Concealed became REVEALED [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed became REVEALED

Mickmedic
02-17-2005, 12:52
HIPPA Notice: The following info was broadcast on the 11pm news and is therefore in the public domain.
An employee of our local Wal-Mart suffered serious, but non-life threatening, burns from hot grease to upper portions of his body.

Now...how me and my gun became involved.
Im a paramedic (as if the name didnt give it away). ;f
I do have my CCW, but it is against departmental policy to carry while on duty.
I was off duty at the time. I had dropped my wife off at Wal-Mart to do some shopping, and I drove across the street to BlockBuster for some evening entertainment. Ironically, I passed one of our EMS crews on their way to dinner and called to chat briefly. Moments later, my wife called me and said someone had been badly burned at the Wal-Mart. I jumped in my truck...headed back over...called the crew and told them to meet me on scene.
I got there first, grabbed my jumpbag, ran inside and began assessing and treating the patient who was lying on the floor. While moving back and forth around the patient, I became keenly aware that my jacket had ridden up and was stuck above my G17 in my Uncle Mike's OWB holster. Of course there were several Wal-Mart managers and employees standing around taking in all that was going on. I continued to work on the patient, and nonchalantly pulled my jacket back down...a process I had to repeat a couple more times.
Anyway, the crew arrived, we packaged the patient up and had him airlifted to the Burn Center. The last I heard, he was doing well.
Nothing was ever said about my gun. I dont know if they were so focused on the patient that they honestly didnt notice it, were afraid to comment, or just thought all medics carry. (wouldnt THAT be great).
Just thought Id share.:cool:

Rob72
02-17-2005, 13:00
The old truism: " If you act like you have the right, you will....".;f As a PIC (Person In Charge) you probably could have walked in with tactical vest, 14" bowie, Surefire Beast, and whipped out a Microtech HALO to cut your tape with, and they would just stare in awe!;P

jlw_84
02-17-2005, 14:19
A frustrated looking man with a clipboard can go anyhere he wants.

Thats pretty much what this situation was, they didn't know if you were a cop, medic, soccor dad, or a mall ninja, nor did they care, you had the equiptment and seemed to know what you were doing, so they ain't going to interfere.

I've found myself in a similar situation, somebody went down at the mall. I'm there with the GF and I was just wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, nothing marked EMT or anything, and I just started barking orders at people to move, call 911, etc etc, and of which everybody did without hesitation or question.

hotpig
02-17-2005, 15:52
You guys are making me feel bad. I would have not got involved unless someone recognized me.

jlw_84
02-17-2005, 15:54
Originally posted by hotpig
You guys are making me feel bad. I would have not got involved unless someone recognized me.

Been there done that too. I usually dont get involved, but back when I was a "rescue randy" straight out of EMT-B Class, I was quick to jump in whatever I could.

Mickmedic
02-17-2005, 16:42
What do you call an off-duty paramedic at a wreck scene....
a BYSTANDER !

Ive been at this for over 10 years. I work it, teach it, and volunteer it. Im long past my Rescue Randy days.
However, if it's something serious, and sometimes even if it's not, I still feel oblidged to help where I can.
Plus the fact my wife called me to the scene. She's a red head....you think Im REALLY gonna say no to her? ;f

Brian Dover
02-18-2005, 08:44
Sounds like somebody needs to think about a longer jacket..or maybe those are called "coats".:)

Mickmedic
02-18-2005, 10:59
Actually it was a leather coat, which is usually plenty long enough
when Im stading upright, or sitting.
It was just when I was bent over the patient, and contorting myself
to assess from head to toe, that I had the problem.
But thanks for the input.:cool:

DepChief
02-19-2005, 10:06
Originally posted by Mickmedic
[

or just thought all medics carry. (wouldnt THAT be great).
Just thought Id share.:cool: [/B]

In a perfect world.......

Tvov
02-21-2005, 22:55
Originally posted by jlw_84
A frustrated looking man with a clipboard can go anyhere he wants.

;z

Slinger646
02-21-2005, 23:55
Somewhat off topic, but i carry MK III OC spray when on duty, mainly for vicious dogs.....and chilli.

ff19106
02-25-2005, 02:43
First and foremost you are a citizen and enjoy the right to carry!

Second you are a person with skills that will enable you to intervene in the untimely event of Murphy's Law being enacted on another individual!

Third when you are off duty you are a citizen / Responder and may at times cross boundaries in order to provide care!

No harm no foul!

Mickmedic
02-25-2005, 08:52
Thanks everyone for all of the kind words of encouragement.

sudboy
03-04-2005, 14:46
We get called to the McDonald's in our local Wal-Mart all the time for chest pains or breathing difficulties. I shop at said Wal-Mart, and I am usually carrying when I'm not at my real job or at the station. So I know one of these days the pager is gonna go off while I'm shopping for breakfast cereal, cold cuts, and carrying a concealed pistola.

I'll do what I can to help, but as I don't carry gloves or any other PPE with me I will probably go collect patient info until our paid guys arrive.

Sudboy

jim2037
03-19-2005, 17:16
Originally posted by Mickmedic
What do you call an off-duty paramedic at a wreck scene....
a BYSTANDER !

Ive been at this for over 10 years. I work it, teach it, and volunteer it. Im long past my Rescue Randy days.
However, if it's something serious, and sometimes even if it's not, I still feel oblidged to help where I can.
Plus the fact my wife called me to the scene. She's a red head....you think Im REALLY gonna say no to her? ;f

Amen! I get enough paramedicing at work without falling all over all the other Ricky Rescues at a wreck scene