Creating your own carry purse? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Creating your own carry purse?

RF7126
02-13-2005, 23:08
My girlfriend and I had an idea about creating a carry purse relatively cheaply. Would it be possible to sew a strong piece of leather (say from a belt) into the inside of a purse, and place a regular IWB holster inside the purse, latching onto the belt piece? Basically recreating the IWB inside the purse. Would that work assuming the stitching is strong enough? She's looking at a G19 right now.

Doug_Y
02-14-2005, 19:16
Try this thread.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314631&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=1

My wife made a carry purse and the pictures and gory details are in that thread somewhere.

I hope this helps.

RF7126
02-14-2005, 20:47
That looks a great idea, but we were concerned about a couple of things and are curious how well it works for you. Mostly we were wondering if the velcro would stay put in the event of a fast and inelegant draw, and whether you feel confident that the trigger is well protected. If those aren't problems then that looks great and is probably what we'll do. :)

Doug_Y
02-14-2005, 21:26
And now for a word from Mrs. Doug_Y

I haven't had any problems during practice. (Luckily, I haven't had to pull for real). Because the gun is between my back and the weight of the stuff in the purse, the velcro holds well and the holster doesn't move with the gun when I draw. I did make sure I got heavy duty velcro.
The holster that I used is a Double-Triple and covers the trigger when the gun is holstered. The velcro is only on the side furthest from my back and so my trigger finger slides between the purse and the outside of the holster, so I don't touch the trigger until I want to.
I do try to practice weekly (which lately translates to every other week). The practice has definitely helped me feel comfortable with the draw.
Hope this helps.

OK, I'm back and I'm going to add my two cents. If you are worried about protecting the trigger get a Saf-T-Block. I use one when I'm carrying my G30 loose in my parka pocket or any soft holster and I've found the Saf-T-Block doesn't add any time to my draw and presentation. Now I just need to figure out how to draw quickly from my parka...

RF7126
02-14-2005, 21:33
Awesome, thanks for the help. I think that's what we'll do too. ^c