My biggest problem..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My biggest problem.....

MrsKitty
02-23-2005, 11:41
Anybody else do this?

I will start out fully intending to write something. But I roll it over in my head until I am satisfied with it. This could take hours, days, weeks, months, even years! Once I am finally happy with it, I have lost interest to the point that I never write it down :( The good news it that I can whip out a nice little short in a couple hours when I am happy with my final "head" version ;f

Glennbo
02-24-2005, 00:09
I know exactly what you mean. I've got two stories where I finally got everything figured out and started writing them. But now I'm so bored with them that I feel no motivation to "copy what's in my head". That's what it becomes...copying, which is boring. This makes a great case for just writing without having any idea of where you're going or what you what to do, just letting the story come out as you write it.

Miss Maggie
02-24-2005, 07:58
I love having the story written in my head when I start putting words on the page. That way, I can worry more about getting my characterizations to match what I have in my mind for the story more easily than I can if I'm just struggling along trying to decide what is to happen next.

Jack23
02-24-2005, 12:06
In a way I wish it worked that way for me too. But the way it goes for me is that I come up with a setting, a general story line (very general) and a few preliminary characters. By the time I have a few pages down the whole thing just kind of takes on a life of it's own. I can't describe the feeling. The story just pulles itself out of me as I go. I have to wait and see what I've written before I know what I wrote, so to speak.;Q

I once saw Steven King in a TV interview. He had a couple of quotes that stuck with me and made a lot of sense.
.If you don't have time to read, you don't have time to write.
.A story will write itself. All the author must do is give it a little kick in the beginning and then sit back and enjoy the ride.

Glennbo
02-25-2005, 22:40
Originally posted by Jack23

.A story will write itself. All the author must do is give it a little kick in the beginning and then sit back and enjoy the ride. Out of the eight short stories that I've completed, three were wrtitten this way. They turned out best. The others seem kind of souless.