just finishing my EMT-B.... practicals for the class tomorrow. Practicals for NREMT in about 3 weeks, written for EMT-B in about a month and a half (scheduling conficts with medical director). Just finished drinking w/ the boys about 1/2 an hour ago.

Here is my advice. One of my instructor, in the past, has had the priviledge or writing questions for the NREMT exam. He pointed out (and I have witnesses) that the book (which ever one you use) is not written by the NREMT. The course instructors, if they are good, should try to follow the curiculum (sp? drinking problems, see preface). Point being, what is covered in class, what is covered in your book, what happens in the real world and what is covered on your test will quite possibly be four different things. No matter what is covered in class or what your book says or war stories your instructors might tell you, always go back to the NREMT ciriculum because that is what you will be tested on. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS go back to your ciriculum.

I have been told that you can download it from the internet but I don't know the site. The NREMT has a site, www.nremt.org , I haven't poked around there long enough to see if you can get the ciriculum there or not. I got a printed copy of it from my instructor and it looks to be slightly over one ream of paper (500 pages). He says that if you know that front to back there is absolutely no way you will fail the test. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, go back to your ciriculum. You will have plenty of time to learn bad habits in the field later.