Wife wants a Honda Reflex 250 Scooter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife wants a Honda Reflex 250 Scooter

ArmyCop
02-24-2005, 16:30
Was thinking about a Silverwing for her - went to local Honda shop to look. She feels this Silverwing a little big for her & liked the feel of the smaller Reflex.
Does anyone here have any experiance with the reflex?
I'd like to know how fast it will go - if it'll do 75 on the Interstate without too much stress - how it handles etc...

Thanks in Advance.

fnfalman
02-24-2005, 18:42
I'm just curious but why would she want to ride a scooter that big? That's a hefty sucker!

Would she consider a similarly sized engine motorcycle? A Honda Nighthawk has the same displacement but much cheaper AND lighter.

I am ignorant of scooters, especially big ones, but don't motorcycles usually handle better than scooters?

ArmyCop
02-24-2005, 21:03
I've heard others who have experiance with scooters say they are easy and fun to ride. One thing is no having to learn to use the clutch and shift. They are automatic.

fnfalman
02-25-2005, 09:10
I tooted around on the old 50-cc Vespas and Lambrettas before and it was really fun. BUT when you're talking about a 250-cc scooter that weighs more than a similarly engined motorcycle and doesn't have the suspension travel and smallish wheels, I can't imagine these things are easy to ride. The automatic transmission makes it easy, but how does one balance something that big and heavy on small wheels? And riding something that big at higher speed without the suspension travel?

Anyway, I am not dogging anybody out. I'm just trying to see the advantage of riding a big scooter over a motorcycle.

gixxer11
02-25-2005, 19:08
Yes, they'll do 75mph, but it's not the easiest 75. I've had one up to 80+ drafting a minivan once. Scooters take a little getting used to if your acustomed to motorcycles, but they're not bad. I would still try and get her to take a class, and talk her into a little more powerful machine (i.e. motorcycle). There is a point when not enough power is just as dangerous as too much, especially in today's traffic. See if the dealer will let you test ride it and decide for yourself. Just to let you know they are a little more "involved" if you try to work on it yourself. There has got to be half a million fasteners that have to be revomed before you can do anything. Plus all that plastic costs ALOT if it goes down. Just a friendly reminder.

NYGunman
03-10-2005, 07:06
I have bought and sold several different scooters on Ebay. The bigger ones are easy to drive and are comfortable. The only bad thing I can say is that they have small tires. The only accident I was in was when I went from the road and into some sand on the side of the road. I would have been OK if I was on a normal motorcycle. Those tiny tires are just not meant for sand.

Texas T
03-10-2005, 07:52
Originally posted by gixxer11
I would still try and get her to take a class, and talk her into a little more powerful machine (i.e. motorcycle). MSF has just started offering scooter specific classes because of the high number of sales of this type of bike. I think there was an article in this month's AMA magazine.

Bandalero
03-10-2005, 08:16
I think it depends on what kind of traveling. If just short hops and around the area, a scooter would be a blast. I'm not so sure about long trips or extensive interstate >70 mph travel.

I had no previous motorcycle experience and last year took the MSF course on a Honda Rebel 250. I own a 1995 Virago 535 (which cost me $2,000). The 535 has all the easy handling, lightness, and nimbleness of the Rebel, but can do highway speeds for long periods in relative comfort. It has a low seat height also.

But there is more to consider, i.e., shifting. Maybe she can take the MSF course on their 250s and see how she feels.