Any SV-650 owners here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any SV-650 owners here?

HKMark23
02-24-2005, 19:54
I may be buying one for a to/from work bike.

About 100mi round trip (30 city/70 breezway) with an elevation range of 5,500' to 7,500'
I am curious about the MPG that these get.

Ive driven a few at the track so I know how they handle, but I'm curious about an un-moded version and its MPG.

Texas T
02-24-2005, 20:19
Check out my "other" favorite web site...

www.twtex.com

There are several folks there with this machine.

clutch
02-25-2005, 17:49
Check out www.svrider.com (http://www.svrider.com) I've been thinkin' about getting one too and those guys got lots of info

gixxer11
02-25-2005, 20:43
A couple of my friends have them. They are THE best bike in it's class/price range, bar-none. They are also plenty fast, very modern, handle great, look sweet, sound sweet , etc. I am in love with the SV, I'm just to big to fit on one comfortably . Get one and you'll love it! Try and get a fuel injected model. Those are the nicest.

F14Scott
02-25-2005, 22:54
2003 SV650S. 41 MPG in spirited city driving at ~700' MSL.

MGomez81
02-26-2005, 22:36
Rode a 2002 SV650 as my one and only means of transportation for exactly two years.

;)

Alan
02-28-2005, 15:27
I had one at one time. LOVED that bike. Picture attached...

epsylum
03-02-2005, 20:28
Not to mention the aftermarket for that thing is HUGE. Everything from magnesium wheels to tire flys (i would recommend staying away from the latter).

I think the role you plan on using it for, is the best possible role for it. The bike was literally made for that (sporty commuting).

Whatever the gas milage is (I'm sure it's very good), it has to absolutely KILL any car on the road in that regard. Thus more money in your pocket. (more money AND a sweet bike? where do I sign up).

dfowler21
03-04-2005, 09:15
I got an 01 SVS. Love the bike. The regular SV without the half fairing and with handlebars instead of clip ons would be the better for just commuting. Some get a little uncomfortable with clip ons.

With a full yoshi exhaust it got 50 mpg. Didnt seem to matter what I did. Hell it even got about 45 mpg wide open at VIR on the full course. I live about 1500ft MSL with 75% of my trips going up to the mtns (its my curvy road toy more than a commuter).

After hacking the air filter, rejetting, shimming some needles I am getting 42-45 all day long. Cant beat it for mileage and fun factor. Its not the fastest bike, but with proper tires and some suspension work you can really make a canyon carver out of it. Itll still commute with the best of em too.

Another plus is you dont have to spend 10 minutes taking fairings off just to change your oil. My friend with a gsxr600 hates me for how easy my SV is to work on :)

In short, get it! You wont be disappointed.

WERA49
03-04-2005, 09:53
This is the extent of my tinkering with an SV. I later bought this bike, but sold it without riding it again. At the time, it belonged to a friend and fellow racer.

I've only heard positive comments about SV's, street or track.

The elevation difference won't matter if the bike that you're considering is fuel injected. Those have temperature and barometric pressure sensors to compensate for changes. If you can afford a late model bike, fuel injection is really nice. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/AR-50_Fan/Motorcycles/IMG_6639.jpg

JCee
03-04-2005, 17:24
A friend of mine traded in his Katana for an SV last year.
He's nothing but happy with it.

I think it's a great looking, and great performing bike, but I'm older and taller, so I stick with my DL-1000 V-Strom
(and yes, "Strom" is the proper spelling. It's a Suzuki thing. Dumb name. Great bike.):)
http://www.kosins.com/bik1.jpg

By the way,
WERA49,
That's a great picture.

HKMark23
03-04-2005, 20:45
I have ridden a few friends SV's on track day and love the bike as a whole. even though Im 6' 200# the small size & light weight make the bike fun as heck to flick around. I was just curious as to the MPG on a stock bike.

I do plan on getting an 03 or maybe 04 in order to get the EFI, which will do wonders around here with the altitude changes.

epsylum
03-04-2005, 21:48
Hey WERA,
You have the exact same helmet as me.

Man, I love Arai helmets. They just cost a bit. But, you definately get what you pay for.

