Rabbit Hunt 2005 Report! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Hunt 2005 Report!

Michigun
02-15-2005, 11:14
4 friends & myself did a little rabbit hunting a few Saturdays back… I just downloaded the pictures & figured I’d share.

In 5 hours total of hunting & we were able to bring in 19 cottontails!

Firearms Used = 2 shotguns & 3 handguns (1 of those 3 was a single-shot .410 T/C Contender)

(only 15 rabbits are pictured because 4 went home early with a friend)

noway
02-15-2005, 11:40
Very nice, I'm assuming you ran the beagle on all of these rabbits?
What gauge shotgun and load did you use?

If you need help cooking or eating them, let me know
;f

f1b32oPTic
02-15-2005, 12:04
now thats a good day in the field!;Y

Michigun
02-15-2005, 12:49
Originally posted by noway
Very nice, I'm assuming you ran the beagle on all of these rabbits?
What gauge shotgun and load did you use?

If you need help cooking or eating them, let me know
;f

Yup, the beagles were the runners all day.

I'll admit ;J I was one of the shotgunners that day & used my Beretta 390 12-gauge... ammo was Federal's #4 "PREMIUM WING*SHOK HIGH VELOCITY -- PHEASANT".

The other shotgunner that day was using a Remington 1100 12-gauge loaded with Fiocchi's #4 "GOLDEN PHEASANT".

Sorry my man, rabbits are all gone already. ;f

Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
now thats a good day in the field!;Y

It compared VERY nicely to the day, a few years back now, that we took 16 rabbits in the 1st 2 hours of the day! (It was a madhouse! The place hadn’t been rabbit hunted in over 10 years & it showed… can you say overpopulated?)

jjrobo
02-15-2005, 21:32
The rabbits were out sunning themselves this last saturday. I jumped a lot of them, but my old beagle isn't up to running them very far any more. Guess it's time to get another so she can teach it the ropes.

jjrobo

Mud
02-15-2005, 22:19
i need a dawg man i can spend 2 or 3 hours beating the brush in the swamp and not even see a rabbit

Michigun
02-16-2005, 04:38
Originally posted by jjrobo
... my old beagle isn't up to running them very far any more. Guess it's time to get another so she can teach it the ropes.

You're on the right track now! (pun intended ;))

Originally posted by Mud
i need a dawg man i can spend 2 or 3 hours beating the brush in the swamp and not even see a rabbit

I'm probably spoiled, but I won't even give rabbit hunting a single thought without a dog, or 3, anymore... same goes for upland bird hunting.

noway
02-16-2005, 07:15
same down here, beat the brush or walk the cover edges can drag up a wabbit but it is hard and alot of luck. Ocassionaly you catch a cottontail or swamp rabbit off guard and get him.

I can only dream of getting 19rabbits in one day without a dog. Rabbit is definetly good hunting and good eatin. Here you get more coons than rabbit so it equals out for me. ;)

branden
02-16-2005, 13:47
Shot 5 this past weekend. 1 with my Ruger 10/22 on the run. The other with my old youth 870 20 gauge. He was still tryin to run so I pulled my G17 and at 15 yards put one through his head. I was more proud of that shot than anything. My buddy shot the other 3 with a new Winchester Ranger 12 gauge.

I have noticed alot of people using 12s loaded with high velocity 4s. That is crazy. All of our shots have been within 30 yards and they still blow up. And my buddys using 7 1/2 shot. My 20 gauge didnt do too much damage at all.

Either way, This was my first year rabbit hunting and Id have to say its now one of my favorites. Its so exciting. We actually love to miss because they are so fun to shoot at when they are zig zagging and on the move.

Good Hunting to all, and good luck.:)

Michigun
02-16-2005, 18:10
Originally posted by branden
... This was my first year rabbit hunting...

Didn't need to type the above as it was obvious when ya typed the following:

I have noticed alot of people using 12s loaded with high velocity 4s. That is crazy. All of our shots have been within 30 yards and they still blow up. And my buddys using 7 1/2 shot.

^c

branden
02-16-2005, 19:12
Whats that suppposed to mean? Ive gun and bow hunted all my life.Just never rabbits. I assumed something like a 4 shot would ruin meat. Because our 7 1/2 shot does sometimes. No need to make me feel stupid.;)

CanyonMan
02-16-2005, 20:40
Very nice haul MG. Love them Beagles!

I hate to be a party pooper, but i think "Noway" can even varify this, ( I.E. the ammount of rabbits), here in this part of W. Tx. The rabbits are shot off the front porch! ;f

Man these little bunny's are all over the place, that is the only reason we never got a wabbit dog.

