Weapons Ban in the firehouse [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Ban in the firehouse

Squadman
02-15-2005, 11:53
Our policy is no weapons on the department property if you are employed by the fire department. It is a plus and a minus, for those who are responsible and have permits or hunt, a minus, and for those that are not too responsible, a plus. With a lot of people getting offended, the department swayed to that extreme. What does your place of employment have in terms of policy?

N2DFire
02-15-2005, 15:10
Volunteer Rescue Agency - No firearms on premisis per By-Laws (nothing posted)

Volunteer FD - no stance one way or the other but the FD has no provisions for overnight or bunking in so it's not a big deal.

Unsure of any County level policy on the subject.

DepChief
02-15-2005, 23:10
Town ordinance - no weapons allowed in town buildings unless you are a LEO.

hotpig
02-16-2005, 09:27
No weapons except for us Arson guys,other LEO and Licensed PI that are actually working a case or going to or from. We had to add the PI stuff since so many of our guys do that and stop in the station from time to time.

jlw_84
02-16-2005, 22:32
My volly dept doesn't care as long as your smart about it. Dont act stupid with it. But if you want to show a rifle or pistol off to the guys then take it back to your car, its all good.

Squadman
02-17-2005, 17:23
My volly dept doesn't care as long as your smart about it. Dont act stupid with it. But if you want to show a rifle or pistol off to the guys then take it back to your car, its all good.

It used to be like that, but more people get offended with anything so all has to comply. If one has to drive an hour away then you are not armed to and back from work.

Joey
02-19-2005, 12:32
My VFD came out with new SOG's in one of them says "no unauthorized firearms" in the station.

Now if I just knew what "unauthorized" means to the Chief offcers & board.

I did bring up the subject about getting pistol lockers & one officer gave me a deer in the headlights look and asked why I'd cary a gun;Q ;Q

All I said was I'd be making less calls since I'm not going to leave a pistol in the car.

Sometimes I wonder why

Tvov
02-21-2005, 22:52
We have an unwritten policy of no firearms in our VFD. Sort of a "don't ask, don't tell". The great majority of our members own firearms and/or hunt.

Slinger646
02-21-2005, 23:52
Originally posted by jlw_84

+1

cessna126
02-23-2005, 22:57
Half of the officers all took the course together in my town. The department could care less about who has a gun and who doesnt. As long as they arent being stupid. If I didnt know the people, I wouldnt know they were carrying.

ff19106
02-25-2005, 02:37
Our S.O.P.'s are in accordance with state of Georgia regulations:

-Vehicle owners may have weapon's in vehicle "Extension of home"

-No firearms in Publicly owned / Publicly operated buildings

Side Note: Myself as well as others are permitted C.C.W. license holders and carry concealed when off duty.

I stop by the station frequently when off duty and I do this while carrying,I must admit here and now that I don't usually doff and stuff the pistol into the locked console or remove from my leather jacket and put firearm into the saddlebag of my bike.

Common sense obviously prevails here!

Tvov
02-25-2005, 15:03
Originally posted by ff19106

-No firearms in Publicly owned / Publicly operated buildings

VFDs can differ here, as many departments own the building, not the town. My department is like this.

Squadman
03-08-2005, 16:24
Our county lost out in a battle with VCDL for illigal posting of signs banning firearms to all county buildings, so they opted to put it in the S.O.P. You can still enter all buildings except where an FD office is located.

Smokeeater 38
06-26-2005, 15:49
Does anyone have a SOP or SOG about carrying while on duty as a Firefighter?

My department is looking for one that says you can and when you should. We have 5 members that are medics for the Sheriffs Department SRT team (SWAT by another name).

I have already ended up on the front page of two papers working on a subject that was shot by a police officer with my Glock on my hip. The Fire Chief working on the guy with me and was glad to know that I had my Glock 17. All but one of us had our vests on as well.

Thanks,

Ray

Slinger646
06-26-2005, 16:25
We dont have an official SOP, But if you're LEO and you are carrying your off duty gun, then dont flaunt it and everything is cool.

DCSO0322
06-27-2005, 22:31
Our department states the only time any firearms are to be in the building is when an on duty LEO is in the building. IF you are off duty LEO it's to stay in your vehicle. Guess they figure just keep them all out and you don't have to worry about accidents in the station.

Squadman
06-29-2005, 20:57
Our department states the only time any firearms are to be in the building is when an on duty LEO is in the building. IF you are off duty LEO it's to stay in your vehicle. Guess they figure just keep them all out and you don't have to worry about accidents in the station.

The only ones not allowed to have a weapon are firefighters since it is linked to our SOP, anyone else can carry in any station. Vulnerable, you bet ya.

pmed23
06-30-2005, 04:40
Our city made a policy of no firearms on city property after one of our idiot volunteers made a big deal of having a pistol on him on a call. Before that we could all bring whatever into the FD ot show off but he ruined it for all of us. Thank God he quit, guy was a moron. Have you ever been around anyone that you thought should not have a permit because you felt he was wanting to shoot someone? He's that guy

Squadman
06-30-2005, 22:24
We are in the touchy feely phase, so when another FF was offended because a hunting rifle was brought in, all was punished. The power of one and the silent majority:soap:

Random
07-02-2005, 18:09
We are in an area that can get pretty dangerous at times, so of course, we are not allowed to carry firearms on FD property. If you have a knife that's "too big" and a jerk captain (which I do) you may find yourself answering for that too. Sucks on those calls where the scene is unsafe so you lay back but get spotted. The neighborhood, and sometimes the scene, will come to you.
We've had firefighters wake up at the house to find guys standing there trying to steal the televisions before. Guess it'll take a couple deaths for it to matter.

Nozzlejunkie
07-13-2005, 11:16
The dept. I work for is in a special tax district. There really are no rules about it. One of the commissioners made a stink about a volunteer that was a LEO carry when he was off duty because he worked in a different town than the fire dept. was in. Not a whole lot is said the Chief knows we have guns in are trucks. We showed a couple of deputys that we were armed better than they were.

Mr. Ajax
08-03-2005, 09:11
we have a no firearms policy but it's really just a way to bust someone if they do somthing stupid. dont ask, they dont want to know deal. they wont hunt you down, just dont be obvious.

Squadman
08-09-2005, 20:42
Not attracting any attention is the best policy. Our department punishes all for the mistake of one.

Join the Long Slide Group (http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407655) .