Calhoun Bullets? Double Hollow Point? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun Bullets? Double Hollow Point?

StockGlock23
02-12-2005, 19:21
Has anybody here ever used these? I came upon them in the new Cabela's catalog and they chamber them in .221 Fireball so I am real interested since there is a real shortage of variety of factory loads for this caliber. (There is currently 1 and Nosler is designing another one now but I don't think it has been released yet) I could not find any good Calhoun websites that show expansion or ballistics. Also what is a double hollow point? Does it have a hollow point front with a hollowpoint boattail or what? Thanks in advance for any info.

I posted this in the Caliber Corner and did not get too many responses so I thought I would try it here. Basically I am looking for coyote/varmit/target bullets.

mpol777
02-12-2005, 20:26
They are explosive, varmint syle bullets with thin jackets. The double HP comes from it having a large, deep HP to encourage rapid expansion. I have not used them myself, so I can only guess at what they would do to flesh and fur. The way they are advertised leads me to believe they would be similar to a V-Max or Berger MEF.

AK_Stick
02-13-2005, 03:23
if you want extremely explosive they are great, I've used them on yotes and they make BIG holes. pretty much a kill no matter where you hit them, as they do alot of damage. I seen one guy hit a yote a little too far back and the exit wound was about the size of my fist.

tjpet
02-13-2005, 10:40
I used them exclusively in the 90's when coyote pelts brought decent money. They turn a .223 into an excellent anchoring tool without doing any external offside damage. Never had one go all the way through. The only other caliber with as good a track record, in my hands, is the .17 Remington and it doesn't have to be specialty loaded. It is THE varmint round if you want to save fur.

Now that dogs aren't worth squat they get the same old reload WW 55grn. SP/Wolf 55grn. HP treatment that any other varmint gets.

StockGlock23
02-13-2005, 11:35
So how is the accuracy on these? Typical of everything else or are they any better? I will be shooting these out of a Rem 700 in .221 Fireball.

tjpet
02-13-2005, 12:18
They shoot as accurately as anything else on the GP bullet market.

AK_Stick
02-14-2005, 03:58
you've never seen em go all the way through? God, I wonder if I've got the wrong bullet in mind

tjpet
02-14-2005, 17:12
Originally posted by AK_Stick
you've never seen em go all the way through? God, I wonder if I've got the wrong bullet in mind

Could be. The double HP is made to explode inside without doing damage to the outside. It's always been touted for making lower velocity varmints rounds (i.e. .222, .223, etc.) kill dramatically without ruining hides.