How do you structure your writing time. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you structure your writing time.

Jack23
02-13-2005, 10:32
Just wondering how every one else does it. Do you set specific periods aside each day? Weekends? Or do you just grab little "windows" of opportunity as they pop up.

While we're at it, do you write at home or do you have a quiet place like an office or something to go to?

I'm retired and it's just me and the missus so I can pretty much set my own schedule. She has her own computer so we don't have to compete for time at the keyboard.

I think one of the reasons I didn't start writing earlier was because of all the noise and drama that constantly filled my life and my house.

So...what's your story?

Miss Maggie
02-13-2005, 11:39
How much time and when I spend it writing depends on what I'm working on at the time and on what I've got going at my regular job. I do most of my writing at home. When something really grabs me and the thoughts flow, I often write all night. Most mornings I do at least a little writing, but I have no set time limits.

During time away from the keyboard, I scratch short notes to myself when an idea hits. This might be a phrase or two, it might be just a word. I've found if I don't have some kind of note, I often lose the thought. I've even written on my hand to capture a thought or line until I get where I can jot it down.

Jack23
02-13-2005, 12:13
Originally posted by Miss Maggie
I've found if I don't have some kind of note, I often lose the thought. I've even written on my hand to capture a thought or line until I get where I can jot it down.

Hey, I hear ya! ;Q And the problem seems to get worse as the years pass. I'm now to the point that I can never find the notes I've made and left laying around since I last hit the keyboard. Sigh....

walpur6isknight
02-20-2005, 11:30
Typically, I set aside my evenings on the weekends to write. My weekday evenings to read, of course. I have 2 library cards. one Metropolitian, one Pioneer. Those are the two library systems around here. I know, theres that thing called Inter-Library Loan. I'm not ruhtuhduhd! LOL! I just like to go to all of them for some reason.

Back to the point at hand.
----------------------------
sometimes i do this thing i think of as speed writing. my objective is to convey as many points and ideas, or tell a story, in a given time period. as quick as i can of course. obiously i have to sans the punctuational correctness. often times there are alot of grammatical errors. as you will see here.but my objective is simply to convey an idea or opinion or anything you can think of in as short a period of time as possible, just to see what i can do in 15 minutes or less. sometimes 5, i go 2 or 3 every now and again.
you should see my handwriting, it doesnt even look like english, but i can read it, i can make out the characters just fine!!!

Miss Maggie
02-20-2005, 17:19
Originally posted by walpur6isknight

sometimes i do this thing i think of as speed writing. my objective is to convey as many points and ideas, or tell a story, in a given time period. as quick as i can of course. obiously i have to sans the punctuational correctness. often times there are alot of grammatical errors. as you will see here.but my objective is simply to convey an idea or opinion or anything you can think of in as short a period of time as possible, just to see what i can do in 15 minutes or less. sometimes 5, i go 2 or 3 every now and again.
you should see my handwriting, it doesnt even look like english, but i can read it, i can make out the characters just fine!!! [/B]

What is your purpose for these writings? Do you refine them into stories later, or is it mostly for practice?

walpur6isknight
02-20-2005, 20:31
My objective is to imagine a situation in which I am in a conversation with someone in which I want to educate about a certain point. I like to arm myself with information in which I can use to further my case.

Its kind of crazy to some, alot of my friends say its all anti-corporate america anti-Bush anti-capitolism and even anti-American propaganda.

I think that idea is completely absurd.

------------------

if you knew how much raw material any given company had to extract from the earth to gain one dollar of revenue, i think you would choke.

i believe there are far too many flaws with the first "industrial revolution", and no industry is truly capable of making their products sustainably. and without harming our ecosystemm.

its almost impossible.
IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

too many companies wont even consider alternatives to oil.
renewable energy isnt profitable for halliburton and the like.

you cannot make paper sustainably, and if you can, please tell me how.

id like to know so i can save the trees.

yes its true, i want to save the trees, i want to have peace on earth, i want to save the animals, i dont eat meat, i dont own a car, and i carry a big stick. a .357 kind of stick.
and i have to carry that stick because this is not a utopian society, its a "how to get over on the next guy" kind of society.

but what can i do about it?

yes its true, i have an 8th grade education, i come from a very poor family in a very poor neighborhood.

and i care, about the earth, about the water, about other creatures, their habitats, and everthing that has just as much right to be here as us.

i just want to impact people that i come into contact with,
perhaps we can do some volunteer work together.
lets do something good for this place,
lets give, and not see what we can take.
id rather give everything that i have,
than take any one thing.

we are all the same in God's eyes. we are all equals, we are the same, but i know inside i do no evil, only good, and my environment comes before my bottom line, every time. and my neighbors clean air, yes that girl with all the loud music, comes before my bottom line. capitol is evil, its the devils tool to seperate us.

capitolism has incentives. theres money to be made, to buy goods.

but what are we? your either a buyer or a seller if you are a human, there is no in between.

we are all consumers.
we are programmed to buy goods to make our lives easier.
to seperate the two classes. the rich, and the poor.

but its nothing we dont alread know, none of us live under a rock, this is all comon knowledge.

but with coming together, we can all do something.
they want us to sit in front of the boob tube, and do nothing.
they want us to be sheep.
the corporate evil doers and govt working hand in hand to control us.
the only policies/agendas that hit the floor are the ones with money behind them.
hard or soft, its money, and it controls everything from the EPA and how an ILLEGAL dumping site in oklahoma is, well, getting dumped at, to how unbeleivable gas mileage allowances are aloted to new trucks. it controls every issue there is. its money. capitol. its the only thing that matters to evil ones.

