Get on the Ball [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Get on the Ball

SouthernGal
02-24-2005, 15:32
I recently purchased a stability ball which is used to tone your body overall. I didn't think much of it when I bought it. I've been working out for almost a year now running and doing crunches with an 8-pound weight between my knees.

The very first night I did 3 sets of 20 (a total of 60) crunches "on the ball". Supposedly this thing is supposed to extend your ab range of motion.

The next day my abs were so sore it hurt to laugh. It must be working as I was never sore anymore using the weight. Today is day 4 and I'm still a little sore but not nearly as much. This thing is really working out great and I can't recommend one enough to anyone looking to strengthen and stretch--especially abs.

Be sure to purchase the correct ball size for your height. These things go for about $30 a piece.

Jaegergirl
02-25-2005, 10:31
i used on of these at the gym and couldn't believe how sore i was afterward! yickes!

another exercise we (my sister who is my workout partner) do is lay on the floor with your feet on top of the ball. put your arms on the floor to your side for balance. lift your butt off the floor and roll the ball in towards your butt with your feet and then back out again (never letting your butt touch the floor). the first time i saw my sister do it, she was happy because she did 20. it looked so easy i couldn't figure out what the big deal was...then i tried it. WOW! talk about a good exercise for your abs, butt and thighs.

next time i'm at walmart, i'm going to buy one. :)

SouthernGal
02-25-2005, 13:30
I may have to try that when I get home tonight. They are really harmless looking until you try to do exercises on them and you quickly find out that they AREN'T as easy as they look!

I got mine at Target. I'm not sure how much they go for at Walleyworld.

Jaegergirl
02-25-2005, 14:20
looks like walmart has them ranging from $10-$20 online. the one for my height is only $10 so i just might have to get one (and hide it from my kids and especially my dog... he'd go nuts for it!) :)

SouthernGal
02-25-2005, 14:46
You know, my dachshund barks at mine!

Jaegergirl
02-25-2005, 18:52
too funny. :) i know my dog would LOVE to have a turn at it in the backyard but he'd have it popped/deflated in no time.

Mister Joshua
02-27-2005, 19:35
I use one as a bench for dumbbell presses, I have also used it for abdominal workouts as well. A good friend of mine used to put his hands on one for close-gripped pushups, but I could never balance my hands on that ball and then do a pushup on top of that.

SouthernGal
02-28-2005, 10:32
My mom decided to try it out this weekend. It took her about 5 seconds to try to balance before she fell over on her rear end!!

Pushups on this thing are extremely difficult. I see pics of women doing pushups on them in Fitness but I just can't do it!

Jaegergirl
02-28-2005, 10:45
well, i am now the proud owner of a ball. my hubby bought me one for my bday. ;a it will be a nice addition to my work outs...gives me something to do on days i don't go to the gym.

i can't imagine trying to do push ups on the thing. i can't imaging doing half of the things they show on the chart that comes with it!! it will definately take some mastering. :)

Str8shootr
02-28-2005, 11:46
A freind of mine (he is in good shape, long distance runner) was having back pain. The doctor told him to get one of those balls and sit on it at his desk, and in front of his computer.

It seems in about 4 days, sitting on the ball, his pain went away, it was a posture thing.