Roll Me Over (WWII Non-Fiction) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Roll Me Over (WWII Non-Fiction)

nerfman
02-18-2005, 18:08
Roll Me Over - An Infantryman's World War II
By Raymond Gantter

I read a lot of first-person WWII narratives and rarely do I find one both interesting and this well written. Mass market paperback published by Ivy.

03-11-2005, 10:23
"First Flight" by Geoffrey Wellham is fantastic. It's the true story about his time as a RAF fighter pilot in WWII, but mostly including "The Battle of Britain" and how we won the air war against Germany (pre 1942 of course...);f

Historian
03-11-2005, 22:34
Originally posted by nerfman
Roll Me Over - An Infantryman's World War II
By Raymond Gantter

I read a lot of first-person WWII narratives and rarely do I find one both interesting and this well written. Mass market paperback published by Ivy.

Yeah. I love history books...especially World War Two history books.
At last count I was just over 200 in this area.

Roll me Over is one of the best 1st person accounts of the war I've ever read. It was really well done. The man who wrote it clearly spent a lot of time crafting his words.

nerfman
03-12-2005, 17:39
Limeycop - You have no doubt read The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary. A great read. Flying Start by Hugh Dundas is another favorite in that vein.

Historian - Find a copy of Serenade To The Big Bird by Bert Stiles. You will not be disappointed.

Historian
03-12-2005, 22:11

Historian - Find a copy of Serenade To The Big Bird by Bert Stiles. You will not be disappointed. [/B]

Wow! I've been on a couple of B17s and they are much smaller than a person would think they are. In fact, one of my first dates with my wife was on one.

The book is on the way. Bomber Pilot: A Memoir of World War II
by Philip Ardery is another great read in this area of history.

And of course any of the books by Donald Burgett...I liked them so much I've read them three times. George Wilson's If you Survive is great as well.

nerfman
03-20-2005, 17:48
I am not familiar with the Ardery book. Thanks for the lead.

I've read a couple of Burgett's books, most notably Currahee! Very good. As was If You Survive...he got that promotion, of course. ;)

One book I've been looking for but cannot find is Steinbeck's Bombs Away: The Story Of A Bomber Team, done when he was a WWII correspondent. One dealer told me "Good luck". I don't guess many were printed.

Historian
03-20-2005, 21:45

One book I've been looking for but cannot find is Steinbeck's Bombs Away: The Story Of A Bomber Team, done when he was a WWII correspondent. One dealer told me "Good luck". I don't guess many were printed.

Nerf,

The internet is a bibliophiles wonderland.

A quick search of Amazon.com shows five copies of this work by Steinbeck...one of them in very good shape...and a first edition. Prices start at $40 and go as high as $100.

Looks like an interesting book.