oh well, i may very well find myself just north of fairview, oklahoma, videotaping some material of some kind being burried, next to a small river of all things. some might argue its less that 200 miles long.
ever hear of groundwater traveling?
since when is it safe to burry hazardous materials next to a body of water? is this safe to do now with some new super duper containment system? i doubt it.
if ya havent you might be a little ruhtuhduhd.
or at least uninformed.
----------------
OK. My 5 minutes. Well, Okay, it was close to 7. I type so much faster when im doing that! I need to shut it, now. I know I'll get a heck of a "go away" from this one.
Its full of errors, grammatical and punctuational. However, it is raw emotion for me. it has to be as raw as possible. I want it all published just like that.
I am dreaming, I know. I can dream, right?
Me, published? NEVER!
Well, I have to go clean one of my "sticks" now!
and yes the only thing i get right is God's name up there.
What is more important than GOOD orderly direction?

Glennbo
02-23-2005, 00:26
I do much of my best writing at work. During the winter it's very slow at times, and there are half-hour long periods when nobody comes into the store. Plus it really helps in writing realistic dialogue when you've just finished having a conversation with some stranger, then sit down and continue writing. Tonight I "cleaned up" a couple of my recent stories with some sight re-writes that worked out really well. I'm very happy with these two stories now and will send them off to the copyright office this week. That makes eight short stories completed! I rarely write at home, and never in the summer. I waste too much time on Glock Talk!

Miss Maggie
02-24-2005, 08:06
Originally posted by Glennbo
I do much of my best writing at work. During the winter it's very slow at times, and there are half-hour long periods when nobody comes into the store. Plus it really helps in writing realistic dialogue when you've just finished having a conversation with some stranger, then sit down and continue writing. Tonight I "cleaned up" a couple of my recent stories with some sight re-writes that worked out really well. I'm very happy with these two stories now and will send them off to the copyright office this week. That makes eight short stories completed! I rarely write at home, and never in the summer. I waste too much time on Glock Talk!

In past years, I've done most of my writing in winter, too. This year I have let my interest in the Glockboard take up a lot of my writing time.

Is there any particular reason you send your stories to the copyright office and do you do that before you submit? I've never had any copyrighted, but wonder if that's been a mistake. I understand that once an article or story has been published, it becomes a part of the mass body of writing out there and you no longer own it, anyway. Does having a copyright change this? How do you go about getting a copyright and what does it cost? Thanks for any help. Miss Maggie

Jack23
02-24-2005, 11:30
Miss Maggie, As I understand it, if you cw your writing, it would be unlawful for anyone to reproduce or use your work with out your permission. Here is the website for copywriting. It is big, I know but all the info and forms you will need are in there.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Glennbo
02-25-2005, 22:44
Originally posted by Miss Maggie

Is there any particular reason you send your stories to the copyright office and do you do that before you submit? I've never had any copyrighted, but wonder if that's been a mistake. I understand that once an article or story has been published, it becomes a part of the mass body of writing out there and you no longer own it, anyway. Does having a copyright change this? How do you go about getting a copyright and what does it cost? Thanks for any help. Miss Maggie I had a story stolen once. It's a precaution I've taken since then. I don't know if any of you have ever had a story stolen from you before, but I can only imagine that getting raped feels similar.

Miss Maggie
02-25-2005, 22:58
I had a story stolen once. It's a precaution I've taken since then. I don't know if any of you have ever had a story stolen from you before, but I can only imagine that getting raped feels similar.

Oh, no! Did the thief publish it? I've been robbed of money, but having money stolen could never come close to having a story stolen.

Wmarden
03-03-2005, 01:17
I come up with notes and story ideas during the day. Usually my first brake period works great for this. Sometimes I bounce ideas of co-workers. I have alot of goofy idea pop up. But back to my point, alot of ideas come up at work and I write when I can then. I polish stuff at night and on my weekends. I sometimes also write before I go to bed. I need to be more focused and disciplined with my writing.

CottenClown
03-28-2005, 22:56
I had a story stolen once. It's a precaution I've taken since then. I don't know if any of you have ever had a story stolen from you before, but I can only imagine that getting raped feels similar.

I used to be in a local band several years ago (I play guitar) until myself and the bassist had a falling out. Well... It was actually more like a brawl, but... In my haste to leave, I left behind some sheet music for a song I was working on, lyrics, the whole deal. Sufficed to say (I won't mention any names because I don't want to be "that guy") I turned on the radio at work one day and what did I hear? You guessed it! The song my friend and I worked on for weeks! And, of course, stupid me with all of my apprehension never played it for anybody, never showed it to anybody, and ended up with a big fat nothing because there was no proof I wrote it. The thing that got me going was the song was EXACTLY like I had written it right down to the note. Ever since then, I've had copyrights on everything I've written, even the unnumbered pages of "garbage" I've pumped out. Plus, I've been so POed about it, I've have a very hard time writing music since then. OK. I actually haven't written any music since then... I've also gotten into a very paranoid habit. Everything I write (poetry, short stories, a novel I'm working on and probably will never finish) is written by hand and my notebook never leaves my house. The only time it ever gets anywhere near my computer is when I type it up to send it off to Washington.

On a side note, I've heard that an acceptable form of "poor man's copyright" is to send your work to yourself via USPS registered mail and only let a judge open the package/envelope if needed. Never tried it myself but was wondering if anybody had any thoughts along those lines.

Jonathan