Hello ladies, need some advice... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hello ladies, need some advice...

The Habit
02-25-2005, 09:49
My wife wants to shoot with me but her hands are way too small to shoot my Glock 23. She can barely reach the trigger. We are going to the range to rent a few different guns but I was wondering if you fine ladies might have some recommendations on what to try for someone with dainty hands.

I was thinking about revolvers specifically but which autos are "right sized" for small hands?

MrsKey
02-25-2005, 10:54
Ruger 22/45 or Mark II (I prefer the 22/45 but that's just a personal comfort preference) or a 1911.

My daughter is 9 (or will be in a week) and she can comfortably shoot the 22/45, the 1911 (the recoil is a bit stiff so she doesn't usually shoot more than 5 rounds at a time) and even my Taurus PT99 (which, if you don't know these guns, is a fat gripped large frame 9mm). She has a tougher time with the triger on the DAO S&W 642 (Airweight .38 snubbie) but on the SA/DA Colt Detective Special .38 she has an easier time with both the trigger and the recoil. She has also shot a Kel-Tec P3AT (but hated the recoil) and a Taurus PT111 which she handled well - though the recoil again was a bit stiffer than she liked. Though I assume as she gets older, larger and stronger that these issues will fade.

My daughter stands 4'6" and weighs in at about 65 pounds. Her hand measures about 5 1/2 inches from the ball of her thumb to the tip of her index finger.

So the odds are good that your wife will be able to handle any of the above.

The 22/45 is far and away my daughter's favourite gun because the recoil is nonexistant which makes repetative shooting much more fun for her. 100+ rounds at the range is not unusual for her with the 22/45 before arm fatigue becomes an issue.

Glockgirl26
02-25-2005, 10:57
Maybe she could try a Kahr PM9, they are quite small. I don't have one yet, but I fondled one at the gun store. My hands aren't that big, but it felt tiny to me, I'm more used to Glocks.

Vic303
02-28-2005, 14:13
Revolvers, try the SP-101 or GP-100 from Ruger.
Semi-auto, try a fullsized 1911.

Don't let her get spooked by the size of a 1911 or the fact it's .45acp. It does NOT recoil hard, and is easy to CCW with.
--Vicky

G33
02-28-2005, 18:08
Originally posted by Glockgirl26
Maybe she could try a Kahr PM9, they are quite small. I don't have one yet, but I fondled one at the gun store. My hands aren't that big, but it felt tiny to me, I'm more used to Glocks.

+1 on the PM9.
One of my favorites now.
Tried a lot of guns, BTW.:)

MrsKey
03-01-2005, 06:48
Originally posted by Vic303
Don't let her get spooked by the size of a 1911 or the fact it's .45acp. It does NOT recoil hard, and is easy to CCW with.
--Vicky

Absolutely! A lot of people - including and especially women - find the 1911 to have a very natural grip and be very easy to shoot.

pete1953
03-06-2005, 00:35
Until someone gets used to the recoil, or in my case problems with nerve damage, I would recommend getting a Marver or Ceiner 22 cal conversion for the 1911. It works great, you get practice, develop muscle memory, better than dry firing and you can shoot plenty of rounds cheaply without getting tired from recoil. They make conversions for most Glocks also. Although I haven't found one for the G36 which is a better Glock for small hands. Revolvers, I would recommend a K or L frame say a S&W 686+ 7 round 4", buy Hogue Bantam grips(smaller grip profile) and shoot 38 special loads. If it is for carry a K frame or J frame S&W 640 stainless steel. With any revolver I would recommend an action job, chamfer the charge holes and XS night sights.