1 Barbell Exercise for the Entire Body? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1 Barbell Exercise for the Entire Body?

git_r_dun0405
02-20-2005, 22:02
Is there one single barbell exercise, that works the entire body or atleast most of the body? One barbell excercise= total body work out?

testosterone
02-20-2005, 22:06
entire body?? i would have to say power cleans.............

ateamer
02-20-2005, 22:34
The squat is close, but it doesn't require as much from the upper torso or arms, so I'll have to say the clean-and-jerk.

BCR
02-20-2005, 23:13
Yeah, I was going to say the clean and jerk.

git_r_dun0405
02-21-2005, 00:56
Ok, Sounds good. What or how is the proper way to perform the clean and jerk? And how often should I perform this?

CBRGlocker
02-22-2005, 19:10
How about the deadlift?

California Jack
02-22-2005, 20:40
I agree with the clean and jerk. Another option would be a combination of the power snatch to an overhead squat. And yet another might be a power clean and press.

You can clean and jerk three times per week. Learning olympic style lifting is difficult.

Here are a few links;

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/CleanAndJerk.html

http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/cleanandjerk

I know you want only one exercise, but a very similar move that would be beneficial would be to augment your clean and jerk with a few sets of clean and press.

Also, there are at least 2 styles of cleaning; the old school split style, and the more modern squat style.

Good luck. Lifting this way is very challenging, yet is rewarding.

Jack

California Jack
02-22-2005, 20:43
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that one of the advantages of lifting this way is that spotters are not required. Another is that a minimum of equipment is needed.

enukis
02-23-2005, 19:32
from my experience, deadlifts improve total body useable strength more than any other movement.

as far as olympic lifts go, unless you have a coach to teach you, i would recommend reading a lot and starting with very light weight until you get the movement down.

California Jack
02-23-2005, 19:55
Deadlifts are great. And if he wanted just 2 lifts I'd have recommend deadlifts and presses. But subscribing to only one lift, the deadlift would leave out pressing. Hence, the recommendations for the clean and jerk. The clean and jerk combines all three basic moves, a squat, a pull and a push.

As far as difficulty learning, sure the C&J is harder than leraning to deadlift, but the snatch is the more difficult move of the 2 oly lifts. If git-r-dun has a modest amount of athletic ability and flexibility he can teach himself to clean and jerk in a month. Mind you, this won't be a technique worthy of competition, but he'll be able to get a fine workout in.

But you are right. He'll need to read books and watch videos. Videoing himself lifting is a great coaching tool too. World Class Coaching's "The Worlds Most Powerful Lift" is very valuable to the self taught.

git_r_dun0405
02-24-2005, 12:25
I work long hours, 6-7 days a week. I was just looking for an exercise that could be done in a minimum amount of time. I talk to some guys over on http://bodybuilding.com and they gave me some great ideas for working the body in just one exercise. Anyone heard of the "Bear" or "Modified Bear"?

It consist of 12 movements per rep and 50 reps in 20 mins. I tried this last night after work and Im sore as heck all over this morning. ;P Talking about burn DAMN! ;P

California Jack
02-24-2005, 17:07
Never heard of the bear or modified bear. Not much into bodybuilding though. Give us details.

git_r_dun0405
02-25-2005, 15:23
Originally posted by California Jack
Never heard of the bear or modified bear. Not much into bodybuilding though. Give us details.
Check it out.;)

http://t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=274bear2

California Jack
02-25-2005, 19:40
I've seen that complex before. Never heard it called the bear before. One thing, that is a crappy looking front squat.

I only see 5 movement per rep, where/what are the other 7?

JAck

git_r_dun0405
02-26-2005, 18:10
I've seen that complex before. Never heard it called the bear before. One thing, that is a crappy looking front squat.

I only see 5 movement per rep, where/what are the other 7?

JAck

Well 11 movements. The way I do them. 1. Off the floor. 2. Up to chest. 3.Front squat. 4. Press up. 5. Lower to neck. 6. Squat. 7. Press up. 8. Lower to chest. 9. Front Squat. 10. Lower to waist. 11. Lower to floor. Slow and controlled. ;)

California Jack
02-26-2005, 22:07
I gotcha now.

git_r_dun0405
02-27-2005, 19:49
;f ;f ;f

Mister Joshua
02-27-2005, 20:41
I am sorry, but maybe I have spent too much time on strength and conditioning boards, but I really have to be frank.

