Men at the range ... anyone else run into this? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Men at the range ... anyone else run into this?

MrsKey
02-16-2005, 15:31
This isn't the only example of this but it is the best ...

Several months ago I went to a range that I don't usually go to. I went specifically because this range has a large number of rental guns. I was particularly interested in firing the Glock 21 (.45 ACP) because my husband was considering buying one.

I walk into the range, fill out the necessary paperwork, go over the range rules, etc. So far so good.

Then I ask to rent the Glock 21.

The kid (and I do mean kid, if he was older than 21 I'd be shocked) looks at me and say, with a straight face, "That's a lot of gun, little lady. Are you sure you can handle it?"

Now - Let me let you all in on a small secret. I am 5'8" tall (about his height) and I weigh close to 300 pounds (about twice what he weighs) and he's calling me "little lady"?!?!

I assured him that I've been shooting longer than he's been alive and yes I can indeed handle the weapon.

So I take the gun and 50 rounds of ammo and I shred some targets.

The groupings were a little looser than with a gun I am familiar with - but the targets were all respectably dead.

So I return the gun and the same little snot says, "So, did you manage to hit anything?"

At which point I show him three targets with the X-rings blown out and two with the heads nothing more than a big empty space and said, "I don't know, kid. Why don't you tell me if I hit anything."

Needless to say I haven't been back to that range since.

But I was just wondering if any of the other ladies here have been on the receiving end of the condescending "Guns are for Guys" mentality.

steveinpa
02-16-2005, 15:38
Us Men usually share words to ourselves similiar to the way he was talking to you. Kinda like a "step up and show me what ya got" kinda way. Maybe he was actually treating you the same way he would have treated another guy.....or maybe not

Bottom line is you showed him and the next time (if you do) go back he might show you the respect you deserved and earned.

mmc45414
02-16-2005, 15:41
Well, I am in sales (as is this kid, even if he doesn't know it) and it is just an example of somebody doing a crappy job. Some people build themselves up by trying to act superior to others. Just write him off as the presumptuous damb***** he is.

MrsKey
02-16-2005, 15:46
Originally posted by mmc45414
Just write him off as the presumptuous damb***** he is.

That I did! :D

But I do seem to get treated differently at the range (or at some ranges) than my husband does.

No one seems particularly surprised when he blows the x-ring away with the SA 1911 - but when I do it eyebrows are raised.

Most of the time it just amuses me a little bit. But I have to admit that the "little lady" comment almost made me laugh for days! My husband will still tease me about it on ocassion - but I just take him to the range and outshoot him and that puts him in the properly humble frame of mind. ;)

That one encounter did show me what I'd really love to have the money to do. Open a gun range and shop and train and hire knowledgeable women to work there (not just women of course) but I think a range with a female instructor or two and a gun shop with a knowledgeable female staff could be a good thing.

Maybe it would get me women interested in shooting ...

BruderGlock
02-16-2005, 15:49
Originally posted by MrsKey
..."That's a lot of gun, little lady. Are you sure you can handle it?"
Now - Let me let you all in on a small secret. I am 5'8" tall (about his height) and I weigh close to 300 pounds (about twice what he weighs) and he's calling me "little lady"?!?!...

Ma'am, in my humble opinion, you should have reached over the counter and slapped the fool out of that boy;P .

MrsKey
02-16-2005, 16:03
Originally posted by BruderGlock
Ma'am, in my humble opinion, you should have reached over the counter and slapped the fool out of that boy;P .

;z

You are quite probably right.

But there was something really satisfying about watching his jaw drop and his shoulders slump when I showed him my targets.

ThreadKiller
02-16-2005, 17:05
Classic!! Couldn't have been scripted better. Needless to say, you showed way more class than exhibited by the young lad.

Hopefully he will learn something from this experience and grow up to be a real man.

Good shootin'!

Tim

Cat91
02-16-2005, 17:23
I've seen that. Last time we went to the range.

All the range heroes were plinkin' away with their 9mms and .40 S&W's. Hubby has a 9mm Steyr M9. I'm watching him shoot and he's doing great. Then it's my turn.

I pull out MY purse-gun. The 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson 686-6.

I pop a seven-round HKS speedloader of full-power 125 grain .357s into it and assume the old Weaver-style stance that I picked up in school way back. Two well-spaced rounds to get the feel. Then I double tap in the next four, and stop to look, then thumb back the hammer to put the seventh into the ten ring from 25 feet.

It was then I noticed that no one else was shooting. I looked around, and hubby was trying to hide a laugh...and every guy in the place was staring open-mouthed.

A woman owns that gun shop and range, by the way ;)

;a ;f

Miao, Cat

pete1953
02-16-2005, 22:23
I remember the day my wife was taking her qualifier to be able to shoot unsupervised at the gun club we belong to (Falls Township Rifle and Pistol in PA). To be range qualified a person had to shoot both rifle and handgun at a specific target at 50 feet, show competance in gun handling and pass a firearms questionare. My wife stands ~5'2" and as a result, I had purchased a youth sized rifle as it fit her better. There were about 12 taking the qualifications that day, but two "macho" idiots made fun of my wife's little rifle. Well she had the highest score on the written and shot better than almost everyone there. Those two "macho" idiots did not pass. I was so proud of her that day! I am every day in so many ways! My wife has taken one combat handgun class, has her license to carry, and is ready and willing to back me up or defend me and our childernif ever needed. My two daughters 16 and 12 shoot Junior rifle and in fact I brought my 12 year old shooting with me today. She shot mostly a size appropriate 22 cal Chipmonk, but also my 6" S&W Model 17 22 cal revolver and Ruger SP101 with 38+p hollowpoints. Not ready for a 45 but she does shoot the 22 cal conversion on my Commander. All are very outspoken on women's (as well as men's) right to self defense with a firearm. No sheep in our family!

