Booze [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Booze

S9Man
02-20-2005, 16:54
Anyone have a problem with drinking too much? I'm not a drunk, but I have a hard time going with out the stuff. I'd like to cut down to 1-2 drinks a day 3-4 times a week. Presently I'm drinking 5 or 6 days a week, typically between 2-8 drinks a day. Avg 5 drinks. The days I don't drink are typically due to the fact that I drank too much the day \ night before. Anyone have the same type of bad habit and was able to kick it? I don't think I'm AA material. I can go with out it if needed. I don't want to quit, just slow down. Thanks for any advice!

testosterone
02-20-2005, 18:50
i drink socially...but i drink alot. for example, last nite i had about 18 shots of Patron silver...i can go weeks w/o drinking. if you arent able to control your drinking then you have an issue.

mhill
02-21-2005, 15:44
Originally posted by S9Man
Anyone have a problem with drinking too much? I'm not a drunk, but I have a hard time going with out the stuff. I'd like to cut down to 1-2 drinks a day 3-4 times a week. Presently I'm drinking 5 or 6 days a week, typically between 2-8 drinks a day. Avg 5 drinks. The days I don't drink are typically due to the fact that I drank too much the day \ night before. Anyone have the same type of bad habit and was able to kick it? I don't think I'm AA material. I can go with out it if needed. I don't want to quit, just slow down. Thanks for any advice!

I'm not going to jump all over you. But it does sound serious. I know AA people would tell you you're a drunk and face up to it. I won't because I don't know. I would recommend just cutting back and seeing where that goes. Limit yourself to weekend drinking for a few weeks. If you find yourself running back to the alcohol during this time then you have a problem that probably would require cold turkey and AA.

These are just my thoughts on the subject as someone who has been down this road.

mhill

S9Man
02-21-2005, 15:55
Originally posted by mhill
I'm not going to jump all over you. But it does sound serious. I know AA people would tell you you're a drunk and face up to it. I won't because I don't know. I would recommend just cutting back and seeing where that goes. Limit yourself to weekend drinking for a few weeks. If you find yourself running back to the alcohol during this time then you have a problem that probably would require cold turkey and AA.

These are just my thoughts on the subject as someone who has been down this road.

mhill

Thanks for the advice. I've been off the sauce for 3 days now due to the flu. This is probably a good time to go cold turkey for awhile.

S9Man
02-21-2005, 16:03
Originally posted by testosterone
i drink socially...but i drink alot. for example, last nite i had about 18 shots of Patron silver...i can go weeks w/o drinking. if you arent able to control your drinking then you have an issue.

I think my head would have issues the next day after 18 shots. I like getting a buzz, but not falling down drunk, sick, ect. I've never had a DUI, or work problems due to drinking. My wife doe's not like it, but one of my big reasons to drink is to dull my mind to the mean nag that my wife has become. I rotate from day shift to night shift and when on nights I will go the work week with out booze, but when I can drink I do.

pellertpale
02-21-2005, 16:37
It seems you are aware of the problem, and it's good to hear that a hangover keeps you from drinking. The bad part is drinking is the only thing that keeps from drinking. It seems like a ride I was having for awhile. Do you feel like you let yourself down when you get real drunk?

S9Man
02-21-2005, 17:15
Originally posted by pellertpale
It seems you are aware of the problem, and it's good to hear that a hangover keeps you from drinking. The bad part is drinking is the only thing that keeps from drinking. It seems like a ride I was having for awhile. Do you feel like you let yourself down when you get real drunk?

YES, I do feel like I'm letting myself down when I drink too much. Sometimes I will get up in the middle of the night, feeling kind of crappie and look at what ever bottle I have at the time and consider dumping it down the drain. After a day or so I'll be pouring another strong one. I think I should give up the hard stuff and just drink beer and wine. I still have that 1.75 in the cupboard that is all most full though. Maybe after that bottle.

BCR
02-22-2005, 15:09
I gave up cold turkey about 6 years ago. Best thing I ever did, I don't miss it at all. Haven't had a drop since. Saves a lot of $$ too.