Why would anyone only do "one" excercise with a barbell and weights?

The only reason this question exists is to make internet message board fodder. It isn't a question that would make sense in the real world.

If I only had access to a barbell and 400-500lbs of weights, I would clean+press, clean+frontsquat, deadlift, and especially barbell row.

4 excercises, it isn't rocket surgery.

California Jack
02-27-2005, 21:32
Joshua,

You don't post on the P&B do you?

Jack

mossy500camo
02-28-2005, 13:37
Originally posted by Mister Joshua
I am sorry, but maybe I have spent too much time on strength and conditioning boards, but I really have to be frank.

Why would anyone only do "one" excercise with a barbell and weights?

The only reason this question exists is to make internet message board fodder. It isn't a question that would make sense in the real world.

If I only had access to a barbell and 400-500lbs of weights, I would clean+press, clean+frontsquat, deadlift, and especially barbell row.

4 excercises, it isn't rocket surgery.

The guy said that he worked 12hr days, 7 days aweek. Very little time do anything. Believe me I know the feeling.;Q

ROKIT88
02-28-2005, 18:48
Power Clean+Push Press

Deadlift

Alternate between the two on different workout days. Lift hard for 20 minutes and you are DONE

spober
03-12-2005, 11:44
clean and jerk and dead lifts are not for the rookie.strict technique is of the utmost importance if you dont want to sqweeeze out a lumbar disk!

Mister Joshua
03-12-2005, 13:25
Joshua,

You don't post on the P&B do you?

Jack

Yeah Jack - Joshua Davis on the P&B

Mister Joshua
03-12-2005, 13:29
Originally posted by mossy500camo
The guy said that he worked 12hr days, 7 days aweek. Very little time do anything. Believe me I know the feeling.;Q

3 sets of 5 or 8, doing 2 of those four excercises that I listed, alternating between 3 days a week, would take him all of 30 minutes, unless he wanted to take a nap between each set... throw in a hot shower and 15 minutes on a stationary bike or elliptical trainer, and wooozoo! you have one whole hour. I am sure most of us spend that much time watching 24. How much more important is your body than a television show (ok, you don't have to answer that, and neither do I once the sopranos are back on)

One excercise isn't the answer, just like trying to build a better mousetrap isn't the answer. Doing it the right way is the answer, always has been, no matter what you are doing.

California Jack
03-12-2005, 13:55
Joshua,

I thought that was you. I occssionally will post at the P&B as Gogiants. Mostly to ask questions. Don't post often enough there to have earned a tagline. Of course, at the P&B, not having a tagline is probably a good thing.

Now, of to the garage to pull. I'm experimentng with sumo.

Jack

Mister Joshua
03-12-2005, 15:00

Now, of to the garage to pull. I'm experimentng with sumo.

Jack

Is the sumo's wife ok with that? I mean, it is cool and all to like the meaty ones, but to experiment with one sounds more like a ploy for attention...

Oh, you meant sumo deadlifts? CHEATER!
;z

California Jack
03-12-2005, 20:08
No, no, I didn't mean DLing. You had it right. I guess you figured out what I was pulling.

:)

I shoulda figured on a P&B type response from you.

More seriously, I'm over 6'-2" with only a 31" in seam. Sumo just seems to make more sense even if it is cheating.

Jack

Dambrook
03-12-2005, 21:01
no time for weights? push ups in my opinion are the single best exersise you can do that hits the most muscle groups. do three sets of fifty.

DonGlock26
03-13-2005, 09:02
I would say the best exercise for a guy with absolutely NO time to exercise, would be burpees or 8-count bodybuilders. It's a bodyweight exercise, but you could put on a weighted vest, if you want a heart attack.;)

From the standing position:

1. squat

2. push-up position

3. push-up

4. kick feet out to sides

5. back to PU position

6. Push up

7. squat position

8. back to standing position

work up to sets of 25-50

The SEALs and SF types like this one.

It's popular in Prison,too.FWIW

willm
03-16-2005, 15:38
git_r_dun0405,
I added the Bear to my workout this week and I noticed it. The series fits with my workout goals and time constraints. Thank you for passing the tip on. Best wishes on you accomplishing your goals.