.40 sw suitable for deer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .40 sw suitable for deer?

el_jewapo
02-20-2005, 00:34
i got my first glock yesterday, a model 22 and i love it.

i can't imagine i will ever use it for deer hunting, but it is legal for deer in my state based on barrel length.

i'll be sticking with my 7mm mag or bow for the most part, but i'd like to know if i have the option to take a deer efficiently with my glock 22?

Soldat
02-20-2005, 00:41
Nope, 10mm is a much stronger round and it's only marginal for taking deer sized game. Maby as a finishing shot to put the deer down after you've wounded it, but definatly not as a primary hunting gun.

Minuteman
02-20-2005, 01:14
The .40 is fine for deer.

The bigger issue is the pistol. Most people would not feel confident of a clean kill with an pistol of that size, beyond about 25 feet.

The .40 from a ruger carbine, no doubt. I don't think I would choose it, for survival sure, but not for sport.
Others may disagree.

;?

isp2605
02-20-2005, 07:53
What's your state laws say about the .40?
In IL neither the .40 nor the Glock 22 would be legal for deer. The round has to produce 500 ft/lbs of energy in a factory load and can't use a semi-auto handgun.
Other states may have other restrictions so you need to check for those.

el_jewapo
02-20-2005, 09:23
Originally posted by isp2605
What's your state laws say about the .40?

all it says in the guide book is that a hand gun has to have atleast a 4" barrel. both semi auto and revolvers. the only thing it says about caliber is no rimfire.

akbound
02-20-2005, 11:02
Without knowing what state you are talking about it's going to be impossible to give you any kind of an informed answer. Your state probably has an online resource at your Fish & Game (Department of Natural Resources, DNR, or whatever it goes by in your state) where you can get a more definitive answer.

Failing in that, you should be able to call your state DNR and receive an answer. (Just make sure you document with whom you spoke, and when.) Better yet, if possible get a hard copy of said regulation(s).

Dave

P.S. As to your question of suitability. The .40 S&W would be a very marginal cartridge. Under the best of conditions, with very careful use, at close range, it will work. But it is certainly not going to provide any leeway for marginal hits. Like Minuteman, I don't think I'd use it for normal sport hunting for deer. But under survival situations I wouldn't hesitate. (And I own a Ruger PC4GR.)

AR15'em
02-20-2005, 14:37
P.S. As to your question of suitability. The .40 S&W would be a very marginal cartridge. Under the best of conditions, with very careful use, at close range, it will work. But it is certainly not going to provide any leeway for marginal hits. Like Minuteman, I don't think I'd use it for normal sport hunting for deer. But under survival situations I wouldn't hesitate. (And I own a Ruger PC4GR.)

This pretty much says it all!

vafish
02-20-2005, 21:47
I'd say it also depends upon the size of your deer.

Here in Virginia I've seen anterless deer that weighted less than 50 lbs field dressed. Inside 25 yards on a small deer like that with a 180gr JHP I'd take the shot. I think the .40 would do just fine.

On a larger doe or buck past 25 yards, nope.

VA only requires handgun to be at least .23 Calilber and more than 350 Ft Lbs of muzzle energy. IIRC there are some 9mm loads that make that.

chuck71403
02-20-2005, 21:52
If you are accurate with the .40 at the same ranges then it would be plenty of gun with good shot placement.Down here people illegally take deer with .22 quite often.

chuck71403
02-20-2005, 21:53
I meant at the same ranges you would use your bow.

Michigun
02-21-2005, 12:36
Kept at bow ranges it would be fine… even with the large whitetails here in Michigan.

SDGlock23
02-22-2005, 01:21
A 40 will do it's job but the biggest issue with using one for deer hunting would be the short sight radius; pretty much not being able to hit accurately unless it's rather close. The Ruger PC4 carbine would be preferred over a pistol for that reason alone. Don't believe crap about it not being powerful enough to take one cleanly.

ILikeFtLbs
02-22-2005, 12:36
I've done it, and I can tell you this: with a good hit, expect to track the deer 80 yards or more with very little blood. Whatever you do, aim for the lungs.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-23-2005, 10:35
Originally posted by ILikeFtLbs
I've done it, and I can tell you this: with a good hit, expect to track the deer 80 yards or more with very little blood. Whatever you do, aim for the lungs.

I have not used a .40, but this sounds about right to me.

Use a bow hunting mindset. Wait 20 minutes before tracking. Keep shots inside 25 yards if possible. Only shoot as far as you can hit an 8" pie plate all the time with off-hand shots. Wait for a nice sleepy heart-lung broadside shot.

Do not miss your shot. Do not wound the deer.

Big_Jim
02-24-2005, 11:13
I did it. Aimed for the chest and hit a bit high. Took out the spine and the deer dropped on the spot. It was a matter of opportunity but, I would do it again. I have confidence in the 40 at close range. As a primary? No. But the G22 make a great secondary.

vafish
02-24-2005, 21:05
Originally posted by ILikeFtLbs

I've heat shot deer with a .44 magnum that ran that far or further. A deer can cover 80 yards in a few seconds. That's still a pretty quick stop.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-26-2005, 16:16
The .40 Smith & Wesson comes pretty close to the .38 WCF (.38-40) cartridge in performance. The old .38 WCF was used to kill alot of deer when chambered in a Winchester rifle, a .40 S&W cartridge chambered in a Ruger carbine will be fine.

MikeG22
02-27-2005, 00:49
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
Wait 20 minutes before tracking.

Why would you wait 20 minutes before tracking it?

Poohgyrr
02-27-2005, 01:08
Back in the 1960's, before 7-11s and grocery stores on every corner, an old family friend used to harvest our coastal deer with a .38 Special. Accuracy is a key thing here; he knew his limitations and obeyed them.

The 9X19 is legal in some states today, and works for appropriate sized deer.

:cool:

Michigun
02-27-2005, 16:30
Originally posted by Poohgyrr
The 9X19 is legal in some states today...

Yup, it's legal here in Michigan.

el_jewapo
02-27-2005, 19:51
Originally posted by MikeG22
Why would you wait 20 minutes before tracking it?

it's a good idea to wait 20 minutes or so before tracking a deer no matter what you shot it with. deer will usually only run 100 yards or so and lay down after being shot. if the deer isn't hit well and you jump it up you stand a good chance of losing it. if you wait, it will usually lay there and die.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-28-2005, 12:19
Originally posted by el_jewapo
it's a good idea to wait 20 minutes or so before tracking a deer no matter what you shot it with. deer will usually only run 100 yards or so and lay down after being shot. if the deer isn't hit well and you jump it up you stand a good chance of losing it. if you wait, it will usually lay there and die.

Exactly.

No sense pushing the deer into the next county. This strategy of waiting is common with bowhunters. The arrow will often make cuts to bleed the deer to death, but not drop them on the spot. After the shot, you want to be as quiet as possible, don't move, wait 20 minutes, look at your watch, take note of where the deer was when you shot and where the deer ran to and was last seen. Make a good mental note, looking at markers such as trees, as to where those spots are. After 20 minutes, slowly, quietly, go to the spot of the hit and look for blood, hair, the arrow, and the tracks. Slowly track the deer taking note of any blood or hair along the way.

Gun hunters should use this same approach if the deer doesn't drop on the spot.