Bike Week [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bike Week

norton
02-13-2005, 16:56
Anybody heading to daytona for bike week?
Daytona is a m/c riders paradise.
Not only the spectacle of main street, but the action runs the gamut in m/c's.
I especially like the bike auction, the track, the good food and the mild days and nights of riding near the ocean.
My last trip there was in 2000. Took my VFR in the pickup, stayed at a motel in Flagler with several buddies.
Great stuff, especially if you live in a cold weather state where riding is nearly impossible in the winter.

fnfalman
02-14-2005, 11:04
The last time I was there was back in 1992. Too bad I'm so damn far out that the ride/drive/tow is not a very practical consideration.

k12lts
02-14-2005, 18:14
My last trip to Bike Week was 2003. I went seven times between 1992 and 2003. Can't go this year but I'll be there for sure next year, my son is moving to Palm Coast so I'll have a place to stay.

I always camped with the BMW crowd in the Flagler Beach area when I went.

It's a great way to start the riding season after being parked for three months.

I trailered down the first two years but rode the other five from Indiana. It was cold but we had good gear including heated vest and chaps.

There is no bad weather, only bad gear....

Texas T
02-14-2005, 23:36
Originally posted by fnfalman
The last time I was there was back in 1992. Too bad I'm so damn far out that the ride/drive/tow is not a very practical consideration. Consider shipping it next year. One thing I found out when I contracted with Haul Bikes is that they do a lot of special events like Daytona in which they pick up bikes all over the country, drop them off in Daytona, pick them up at the end of the event and ship them back to the owners.

This works out real well for folks such as yourself that want to spend the time there on the bike but can't afford a week or more on the road to get there and back. I'm pretty sure they offer a decent rate for the round trip haul but you'd have to check the site.

www.haulbikes.com

RugerFan58
02-15-2005, 04:57
Not going to Daytona but we'll be going to Loudon,NH for sure. Our house in Maine is only about 35 miles from there. It's a good time.;c

fnfalman
02-15-2005, 10:28
Texas T,

Thanks for the advise. I'll check it out and see if the cost isn't too prohibitive.

Texas T
02-15-2005, 10:48
Thanks for the advise. I'll check it out and see if the cost isn't too prohibitive. $700 round trip CA-FL-CA.

fnfalman
02-15-2005, 12:37
Damn! That's a significant chunk of change. Then you gotta factor in my own trip out there via plane ride and hotel cost at inflated rates. We're talking about probably three or four thousand bucks all together. That's a trip to the Far East or Europe for about three weeks.

norton
02-15-2005, 14:19
Originally posted by k12lts
My last trip to Bike Week was 2003. I went seven times between 1992 and 2003. Can't go this year but I'll be there for sure next year, my son is moving to Palm Coast so I'll have a place to stay.

I always camped with the BMW crowd in the Flagler Beach area when I went.

It's a great way to start the riding season after being parked for three months.

I trailered down the first two years but rode the other five from Indiana. It was cold but we had good gear including heated vest and chaps.

There is no bad weather, only bad gear....

I stayed at the Space Coast BMW campground several times during the late 80's and 90's. Had those $2 all you can eat pancakes almost every morning.
Harley riders roaring up and down the access road all night was a real treat.
Wasn't the campground sold for development?

k12lts
02-15-2005, 14:35
That's the story I heard but I stopped by in 2003 and they still had people in the regular campground. The part the Space Coast club used was being turned into a golf course.

Everything else was still the same including the bands at the pavilion.

I have two buddies that are riding down this year. Weather like we are having today makes me want to go too.

Texas T
02-15-2005, 17:13
Damn! That's a significant chunk of change. It's not bad when you consider a typical one-way shipment of a bike cross-country is in the neighborhood of $650. The usual customer for these roundtrips is the wealthy businessman that doesn't have a lot of spart time but does have a lot of spare dinero. ;)

Texas T
02-15-2005, 17:14
Originally posted by norton
I stayed at the Space Coast BMW campground several times during the late 80's and 90's. Wasn't the campground sold for development? The guy holding my bike is going down on the 4th and said that the BMW guys have invited the COG guys to join them so I'd say it's still available.

k12lts
02-16-2005, 07:29
There is still a BMW camp but it's across the interstate from the old Bulow site. It's at a Holiday Travel Park on Old Dixie Highway.

Nice facility, clean restrooms, plenty of hot water and decent food. No bands and not as much noise from the "loud pipes save lives" crowd.

I stayed there the last two years I went.