MrsKey
02-17-2005, 06:28
ThreadKiller -

Many thanks, sir.

Cat91 -

Don't you just love those looks! Last time we were at our favourite range I was in the booth next to a young hot head doing speed firing drills.

The only problem is that he was shooting at 25 ft and not hitting a blessed thing.

I was doing close shooting drill that day with my new carry gun - so everything was 3 - 5 yards. And my daughter (sharing the lane with me) was using her Ruger 22/45 at the same distance.

After he noticed he was being out shot by an 8 year-old girl he moved his target in closer and started slowing down a little - but he still wasn't hitting the target.

Pete -

Congrats to your wife! I think it is awesome, too, that your girls are avid shooters! Way to go!

Vic303
02-17-2005, 08:09
Mrs Key, no I've never gotten that treatment at the range, but then I usually tote in enough firearms for a platoon, so it's obvious I have some experience...however, I can relate that I WAS offered a chance to buy a pink pearly handled .25auto by an unwitting gundealer at a gunshow, who didn't recognize me! My husband still teases me about that!;P
--Vicky

SouthernGal
02-17-2005, 08:26
The day I bought my G19 the owner of the store was filling out the paperwork when some other guy working there butted in with commentary similar to what you describe.

I looked at him and told him I had carried in TN since 1999 before moving to MS and that he could talk to Chris Fowler in Millington about how I did on my range test. (NOTE TO READERS: There are only about 3 places you can take the permit test in the Memphis Metro Area).

Thus ended the discussion.

Melissa Ann
02-17-2005, 08:46
I can't recall ever being treated like that - IRL. On the internet tho... lots of menfolk assume that since we're girls, we don't have a clue about guns. I know I've taken more firearms classes than a lot of the guys I know on the net, cuz most of them don't think training is necessary. "Only LE should be that good with a firearm." I was actually told that! Kinda funny. But no one's ever questioned me or been condescending to me in real life.

Glockgirl26
02-17-2005, 08:51
I was at the range with Multi-G while he was shooting an IDPA match one time. I was still in Physical Therapy for upper back and shoulder problems, and had been advised by the therapists to avoid shooting until I was in less pain. I came to the range to watch and see what IDPA is about. I heard a couple of semi-sarcastic remarks from some of the guys there. One of them jokingly asked me where my gun was, and I told him completely honestly that I left it in the car cause IDPA said it should be a cold range. Another guy assumed I was a non-shooter and said so. I said, "I'm a cop. I shoot." There was a lady there competing in the match, so we eventually engaged in conversation about guns, and the guys shut up.;f

ThreadKiller
02-17-2005, 09:12
Originally posted by pete1953
There were about 12 taking the qualifications that day, but two "macho" idiots made fun of my wife's little rifle. Well she had the highest score on the written and shot better than almost everyone there. Those two "macho" idiots did not pass. I was so proud of her that day! I am every day in so many ways!

;z I love it! My wife did not come from a shooting background at all but since marrying me 20 years ago, I've managed to corrupt her. Dang if that woman can't shoot! She handles a .22 and a 12 gauge pretty fair but we're still working on her pistol skills. I have to admit her coach has slowed her down some, but he's learning! :)

Tim

lethal tupperwa
02-17-2005, 09:24
I have seen guys stop their "conservations" when they see that her group is better than theirs.

The day she was shooting the kids Bushy was fun to watch.

vote Republican
02-17-2005, 15:08
Wimmins are allowed to shoot? Who started THAT????

^8

just kidding... ;e

the Mrs. (she doesn't like this pic, but I do :cool: )
http://members.aol.com/keepandbear/sharon-snc.jpg

HandyMan Hugh
02-17-2005, 15:18
Hiya VR.

Great Picture. Mrs. VR is a lovely lady with a million dollar smile. That target ain't too shabby either! ;f ;f ;f

Melissa Ann
02-17-2005, 15:33
That's a great pic of Mrs. VR and great job shooting! Wish I was as photogenic.

Soldat
02-17-2005, 15:45
The Mrs. dosen't shoot bad from 3yrds.;f

The first time I took my AR-15 out to the range my wife outshot me and her brother with it. She also likes to punch out x rings with my GP100. Good think we don't fight or I might have to hide the guns.^3

Cat91
02-17-2005, 16:56
Mrs. Key-

;f That's too funny. I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that!

Mrs VR-

Another redhead! Ha! I knew it!

Miao, Cat (also red on the head ;) )

c-mama
02-18-2005, 10:05
Carole,

I have never gotten treated like that at the range. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think it's more likely the "punk" is just that way all the time. I wouldn't worry about it.

The last time I went shooting, the range officer came up to me and told me he was impressed by my shooting. I don't often see women where we shoot, but the guys there don't act as if me being there as strange.

Hauptmann6
02-18-2005, 10:38
Originally posted by vote Republican

the Mrs. (she doesn't like this pic, but I do :cool: )
http://members.aol.com/keepandbear/sharon-snc.jpg

It's a cute pic!

I just need to get the g/f back to the range(lack of time)