Ride Like A Pro [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ride Like A Pro

Texas T
02-12-2005, 20:46
This is a review of a training video I posted on another forum. I thought it might be helpful for some of the newer riders here...

Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's Ride Like A Pro DVD

Jerry is a "Motor" cop in Florida.

The DVD is right at one hour in length. It is accompanied by a double-sided single-page practice guide with diagrams (so you can take it with you to the practice area).

The training is very focused on slow handling; straight, weaving, turning, u-turns, circles, figure-eights. All the bikes used are large cruisers or touring bikes so that you can see that the maneuvers are able to be done with any size bike.

He uses himself, a couple other motor officers, and a couple of people he's trained for 3-6 hours including his 16 yr old son and his wife.

The video and audio quality is good and there is some humor thrown is as well. It is not a "dry" training video.

There are also sections on braking from speed and then swerving to avoid an obstacle, proper curve handling.

Biggest takeaway is "head and eyes" and rear wheel braking at slow speeds. Head and eyes is because where you are pointed is where the bike will be going. Rear wheel braking because at slow speeds the use of the front brake will take you right down.

Oh, he also begins the video with a couple of examples of lifting a downed bike. He does it, a large guy does it, and his 110lb wife does it.

For a new rider such as myself it goes into more detail than what I received during my MSF training and I would recommend watching it before that class if possible. It will make what they teach in the class more understandable and easier to put into practice.

While he does do individual training at some events it appears that the majority of his business is via mail order/web.
http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

Glock30fan
02-14-2005, 03:33
I thought it was really good, too. I use the techniques that he teaches for tight turns with success. It's something every newby should see/buy/rent.

fnfalman
02-14-2005, 12:01
I'm gonna order one right now. Thanks for the heads-up!!!

OMEGA5
02-14-2005, 16:56
In 1970, I trained as a Motor Cop in Washington DC. Jerry's video brought back a lot of stuff I had forgotten over the years. It's worth every penny but you need to practice the stuff too. Find yourself an empty parking lot now and then and go to it.