BUT...Michigun, i have hunted the way you guys are now, when i was in Oklahoma, and, 'with the beagels,' it was 'much more fun,' than the "fish in a barrel, type hunt here."

You really would not believe the ammount of bunny's running around the yard, and a walk behind the ranch house to the canyon rim, man, cajillions of them!

But again, i like 'your way' of hunting them much better, you really 'did great' there, and 'good looking dogs', as well my friend!

Have a rabbit wing for me! (sorta like a buffalo wing with fur) :)

CanyonMan

Michigun
02-17-2005, 05:48
Whats that suppposed to mean? Ive gun and bow hunted all my life.Just never rabbits. No need to make me feel stupid.;)

Sorry man, it was just a 'poke' that I shouldn't have taken. ;Y

I assumed something like a 4 shot would ruin meat. Because our 7 1/2 shot does sometimes.

There are 350 pellets per oz in 7-1/2 shot... there are only 135 pellets per oz in 4 shot... less shot, less of a mess! ^c We mainly use #4's because they bull through the brush a little better then the smaller shot does. We also go right from thick brush to open fields which often requires longer shots... #4's are better at the longer stuff.

Sorry once again for the 'poke'!

Thanks CanyonMan! ^c

noway
02-17-2005, 08:07
Same here , I used #4 or #5 1.125oz loads if I handload shells and #6 steel if I buy shells. You shoot a rabbit at 30yrds, trust me you are not going to blow up a rabbit. You might be lucky to get more than 3-5 shot in the rabbit at that distance if it was running. People make the shotgun tobe more destructive than what it really is.

{I hate to be a party pooper, but i think "Noway" can even varify this, ( I.E. the ammount of rabbits), here in this part of W. Tx. The rabbits are shot off the front porch!}

Not only do TX has a rabbit overpopluation, we have rabbit bitting the hog and chicken wire around the garden fence now try to get the vegs. My mom plant veggies awhile back when they1st moved into their new ranch house and the rabbits got crazy fat till the fencing when up. ;f

They have a cat that outside along with 2 other feral cats and they do a good job keeping the population down. Here in sunny florida, it is not the same, too many ground predators. I probably killed more rabbits at 04:00 driving to my hunting grounds.

branden
02-17-2005, 12:47
Originally posted by Michigun
Sorry man, it was just a 'poke' that I shouldn't have taken. ;Y

There are 350 pellets per oz in 7-1/2 shot... there are only 135 pellets per oz in 4 shot... less shot, less of a mess! ^c We mainly use #4's because they bull through the brush a little better then the smaller shot does. We also go right from thick brush to open fields which often requires longer shots... #4's are better at the longer stuff.

Sorry once again for the 'poke'!

Thanks CanyonMan! ^c

No offense taken. Actually thank you, I just learned something I hadnt thought about in the past. Good Huntin Guys ;a

CanyonMan
02-17-2005, 13:01
Thanks CanyonMan!

Your welcome, Branden!

But what did i do? ;f

CanyonMan

Michigun
02-17-2005, 13:56
Originally posted by CanyonMan
Your welcome, Branden!

But what did i do? ;f

I said that, not Branden. ^c

CanyonMan
02-17-2005, 17:39
Well, there's nothing like an evening of confusion! ;g

Your welcome man! Sorry about that! I don't think my head has caught up to the rest of me today! ;f

You make me want some more beagle pups... I just got a chocolate Lab pup, he is 10 wks. now, but he is looking real good. I think he is going to be a good hunter, (if i don't spoil him to pieces as a house dog!) ;)

Later!

CanyonMan

lomfs24
02-17-2005, 23:41
I hit one going 55 mph in a van with the headlights on and the horn blowing!!!

Sorry couldn't help that one. I just got done watching the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.

nyredneck
02-18-2005, 16:11
I shoot them in my back yard with my 760 Pumpmaster! To make it feel more like a shotgun, i load 2 BB's into it and pump it up 11 times! I've taken about 6 garden marauders out this way! I have hunted with a friend and his beagle and it was a blast! Good huntin!;f

USPcompact
02-18-2005, 17:28
Oh, you evil people! How dare you use dogs to kill a little ol' wabbit! You should make it more sporting, and hunt with a pellet rifle while on your knees!

And I bet that picture was photoshopped!

;f

wonderwolf
03-02-2005, 07:56
I hunted all season east of where I live here in ohio. Its my faimly farm land and there is a few acres of nice land for rabbits, I use #6 shot and I will never use anything else. One shot kills %100 of the time. I use a "combat" shotgun I bought a while ago. I only saw and killed 4 thumpers this year. so I have 21 shots for next year I guess.