One too many hang-overs and I said "Screw this!". I never really had a problem, just realized I have no use for alcohol.

Now I take out my frustrations on the dumbells!;)

gunguru1
03-01-2005, 18:22
If you are drinking to escape something, instead of just doing it to have fun, then you may have a problem.

gunguru1

45acp4me
03-03-2005, 11:58
I think I should give up the hard stuff and just drink beer and wine. I still have that 1.75 in the cupboard that is all most full though. Maybe after that bottle.

Give it to a friend or dump it, you have an addiction that is only going to get worse if you don't stop.

Regards,
Glen

Wayne D
03-06-2005, 11:35
A couple of thoughts here: You say you drink because your wife is a mean nag. Would she be nagging if you were sober? Figure out which is the cause and which is the result and fix the cause. If the drinking is the result of a bad relationship instead of the cause, then you have to fix the relationship. If you can fix the relationship, then maybe the drinking problem will take care of itself.

Switching from liquor to beer is just fooling your self. One of my friends, and the worst alcoholic I knew, only drank beer. But he drank it constantly. He never got sloppy drunk or missed any work so in his eyes he didn't have a problem. I kept telling him that it would eventually ruin his health. He died of lung cancer. Never smoked a cigarette in his life. Life's funny sometimes, ain't it?

The fact that you can go all week when you're on night shift without drinking is encouraging. I believe there are two kinds of addictions: the mental addiction to drinking and the physical addiction to alcohol. For years I loved to party, going out with friends and drinking. I was mentally addicted to having fun and drinking was part of that. When I got married and had kids my priorities changed with the realization that I was responsible for the lives of other people which required a clear head and clear thinking, I quit drinking except for the occasional beers with a steak. I didn't have a problem quitting because my addiction was mental and mentally I didn't need or want to drink anymore. Physical addiction to alcohol is when your body needs the alcohol or it goes into withdrawal. Luckily I didn't get to that point and if you can go all week without going into withdrawal then you aren't either. Now is the time to get control before you get to that point. Like I said at the beginning, figure out what the cause is and start there.

S9Man
03-06-2005, 19:42
Originally posted by 45acp4me
Give it to a friend or dump it, you have an addiction that is only going to get worse if you don't stop.

Regards,
Glen

Most of my friends that would be interested in the 1.75 need it even less than me. I went on a snowmobiling trip several weeks ago. 3 guys. We each bought a 1.75. The other two guys drank over half of their 1.75 in 3 nights, plus they were drinking pretty hard in the bars. I probably drank a couple of inches off of my 1.75. And drank maybe 1 drink to 3 of theirs in the bars. After going over a week with out the booze I made a couple of strong ones. I'm going to slowly drink this 1.75 and not buy anymore. No more trips to the store for booze.

45acp4me
03-06-2005, 20:17
Most of my friends that would be interested in the 1.75 need it even less than me. I went on a snowmobiling trip several weeks ago. 3 guys. We each bought a 1.75. The other two guys drank over half of their 1.75 in 3 nights, plus they were drinking pretty hard in the bars. I probably drank a couple of inches off of my 1.75. And drank maybe 1 drink to 3 of theirs in the bars. After going over a week with out the booze I made a couple of strong ones. I'm going to slowly drink this 1.75 and not buy anymore. No more trips to the store for booze.

If you can keep it to drinking once a week, it's probably not a problem. As soon at it becomes three or four times a week, it will have some pretty negative effects on your health and possibly your life.

Good luck in finding a happy balance!
Glen

S9Man
03-06-2005, 20:38
Originally posted by Wayne D
A couple of thoughts here: You say you drink because your wife is a mean nag. Would she be nagging if you were sober? Figure out which is the cause and which is the result and fix the cause. If the drinking is the result of a bad relationship instead of the cause, then you have to fix the relationship. If you can fix the relationship, then maybe the drinking problem will take care of itself.

