Got a coyote on video the other day [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got a coyote on video the other day

sharpshooter
02-22-2005, 01:38
I called in a coyote on video the other day with my cam corder. I was checking out some public land to hunt and passed by this ranch. It's private property, so I couldn't hunt there. But I pulled over and sat down in a ditch at the fence line and tried my best to get something coming in on tape.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/benclawson/DClong.jpg
Here's the layout. A picture's worth a thousand words, yes? I wanted to set up out there about 100 yards in that island of oak trees because I figured I'd get a response from that far side. But I didn't want to trespass, so I stayed at the fence line.

After a few howls I started my jackrabbit distress series. It's been about 5-6 minutes since I sat down. As I began my second series, here comes Mr Coyote from the far side of the valley at about 300 yards at a fast trot. He cut right down the center of the field about 200-250 yards out trying to get down wind of me. If I had been in those oaks, he would have been at least 100 yards closer and that much bigger in my pics. Either way, he would be dead if I was packing a gun.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/benclawson/DC07.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/benclawson/DC08.jpg
Anyways, he stopped twice to check me out, but he wouldn't come any closer and finally lost interest. Maybe he saw me fiddling with the video camera, maybe he saw my car behind me on the road. I was wearing jeans and a camo jacket so maybe he saw me.

Next time, I'm gonna bring my tripod (oops). And hopefully I'll have permission to hunt that ranch! ;f

noway
02-22-2005, 08:15
That's a good job and you probably has it right on the fumbling with the camera and the car keep his guard up and prevented him from getting closer.

If you want todo this again, get a second person as a videographer and situation him down wind and maybe 50-75yrds away and hopefully he will be closer. BTW: double teaming when hunting ( caller and shooter ) is good and more productive for hunting coyotes. Works good for turkey hunting also.

BillK@tcmhmrs.o
02-22-2005, 12:48
Yessir, that's about as close as you're gonna get. I've taken quite a few on the Canadian River breaks (Texas Panhandle, North of Amarillo) in my younger years on Uncle John's land with an '03 Springfield. That side-on picture is a good shot with adequate land in the back for the overshoot. I used to get $25 per set of ears- that was 25 years ago! Not unusual to have 200-300 yard shots with the .30'06... pretty much blows them up

sharpshooter
02-22-2005, 13:36
Yessir, that's about as close as you're gonna get Nah. I've called them in MUCH closer than that. Last one I killed got shot at 13 steps while he was charging me, couldn't get him to stop. 2 years ago I called one in that snuck up behind me and I didn't see him until he was about 7-10 yards at my 4-o'clock. We had a stare down before he lost interest and jogged off. I never even got a shot off. But I nailed one on the next stand at about 110 yards. Most of the dogs I call come in to 100 yards or less, most of them less. But of course, the first time I try to film a hunt, ol' coyote hangs up way out there. ;f