opening piano chord for "Great gig in the sky" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : opening piano chord for "Great gig in the sky"

Sinister Angel
02-24-2005, 15:10
I know it has an F# (or a Gb depending on the key obviously) as a leading tone, but I can't figure out the other notes in the chord, though it seems like B works. Anyone know it?

flatfender
03-25-2005, 21:01
Song is in B flat (Bb and Eb) but alot of the "B"s are natural

Very first chord is a Bm
Left hand note B ------------Right hand notes B + D + F#

2nd chord is an open F (Think of an F chord flatted 5th - F + A + B)
Left hand notes F + F octave up --------------Right hand notes B + A (you can hold the high A note and move your thumb B note > C > D > C > B)

3rd chord is a Bb and then back to F

Here it is:

Bm F Bb F
C9* Gm7 C9 Gm7
Fmaj7 Bbmaj7 Ebmaj7 Cm7
Cm F7 Bbmaj7 Eb Bb

Scat singing part
Gm7 C9 repeat as needed

Lots of open 5ths (no 3rds) and you have to play around with some of the chord inversions. Especially the C9
That's about it except a Gb7 thrown in there once in the middle

In case anyone doesn't know their Minor 7ths and 9ths - here's an easier way to play them:
C9 = Gm chord with added E note w/ C bass
Gm7 = Bbm chord w/ G bass
Fmag7 = Am chord w/ F bass
Bbmaj7 = Dm chord w/ Bb bass
Ebmaj7 = Gm chord w/ Eb bass
Cm7 = Bb chord w/ C bass

Sinister Angel
03-27-2005, 00:19
You sir, have made me very happy! Thank you!
The intro is one of my favorites, and I always like trying to figure out and playing along with different parts of different songs, but I could never figure this one out for some reason.

Originally posted by flatfender
Song is in B flat (Bb and Eb) but alot of the "B"s are natural

Very first chord is a Bm
Left hand note B ------------Right hand notes B + D + F#

2nd chord is an open F (Think of an F chord flatted 5th - F + A + B)
Left hand notes F + F octave up --------------Right hand notes B + A (you can hold the high A note and move your thumb B note > C > D > C > B)

3rd chord is a Bb and then back to F

Here it is:

Bm F Bb F
C9* Gm7 C9 Gm7
Fmaj7 Bbmaj7 Ebmaj7 Cm7
Cm F7 Bbmaj7 Eb Bb

Scat singing part
Gm7 C9 repeat as needed

Lots of open 5ths (no 3rds) and you have to play around with some of the chord inversions. Especially the C9
That's about it except a Gb7 thrown in there once in the middle

In case anyone doesn't know their Minor 7ths and 9ths - here's an easier way to play them:
C9 = Gm chord with added E note w/ C bass
Gm7 = Bbm chord w/ G bass
Fmag7 = Am chord w/ F bass
Bbmaj7 = Dm chord w/ Bb bass
Ebmaj7 = Gm chord w/ Eb bass
Cm7 = Bb chord w/ C bass ;c

flatfender
03-27-2005, 21:09
You're welcome!

Back 12 years or so I was in a band that did the whole Dark Side of the Moon album as one of the sets and I had to play all the keyboard parts and Gig was one of my favorite sections. It'd be a whole lot easier now with the better keyboards. I would not want to haul a Hammond, a Leslie, several synths and a CP80 around nowadays. ;f

flat

Sinister Angel
03-28-2005, 08:48
Alright n00b question (just started piano lessons), but how exactly do you play the first Bb when the F jumps to the D (which then does the downward run back to F)? Left hand is preoccupied with that Low Bb, and my hands aren't big enough to cover both Bbs with my left, and then have the right hand run the D and F, and then have jump to the D and go back down to F.

Another thing I'm really tempted to do is bust out my sax (haven't touched it in... 2 years?) and learn the sax part in Us and them (yet another favorite).

flatfender
03-30-2005, 21:43
If you can't play octave notes with your left hand just hit the bottom note with the sustain pedal and add the top note when you get a chance.

Pink Floyd's Rick Wright is no keyboard wiz by any means and he plays Gig (like all his keyboard work) pretty simply. Octave notes on the left hand and inverted chords on the right.

Lots of sustain pedal and a bit of reverb will help you. It's frustrating at first to learn to play a new song and it's harder when you're just learning to play at the same time.

Speaking of Us and them when we played the Floyd set, I had my hands full. I played the sax on an old (now it is) Kord M1 synth while doing hammond or piano fills in the background. It still has one of he better sax sounds out of all my keyboards. I filled in for a country band about 3 years ago for a short time and "learned" how to play pedal steel guitar and banjo on a Korg Trinity Pro. It turned out to be more technic that finding a perfect sound.

I had piano lessions for about 5 years until I was about 14. I discovered rock, quit lessions and learned to play off records. What really helped my playing was to learn the songs I liked and really wanted to play. The basics of keyboard playing and scales have their place at the beginning, but I know lots of people quit playing any kind of instrument because they have to learn songs that they don't care about.

flatfender
03-30-2005, 21:48
Double tap

pellertpale
03-31-2005, 13:52
lots of people quit playing any kind of instrument because they have to learn songs that they don't care about.

That's a travesty. I know it happens, but that's like not driving a car because you can't parellel park.

Back on topic now.;c

Sinister Angel
06-02-2005, 16:43
Originally posted by pellertpale
That's a travesty. I know it happens, but that's like not driving a car because you can't parellel park.

Back on topic now.;c

I wouldn't quite say that. You after all might have to parallel park at some point, but the wonderful thing about music is you don't have to play any specific piece you don't like.