Switching from liquor to beer is just fooling your self. One of my friends, and the worst alcoholic I knew, only drank beer. But he drank it constantly. He never got sloppy drunk or missed any work so in his eyes he didn't have a problem. I kept telling him that it would eventually ruin his health. He died of lung cancer. Never smoked a cigarette in his life. Life's funny sometimes, ain't it?

The fact that you can go all week when you're on night shift without drinking is encouraging. I believe there are two kinds of addictions: the mental addiction to drinking and the physical addiction to alcohol. For years I loved to party, going out with friends and drinking. I was mentally addicted to having fun and drinking was part of that. When I got married and had kids my priorities changed with the realization that I was responsible for the lives of other people which required a clear head and clear thinking, I quit drinking except for the occasional beers with a steak. I didn't have a problem quitting because my addiction was mental and mentally I didn't need or want to drink anymore. Physical addiction to alcohol is when your body needs the alcohol or it goes into withdrawal. Luckily I didn't get to that point and if you can go all week without going into withdrawal then you aren't either. Now is the time to get control before you get to that point. Like I said at the beginning, figure out what the cause is and start there.

Wayne, I think your right on the money with your thoughts. I feel like my drinking is more mental than physical. I've been drinking for 30 years now. Started when I was 15 and I'm still going hard at 45. I have been in several enviroments during my life where I could not drink for extended periods of time due to miltary service, college, or work. I've also had several periods where I felt like I was getting out of control so I laid off of the stuff for awhile. I'm in a drying out period right now. I do like to use the booze to escape my problems. I am very unhappy with my marriage, but feel like I'm stuck for several reasons. The weather is getting warmer here in Minnesota and hopefully warm weather will get me out of the dumps. Today I went bike riding with my son & daughter and that really made me feel good. Sunshine, warm weather excerise with my children. Rode through lots of water, some snow, slush and even a little ice. Great fun. Thanks for your input.

younggenious
03-07-2005, 23:28
I know a buddy that was in a situation similar to yours. He decided to quit drinking, but was having a hard time quitting. He took up jogging/running and it really helped him. He would constantly push himself to go a little further and faster, and he knew the alcohol would hold him back, etc. Find something, some type of goal or anything to motivate you and keep your mind off of alcohol.

pellertpale
03-09-2005, 12:29
I don't rely drink to get drunk anymore. While it is nice, I tend to only have 6-8 beers over the weekend. They are of the stronger, and more flavorful variety. I don't get hangovers anymore, and I don't let myself down.

python1340
03-09-2005, 14:04
The more I drink alone, the more I know it's a problem. I try to keep it a social thing.

BobRicks
03-12-2005, 08:13
S9Man, been there done that. I used to think that I couldn't play golf wihtout drinking about 10-15 beers every time I played. Wifey kept getting real upset about me coming home from the golf course not being able to carry on a decent conversation and only mumbling my words. I would drink mostly on weekends, but sometimes during the week I would drink 4 or 5 a night, but when the weekend got here, look out.

What made me change my lifestyle was my wife. She had said that if I came home from the golf course one more time like I usually did, all slobbermouthed, that my stuff would be sitting on the front porch the next morning, and I would need to find another place to live. Being a dumbarse, I did just that, came home one Saturday after about 15 beers on the course, and could only lie on the floor and try to play with the dog. I saw THE LOOK in her eye, and when I woke up the next morning with the usual hangover, I told her I would not drink again. Lucky for me she gave me a chance to prove it. I almost lost my wife and child due to ignorance on my part. To make a long story longer, I quit for 10 years, did not touch a drop. Did not miss it one bit, saved money, sex life improved, yada yada yada. After proving to myself that I could do without the beer, about two summers ago while on vacation, I decided I would dring a beer or two. With the wife's blessings (as long as I knew when to quit), it was ok with her. Bought a 12 pack of Corona, and stretched it out over four days. After that I figured I could have a couple of beers every now and then. Haven't been drunk since that last time about 12 years ago, and don't miss waking up feeling like crap. I now know that I can drink one, two or three and then quit, so it is not the most important thing in my life. Keeping my wife and child is!

Good luck. If you want to quit you can. You just have to make the decision.