EMT skills in your state [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : EMT skills in your state

nmg1348
02-20-2005, 15:52
What are the different skills in your state for the different levels of emt. In New York it is as follows:

EMT-BASIC, just like it sounds, oxygen therapy and insta-glucose, assisted epi-pen, and nitro, and defib.

EMT-INTERMEDIATE. Basic skills plus IV therapy with Normal Saline and D10 (i think) and ET tubes.

EMT-CC. Basic drugs, advanced IV and cardiac care

EMT-P. National standard paramedic skills.

Typical NY, my girlfriend recently completed the Paramedic program in PA, and took the National registry test. Upon passing the national registry, NY will not reciprocate the National registry card to a NY EMT-P. She will have to get her PA EMT-P then reciprocate that. Otherwise NT will allow her to sit for the refresher and challenge the test, all for a fee of course.

Squid.HM2
02-20-2005, 16:46
doesn't NY have a EMT-D also?

lomfs24
02-22-2005, 11:19
In Montana the steps are

First Responder - They can pretty much assess a pt. and they can do bandaging and so on. They cannot give O2, C-Spine collar, or back board nor can they transport. They can give CPR and use an AED.

EMT-B - Much the same as your state, They can C-Spine with a collar, back board, give O2, Activated Charcoal and Glucose without medical direction and they can assist with Nitro, Inhalers and Epi-pens with medical control direction.

EMT-I Same as your state.

And EMT-P Same as your state.

There are, however, state recognized modules that bridge the gap between First Responder and EMT-B and modules that bridge the gap between EMT-B and EMT-P. EMT-I, while available in this state, are not very common. Usually an EMT-B will take modules to bring their skills up and then do the EMT-P course.

DK13
02-24-2005, 18:20
Thats pretty much the same for IL, however due to my location we can admin most of the drugs without medical direction. And technically the b's go by EMT-BD (the d is just for defibulator)

vbscout
02-25-2005, 00:51
In Virginia we have five different levels:

First Responder: assist EMT-Basic

EMT- Basic: same as everyone else assist with eppi, nitro, ect.

EMT- Enhance/ Shock Trauma they cab do IV, ET- tubes, some IV meds like D-50 Eppie, Narcan, stuff like that.

EMT- Intermediate: National Registry

EMT- Paramedic: National Registry

That is all we have here in Virginia

:cool:

DaleGribble
02-26-2005, 10:06
EMTB in SC can do ET tubes, pt assist nitro, epi and albuterol with med control direction. Can admin. activated black gagging fluid, oral glucose, syrup of ipecac and O2. Also can do the standard stuff like splinting, immobilizing, suction and defib.

EMTI is like everyone else, IV, nasal intubation and the rest of the EMTB skills.

Paramedics have the full range. RSI, Pleural Decompression and all the other cool stuff.

kywoodpecker
03-10-2005, 16:42
IN KENTUCKY NAT. REG. FIRST RESPONDERS CAN GIVE OXYGEN THERAPY, C-SPINE COLAR, AND BACKBOARD AS WELL AS CPR AND AED, BUT WE CANNOT ASSIST WITH MEDS.

sudboy
03-10-2005, 21:19
Ditto for NC.

Sudboy

Originally posted by kywoodpecker
IN KENTUCKY NAT. REG. FIRST RESPONDERS CAN GIVE OXYGEN THERAPY, C-SPINE COLAR, AND BACKBOARD AS WELL AS CPR AND AED, BUT WE CANNOT ASSIST WITH MEDS.

RLDS45S
03-11-2005, 19:36
I have 10K 911 ALS responses under my belt. And, as far as the kewl stuff is just does not happen that much. I wen two years before I got my first EJ. I then did two surgical cric in a month. And, I know one medic that has 27 field births in the same time span as mine. Yet I have 3! Originally posted by DaleGribble
EMTB in SC can do ET tubes, pt assist nitro, epi and albuterol with med control direction. Can admin. activated black gagging fluid, oral glucose, syrup of ipecac and O2. Also can do the standard stuff like splinting, immobilizing, suction and defib.

EMTI is like everyone else, IV, nasal intubation and the rest of the EMTB skills.

Paramedics have the full range. RSI, Pleural Decompression and all the other cool stuff.

AggiePhil
06-15-2005, 09:40
Don't forget about EMT-T. :cool:

http://www.tacticalmedicine.com/images/patch2a.gif

DaleGribble
06-17-2005, 13:31
Originally posted by AggiePhil
Don't forget about EMT-T. :cool:

http://www.tacticalmedicine.com/images/patch2a.gif

As far as I know NREMT doesn't have an EMT-T designation. While it would be cool to be sworn in as a paramedic ninja with the special boots that allow you to climb walls, the skills are the same.

AggiePhil
06-17-2005, 14:41
Well NREMT can kiss m....;P

;a ;)

Alpha752
06-27-2005, 20:50
Originally posted by DaleGribble

Ohio is the same.

Charlie Fox
06-29-2005, 10:45
In WA the following are basically the State requirements, as King Co. and Harborview Medical Center are the moving forces in EMS here.

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/medicone/medonefaq.htm