I know about both the EFI and less platic thing. I had a '00 TL1000S (sold it to my dad, who rides it WAY more than I ever would have, to get a new quad). The EFI was nothing but cake (just pull the fast idle lever till it warms up, then take it off and it settles into a beautiful idle).

Also only having the half fairing (as opposed to the TLR's full fairing) the oil filter is just sitting right in the front of the motor and nothing needs to be removed for an oil change. Made oil changes about 10 minute affair.

That's why my next street bike is going to be a naked (or at least only half-faired) fuel injected bike. Except I want an I4 instead of a twin now. Mmmmmmm Z1000 alllllgghhh *homer simpson drooling sound*

WERA49
03-04-2005, 22:32
You have the exact same helmet as me.
Arai's are my favorite. It's time for me to buy another one. This one is four years old and has LOTS of time on my head. :)

That's why my next street bike is going to be a naked (or at least only half-faired) fuel injected bike. Except I want an I4 instead of a twin now.
My idea of a great do-everything-well bike is a fuel injected Yamaha FZ1.

HKMark23, have you considered a Yamaha FZ6? It has a R6 engine, but detuned to make more midrange torque.

I really like SV's, but still prefer inline fours. I'm not anti-V engines, I have two. However, both are two strokes. ;f

epsylum
03-06-2005, 21:27
Originally posted by WERA49
My idea of a great do-everything-well bike is a fuel injected Yamaha FZ1.

Yeah I like the FZ1, but the Z1000 is one of the best looking naked bikes right now IMO. So in my case it kind of tips the scales towards it. I hear nothing but good stuff about both.

Also I just read an article on a first ride of the new KTM superduke 990. I know I said I wanted an I-4, but if they sell that bike here, that's exactly what I want. It has 120 hp out of the most compact 1000cc V-twin on the planet (basically a punched out 950 adventure engine). Also it only wieghs about 370 lbs and has a short wheelbase. It is the best hooligan bike out there. The magazine said it handled like a race bike, too.

Here check it out.
http://www.990superduke.at/

wanderinwalker
03-10-2005, 07:19
SV650S owner here. It's an '02 carburated model, picked up as a left-over in '03. (I actually didn't want the newer EFI model.) Look at my sig, I've put about 10k on it over two summers. I normally get around 50mpg out of it; in gentle cruise mode it will get up to 60 on the highway. I have looked at modifying the suspension and whatnot, but I figure it would be easier just to buy a 600 I4 in the first place.

But for commuting and having fun, the SV is great.

dfowler21
03-10-2005, 08:15
If you do decide to modify the suspension, I HIGHLY recommend the race tech springs and gold valve emulators. Night and day difference in the front end. It was like a new bike.

As for the rear, I started to go the GSXR Shock route, but I ponied up and got an Ohlins. Freaking wow man. I wanted to get a new 600, but putting that shock on there was probably the best money I have spent on the bike. I did all that for less than $1000 and it was all a cinch to install.

wanderinwalker
03-12-2005, 21:16
Originally posted by dfowler21
If you do decide to modify the suspension, I HIGHLY recommend the race tech springs and gold valve emulators. Night and day difference in the front end. It was like a new bike.

As for the rear, I started to go the GSXR Shock route, but I ponied up and got an Ohlins. Freaking wow man. I wanted to get a new 600, but putting that shock on there was probably the best money I have spent on the bike. I did all that for less than $1000 and it was all a cinch to install.

Okay, I am going to ask how difficult was the fork work? You replace the springs with a heavier rate, add the Emulators and have to drill and braze some on the stock rods, right?

I have access to a nicely equipped (Dad's) workshop that is mostly configured for woodworking, but we have done fork work on a KE100 several times, so I am no stranger to dismantling the things. (I think the KE100 fork was a damper-rod unit, but my memory is vague on it.) My friend has a Gixxer 1000 he let me ride, and the suspension spoiled me rotten in only 30 minutes. Sweet was all I could think of to describe it. Even my dad's Kat 750 is better than the SV. If I can bring the SV up closer to the Kat for what looks like around $300 and an afternoon of work, I may consider it.

EDIT: Of course, I bet it won't be long before I have to do something about the shock. I blew one stock Suzuki shock last soring. If the replacement goes again this spring, I'll likely get the Ohlins Street Shock and be done with it.